Will “Transportation Planning Engineer” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Develop plans for surface transportation projects, according to established engineering standards and state or federal construction policy. Prepare designs, specifications, or estimates for transportation facilities. Plan modifications of existing streets, highways, or freeways to improve traffic flow.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2051.01
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Transportation Engineers”.
Also Known As…
- Transportation Engineers
- Transportation Engineer
- Traffic Operations Engineer
- Project Manager
- Transportation Design Engineer
- Transportation Consultant
- Transportation Analyst
- Traffic Engineer
- Roadway Engineer
- Highway Engineer
- Civil Transportation Engineer
- Airport Engineer
Tasks for “Transportation Planning Engineer”
- Participate in contract bidding, negotiation, or administration.
- Analyze environmental impact statements for transportation projects.
- Design or prepare plans for new transportation systems or parts of systems, such as airports, commuter trains, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, or roadway lighting.
- Review development plans to determine potential traffic impact.
- Check construction plans, design calculations, or cost estimations to ensure completeness, accuracy, or conformity to engineering standards or practices.
- Evaluate traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Design or engineer drainage, erosion, or sedimentation control systems for transportation projects.
- Plan alteration or modification of existing transportation structures to improve safety or function.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure safety or compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
- Confer with contractors, utility companies, or government agencies to discuss plans, specifications, or work schedules.
- Model transportation scenarios to evaluate the impacts of activities such as new development or to identify possible solutions to transportation problems.
- Develop or assist in the development of transportation-related computer software or computer processes.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
- Present data, maps, or other information at construction-related public hearings or meetings.
- Investigate traffic problems and recommend methods to improve traffic flow or safety.
- Design transportation systems or structures, using sustainable materials or products, such as porous pavement or bioretention structures.
- Direct the surveying, staking, or laying-out of construction projects.
- Prepare administrative, technical, or statistical reports on traffic-operation matters, such as accidents, safety measures, or pedestrian volume or practices.
- Supervise the maintenance or repair of transportation systems or system components.
- Estimate transportation project costs.
- Evaluate construction project materials for compliance with environmental standards.
- Investigate or test specific construction project materials to determine compliance to specifications or standards.
- Evaluate transportation systems or traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Develop plans to deconstruct damaged or obsolete roadways or other transportation structures in a manner that is environmentally sound or prepares the land for sustainable development.
- Prepare final project layout drawings that include details such as stress calculations.
- Prepare project budgets, schedules, or specifications for labor or materials.
Related Technology & Tools
- Laptop computers
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Personal computers
- Photocopying equipment
- Mobile radios
- Laser facsimile machines
- Digital cameras
- Computer laser printers
- Desktop computers
- McTrans TSIS-CORSIM
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- McTrans HCS+
- Trafficware SimTraffic
- Microsoft Word
- McTrans TRANSYT-7F
- Autodesk Land Desktop
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Project
- Microsoft Excel
- Bentley GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Structured query language SQL
- Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- SIDRA INTERSECTION
- Citilabs Cube
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Bentley MicroStation
- Visual Solutions VisSIM
- Trafficware SynchroGreen
- Bentley InRoads Suite
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Office