Will “Transportation Engineers” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Develop plans for surface transportation projects, according to established engineering standards and state or federal construction policy. Prepare designs, specifications, or estimates for transportation facilities. Plan modifications of existing streets, highways, or freeways to improve traffic flow.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2051.01
Also Known As…
- Transportation Engineer
- Traffic Operations Engineer
- Project Manager
- Transportation Planning Engineer
- Transportation Design Engineer
- Transportation Consultant
- Transportation Analyst
- Traffic Engineer
- Roadway Engineer
- Highway Engineer
- Civil Transportation Engineer
- Airport Engineer
Tasks for “Transportation Engineers”
- Design or engineer drainage, erosion, or sedimentation control systems for transportation projects.
- Prepare administrative, technical, or statistical reports on traffic-operation matters, such as accidents, safety measures, or pedestrian volume or practices.
- Evaluate construction project materials for compliance with environmental standards.
- Prepare project budgets, schedules, or specifications for labor or materials.
- Develop or assist in the development of transportation-related computer software or computer processes.
- Direct the surveying, staking, or laying-out of construction projects.
- Model transportation scenarios to evaluate the impacts of activities such as new development or to identify possible solutions to transportation problems.
- Participate in contract bidding, negotiation, or administration.
- Investigate traffic problems and recommend methods to improve traffic flow or safety.
- Design transportation systems or structures, using sustainable materials or products, such as porous pavement or bioretention structures.
- Design or prepare plans for new transportation systems or parts of systems, such as airports, commuter trains, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, or roadway lighting.
- Analyze environmental impact statements for transportation projects.
- Plan alteration or modification of existing transportation structures to improve safety or function.
- Confer with contractors, utility companies, or government agencies to discuss plans, specifications, or work schedules.
- Review development plans to determine potential traffic impact.
- Evaluate traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Develop plans to deconstruct damaged or obsolete roadways or other transportation structures in a manner that is environmentally sound or prepares the land for sustainable development.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure safety or compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
- Estimate transportation project costs.
- Supervise the maintenance or repair of transportation systems or system components.
- Check construction plans, design calculations, or cost estimations to ensure completeness, accuracy, or conformity to engineering standards or practices.
- Evaluate transportation systems or traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
- Investigate or test specific construction project materials to determine compliance to specifications or standards.
- Present data, maps, or other information at construction-related public hearings or meetings.
- Prepare final project layout drawings that include details such as stress calculations.
Related Technology & Tools
- Laser facsimile machines
- Desktop computers
- Laptop computers
- Mobile radios
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Personal computers
- Photocopying equipment
- Digital cameras
- Computer laser printers
- Web browser software
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Word
- SIDRA INTERSECTION
- McTrans TSIS-CORSIM
- Bentley GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
- Microsoft Excel
- McTrans TRANSYT-7F
- Microsoft Project
- Citilabs Cube
- Trafficware SimTraffic
- McTrans HCS+
- Autodesk Land Desktop
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Visual Solutions VisSIM
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Bentley MicroStation
- Structured query language SQL
- Microsoft Office
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Bentley InRoads Suite
- Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- Trafficware SynchroGreen