Will “Transportation Engineers” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Develop plans for surface transportation projects, according to established engineering standards and state or federal construction policy. Prepare designs, specifications, or estimates for transportation facilities. Plan modifications of existing streets, highways, or freeways to improve traffic flow.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2051.01
Also Known As…
- Transportation Engineer
- Traffic Operations Engineer
- Project Manager
- Transportation Planning Engineer
- Transportation Design Engineer
- Transportation Consultant
- Transportation Analyst
- Traffic Engineer
- Roadway Engineer
- Highway Engineer
- Civil Transportation Engineer
- Airport Engineer
Tasks for “Transportation Engineers”
- Analyze environmental impact statements for transportation projects.
- Investigate traffic problems and recommend methods to improve traffic flow or safety.
- Design or engineer drainage, erosion, or sedimentation control systems for transportation projects.
- Develop or assist in the development of transportation-related computer software or computer processes.
- Evaluate traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Plan alteration or modification of existing transportation structures to improve safety or function.
- Estimate transportation project costs.
- Prepare administrative, technical, or statistical reports on traffic-operation matters, such as accidents, safety measures, or pedestrian volume or practices.
- Check construction plans, design calculations, or cost estimations to ensure completeness, accuracy, or conformity to engineering standards or practices.
- Participate in contract bidding, negotiation, or administration.
- Present data, maps, or other information at construction-related public hearings or meetings.
- Design or prepare plans for new transportation systems or parts of systems, such as airports, commuter trains, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, or roadway lighting.
- Evaluate transportation systems or traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Develop plans to deconstruct damaged or obsolete roadways or other transportation structures in a manner that is environmentally sound or prepares the land for sustainable development.
- Confer with contractors, utility companies, or government agencies to discuss plans, specifications, or work schedules.
- Evaluate construction project materials for compliance with environmental standards.
- Direct the surveying, staking, or laying-out of construction projects.
- Prepare project budgets, schedules, or specifications for labor or materials.
- Review development plans to determine potential traffic impact.
- Design transportation systems or structures, using sustainable materials or products, such as porous pavement or bioretention structures.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure safety or compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
- Prepare final project layout drawings that include details such as stress calculations.
- Investigate or test specific construction project materials to determine compliance to specifications or standards.
- Model transportation scenarios to evaluate the impacts of activities such as new development or to identify possible solutions to transportation problems.
- Supervise the maintenance or repair of transportation systems or system components.
Related Technology & Tools
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Laser facsimile machines
- Digital cameras
- Mobile radios
- Laptop computers
- Photocopying equipment
- Desktop computers
- Personal computers
- Computer laser printers
- Microsoft Project
- McTrans HCS+
- Microsoft Word
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Citilabs Cube
- Microsoft Excel
- Web browser software
- Bentley MicroStation
- SIDRA INTERSECTION
- Bentley GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- Trafficware SynchroGreen
- Bentley InRoads Suite
- McTrans TSIS-CORSIM
- McTrans TRANSYT-7F
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Structured query language SQL
- Microsoft Office
- Visual Solutions VisSIM
- Trafficware SimTraffic
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- Autodesk Land Desktop
- Microsoft PowerPoint