Will “Civil Transportation Engineer” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Develop plans for surface transportation projects, according to established engineering standards and state or federal construction policy. Prepare designs, specifications, or estimates for transportation facilities. Plan modifications of existing streets, highways, or freeways to improve traffic flow.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2051.01
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Transportation Engineers”.
Also Known As…
- Transportation Engineers
- Transportation Engineer
- Traffic Operations Engineer
- Project Manager
- Transportation Planning Engineer
- Transportation Design Engineer
- Transportation Consultant
- Transportation Analyst
- Traffic Engineer
- Roadway Engineer
- Highway Engineer
- Airport Engineer
Tasks for “Civil Transportation Engineer”
- Design or prepare plans for new transportation systems or parts of systems, such as airports, commuter trains, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, or roadway lighting.
- Plan alteration or modification of existing transportation structures to improve safety or function.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure safety or compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
- Design or engineer drainage, erosion, or sedimentation control systems for transportation projects.
- Supervise the maintenance or repair of transportation systems or system components.
- Investigate or test specific construction project materials to determine compliance to specifications or standards.
- Evaluate transportation systems or traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Check construction plans, design calculations, or cost estimations to ensure completeness, accuracy, or conformity to engineering standards or practices.
- Develop or assist in the development of transportation-related computer software or computer processes.
- Evaluate traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Prepare administrative, technical, or statistical reports on traffic-operation matters, such as accidents, safety measures, or pedestrian volume or practices.
- Model transportation scenarios to evaluate the impacts of activities such as new development or to identify possible solutions to transportation problems.
- Develop plans to deconstruct damaged or obsolete roadways or other transportation structures in a manner that is environmentally sound or prepares the land for sustainable development.
- Prepare project budgets, schedules, or specifications for labor or materials.
- Confer with contractors, utility companies, or government agencies to discuss plans, specifications, or work schedules.
- Analyze environmental impact statements for transportation projects.
- Investigate traffic problems and recommend methods to improve traffic flow or safety.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
- Participate in contract bidding, negotiation, or administration.
- Review development plans to determine potential traffic impact.
- Evaluate construction project materials for compliance with environmental standards.
- Estimate transportation project costs.
- Direct the surveying, staking, or laying-out of construction projects.
- Prepare final project layout drawings that include details such as stress calculations.
- Design transportation systems or structures, using sustainable materials or products, such as porous pavement or bioretention structures.
- Present data, maps, or other information at construction-related public hearings or meetings.
Related Technology & Tools
- Laptop computers
- Digital cameras
- Laser facsimile machines
- Computer laser printers
- Photocopying equipment
- Desktop computers
- Mobile radios
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Personal computers
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Project
- Citilabs Cube
- Microsoft Excel
- Visual Solutions VisSIM
- Bentley GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
- Bentley InRoads Suite
- McTrans TRANSYT-7F
- Microsoft Office
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Trafficware SynchroGreen
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- McTrans TSIS-CORSIM
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- Autodesk Land Desktop
- McTrans HCS+
- SIDRA INTERSECTION
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Bentley MicroStation
- Structured query language SQL
- Trafficware SimTraffic
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Microsoft Word