Will “Civil Transportation Engineer” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Develop plans for surface transportation projects, according to established engineering standards and state or federal construction policy. Prepare designs, specifications, or estimates for transportation facilities. Plan modifications of existing streets, highways, or freeways to improve traffic flow.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2051.01
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Transportation Engineers”.
Also Known As…
- Transportation Engineers
- Transportation Engineer
- Traffic Operations Engineer
- Project Manager
- Transportation Planning Engineer
- Transportation Design Engineer
- Transportation Consultant
- Transportation Analyst
- Traffic Engineer
- Roadway Engineer
- Highway Engineer
- Airport Engineer
Tasks for “Civil Transportation Engineer”
- Prepare administrative, technical, or statistical reports on traffic-operation matters, such as accidents, safety measures, or pedestrian volume or practices.
- Evaluate construction project materials for compliance with environmental standards.
- Develop plans to deconstruct damaged or obsolete roadways or other transportation structures in a manner that is environmentally sound or prepares the land for sustainable development.
- Present data, maps, or other information at construction-related public hearings or meetings.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure safety or compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
- Review development plans to determine potential traffic impact.
- Prepare project budgets, schedules, or specifications for labor or materials.
- Evaluate traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Prepare final project layout drawings that include details such as stress calculations.
- Confer with contractors, utility companies, or government agencies to discuss plans, specifications, or work schedules.
- Investigate traffic problems and recommend methods to improve traffic flow or safety.
- Analyze environmental impact statements for transportation projects.
- Design transportation systems or structures, using sustainable materials or products, such as porous pavement or bioretention structures.
- Evaluate transportation systems or traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Check construction plans, design calculations, or cost estimations to ensure completeness, accuracy, or conformity to engineering standards or practices.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
- Direct the surveying, staking, or laying-out of construction projects.
- Model transportation scenarios to evaluate the impacts of activities such as new development or to identify possible solutions to transportation problems.
- Participate in contract bidding, negotiation, or administration.
- Develop or assist in the development of transportation-related computer software or computer processes.
- Estimate transportation project costs.
- Design or engineer drainage, erosion, or sedimentation control systems for transportation projects.
- Design or prepare plans for new transportation systems or parts of systems, such as airports, commuter trains, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, or roadway lighting.
- Plan alteration or modification of existing transportation structures to improve safety or function.
- Investigate or test specific construction project materials to determine compliance to specifications or standards.
- Supervise the maintenance or repair of transportation systems or system components.
Related Technology & Tools
- Photocopying equipment
- Laptop computers
- Digital cameras
- Mobile radios
- Personal computers
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Computer laser printers
- Laser facsimile machines
- Desktop computers
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Visual Solutions VisSIM
- Microsoft Office
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Word
- Web browser software
- Bentley InRoads Suite
- McTrans HCS+
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Trafficware SimTraffic
- Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- Microsoft Project
- Citilabs Cube
- SIDRA INTERSECTION
- McTrans TRANSYT-7F
- Autodesk Land Desktop
- McTrans TSIS-CORSIM
- Trafficware SynchroGreen
- Bentley GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
- Microsoft Excel
- Structured query language SQL
- Bentley MicroStation