Will “Transportation Planning Engineer” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Develop plans for surface transportation projects, according to established engineering standards and state or federal construction policy. Prepare designs, specifications, or estimates for transportation facilities. Plan modifications of existing streets, highways, or freeways to improve traffic flow.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2051.01
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Transportation Engineers”.
Also Known As…
- Transportation Engineers
- Transportation Engineer
- Traffic Operations Engineer
- Project Manager
- Transportation Design Engineer
- Transportation Consultant
- Transportation Analyst
- Traffic Engineer
- Roadway Engineer
- Highway Engineer
- Civil Transportation Engineer
- Airport Engineer
Tasks for “Transportation Planning Engineer”
- Check construction plans, design calculations, or cost estimations to ensure completeness, accuracy, or conformity to engineering standards or practices.
- Prepare project budgets, schedules, or specifications for labor or materials.
- Investigate traffic problems and recommend methods to improve traffic flow or safety.
- Evaluate transportation systems or traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Investigate or test specific construction project materials to determine compliance to specifications or standards.
- Present data, maps, or other information at construction-related public hearings or meetings.
- Review development plans to determine potential traffic impact.
- Develop plans to deconstruct damaged or obsolete roadways or other transportation structures in a manner that is environmentally sound or prepares the land for sustainable development.
- Analyze environmental impact statements for transportation projects.
- Model transportation scenarios to evaluate the impacts of activities such as new development or to identify possible solutions to transportation problems.
- Plan alteration or modification of existing transportation structures to improve safety or function.
- Supervise the maintenance or repair of transportation systems or system components.
- Design or prepare plans for new transportation systems or parts of systems, such as airports, commuter trains, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, or roadway lighting.
- Evaluate traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Prepare final project layout drawings that include details such as stress calculations.
- Direct the surveying, staking, or laying-out of construction projects.
- Confer with contractors, utility companies, or government agencies to discuss plans, specifications, or work schedules.
- Prepare administrative, technical, or statistical reports on traffic-operation matters, such as accidents, safety measures, or pedestrian volume or practices.
- Develop or assist in the development of transportation-related computer software or computer processes.
- Participate in contract bidding, negotiation, or administration.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure safety or compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
- Estimate transportation project costs.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
- Design or engineer drainage, erosion, or sedimentation control systems for transportation projects.
- Evaluate construction project materials for compliance with environmental standards.
- Design transportation systems or structures, using sustainable materials or products, such as porous pavement or bioretention structures.
Related Technology & Tools
- Digital cameras
- Photocopying equipment
- Computer laser printers
- Mobile radios
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Personal computers
- Laser facsimile machines
- Desktop computers
- Laptop computers
- McTrans HCS+
- Visual Solutions VisSIM
- Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- Microsoft Office
- McTrans TSIS-CORSIM
- Microsoft Word
- SIDRA INTERSECTION
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Autodesk Land Desktop
- Microsoft Project
- Bentley GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Bentley MicroStation
- Trafficware SimTraffic
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Structured query language SQL
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- McTrans TRANSYT-7F
- Web browser software
- Citilabs Cube
- Trafficware SynchroGreen
- Microsoft Excel
- Bentley InRoads Suite