Will “Transportation Planning Engineer” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Develop plans for surface transportation projects, according to established engineering standards and state or federal construction policy. Prepare designs, specifications, or estimates for transportation facilities. Plan modifications of existing streets, highways, or freeways to improve traffic flow.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2051.01
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Transportation Engineers”.
Also Known As…
- Transportation Engineers
- Transportation Engineer
- Traffic Operations Engineer
- Project Manager
- Transportation Design Engineer
- Transportation Consultant
- Transportation Analyst
- Traffic Engineer
- Roadway Engineer
- Highway Engineer
- Civil Transportation Engineer
- Airport Engineer
Tasks for “Transportation Planning Engineer”
- Direct the surveying, staking, or laying-out of construction projects.
- Analyze environmental impact statements for transportation projects.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
- Evaluate construction project materials for compliance with environmental standards.
- Plan alteration or modification of existing transportation structures to improve safety or function.
- Evaluate traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Estimate transportation project costs.
- Check construction plans, design calculations, or cost estimations to ensure completeness, accuracy, or conformity to engineering standards or practices.
- Present data, maps, or other information at construction-related public hearings or meetings.
- Evaluate transportation systems or traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Develop plans to deconstruct damaged or obsolete roadways or other transportation structures in a manner that is environmentally sound or prepares the land for sustainable development.
- Design transportation systems or structures, using sustainable materials or products, such as porous pavement or bioretention structures.
- Confer with contractors, utility companies, or government agencies to discuss plans, specifications, or work schedules.
- Investigate or test specific construction project materials to determine compliance to specifications or standards.
- Review development plans to determine potential traffic impact.
- Prepare administrative, technical, or statistical reports on traffic-operation matters, such as accidents, safety measures, or pedestrian volume or practices.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure safety or compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
- Design or engineer drainage, erosion, or sedimentation control systems for transportation projects.
- Model transportation scenarios to evaluate the impacts of activities such as new development or to identify possible solutions to transportation problems.
- Investigate traffic problems and recommend methods to improve traffic flow or safety.
- Prepare final project layout drawings that include details such as stress calculations.
- Supervise the maintenance or repair of transportation systems or system components.
- Develop or assist in the development of transportation-related computer software or computer processes.
- Participate in contract bidding, negotiation, or administration.
- Prepare project budgets, schedules, or specifications for labor or materials.
- Design or prepare plans for new transportation systems or parts of systems, such as airports, commuter trains, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, or roadway lighting.
Related Technology & Tools
- Computer laser printers
- Digital cameras
- Personal computers
- Photocopying equipment
- Mobile radios
- Desktop computers
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Laptop computers
- Laser facsimile machines
- Structured query language SQL
- SIDRA INTERSECTION
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Trafficware SimTraffic
- McTrans TRANSYT-7F
- Web browser software
- Bentley GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
- McTrans TSIS-CORSIM
- Autodesk Land Desktop
- Trafficware SynchroGreen
- Citilabs Cube
- Bentley InRoads Suite
- Visual Solutions VisSIM
- McTrans HCS+
- Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- Microsoft Excel
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Microsoft Project
- Bentley MicroStation
- Microsoft Word
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D