Will “Transportation Engineers” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Develop plans for surface transportation projects, according to established engineering standards and state or federal construction policy. Prepare designs, specifications, or estimates for transportation facilities. Plan modifications of existing streets, highways, or freeways to improve traffic flow.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2051.01
Also Known As…
- Transportation Engineer
- Traffic Operations Engineer
- Project Manager
- Transportation Planning Engineer
- Transportation Design Engineer
- Transportation Consultant
- Transportation Analyst
- Traffic Engineer
- Roadway Engineer
- Highway Engineer
- Civil Transportation Engineer
- Airport Engineer
Tasks for “Transportation Engineers”
- Confer with contractors, utility companies, or government agencies to discuss plans, specifications, or work schedules.
- Investigate traffic problems and recommend methods to improve traffic flow or safety.
- Prepare administrative, technical, or statistical reports on traffic-operation matters, such as accidents, safety measures, or pedestrian volume or practices.
- Check construction plans, design calculations, or cost estimations to ensure completeness, accuracy, or conformity to engineering standards or practices.
- Direct the surveying, staking, or laying-out of construction projects.
- Design or engineer drainage, erosion, or sedimentation control systems for transportation projects.
- Model transportation scenarios to evaluate the impacts of activities such as new development or to identify possible solutions to transportation problems.
- Design or prepare plans for new transportation systems or parts of systems, such as airports, commuter trains, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, or roadway lighting.
- Supervise the maintenance or repair of transportation systems or system components.
- Investigate or test specific construction project materials to determine compliance to specifications or standards.
- Prepare project budgets, schedules, or specifications for labor or materials.
- Evaluate construction project materials for compliance with environmental standards.
- Prepare final project layout drawings that include details such as stress calculations.
- Participate in contract bidding, negotiation, or administration.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure safety or compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
- Present data, maps, or other information at construction-related public hearings or meetings.
- Analyze environmental impact statements for transportation projects.
- Plan alteration or modification of existing transportation structures to improve safety or function.
- Evaluate traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Estimate transportation project costs.
- Develop or assist in the development of transportation-related computer software or computer processes.
- Review development plans to determine potential traffic impact.
- Design transportation systems or structures, using sustainable materials or products, such as porous pavement or bioretention structures.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
- Evaluate transportation systems or traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Develop plans to deconstruct damaged or obsolete roadways or other transportation structures in a manner that is environmentally sound or prepares the land for sustainable development.
Related Technology & Tools
- Digital cameras
- Desktop computers
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Laptop computers
- Personal computers
- Computer laser printers
- Mobile radios
- Laser facsimile machines
- Photocopying equipment
- Structured query language SQL
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Citilabs Cube
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- Trafficware SimTraffic
- Bentley MicroStation
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- McTrans HCS+
- Bentley InRoads Suite
- Autodesk Land Desktop
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- McTrans TRANSYT-7F
- Visual Solutions VisSIM
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Excel
- Bentley GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
- SIDRA INTERSECTION
- McTrans TSIS-CORSIM
- Microsoft Project
- Microsoft Word
- Trafficware SynchroGreen
- Web browser software