Will “Civil Transportation Engineer” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Develop plans for surface transportation projects, according to established engineering standards and state or federal construction policy. Prepare designs, specifications, or estimates for transportation facilities. Plan modifications of existing streets, highways, or freeways to improve traffic flow.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2051.01
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Transportation Engineers”.
Also Known As…
- Transportation Engineers
- Transportation Engineer
- Traffic Operations Engineer
- Project Manager
- Transportation Planning Engineer
- Transportation Design Engineer
- Transportation Consultant
- Transportation Analyst
- Traffic Engineer
- Roadway Engineer
- Highway Engineer
- Airport Engineer
Tasks for “Civil Transportation Engineer”
- Evaluate traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Check construction plans, design calculations, or cost estimations to ensure completeness, accuracy, or conformity to engineering standards or practices.
- Analyze environmental impact statements for transportation projects.
- Supervise the maintenance or repair of transportation systems or system components.
- Evaluate transportation systems or traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Participate in contract bidding, negotiation, or administration.
- Plan alteration or modification of existing transportation structures to improve safety or function.
- Prepare project budgets, schedules, or specifications for labor or materials.
- Prepare administrative, technical, or statistical reports on traffic-operation matters, such as accidents, safety measures, or pedestrian volume or practices.
- Prepare final project layout drawings that include details such as stress calculations.
- Present data, maps, or other information at construction-related public hearings or meetings.
- Review development plans to determine potential traffic impact.
- Evaluate construction project materials for compliance with environmental standards.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
- Develop plans to deconstruct damaged or obsolete roadways or other transportation structures in a manner that is environmentally sound or prepares the land for sustainable development.
- Confer with contractors, utility companies, or government agencies to discuss plans, specifications, or work schedules.
- Direct the surveying, staking, or laying-out of construction projects.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure safety or compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
- Design or prepare plans for new transportation systems or parts of systems, such as airports, commuter trains, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, or roadway lighting.
- Design or engineer drainage, erosion, or sedimentation control systems for transportation projects.
- Investigate traffic problems and recommend methods to improve traffic flow or safety.
- Model transportation scenarios to evaluate the impacts of activities such as new development or to identify possible solutions to transportation problems.
- Develop or assist in the development of transportation-related computer software or computer processes.
- Investigate or test specific construction project materials to determine compliance to specifications or standards.
- Design transportation systems or structures, using sustainable materials or products, such as porous pavement or bioretention structures.
- Estimate transportation project costs.
Related Technology & Tools
- Mobile radios
- Personal computers
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Laptop computers
- Desktop computers
- Computer laser printers
- Digital cameras
- Laser facsimile machines
- Photocopying equipment
- Microsoft Word
- McTrans HCS+
- Web browser software
- Trafficware SynchroGreen
- Trafficware SimTraffic
- Microsoft Excel
- SIDRA INTERSECTION
- Bentley MicroStation
- McTrans TSIS-CORSIM
- Citilabs Cube
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Microsoft Project
- Bentley InRoads Suite
- Microsoft Office
- Bentley GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- McTrans TRANSYT-7F
- Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- Visual Solutions VisSIM
- Autodesk Land Desktop
- Structured query language SQL
- ESRI ArcGIS software