Will “Transportation Design Engineer” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Develop plans for surface transportation projects, according to established engineering standards and state or federal construction policy. Prepare designs, specifications, or estimates for transportation facilities. Plan modifications of existing streets, highways, or freeways to improve traffic flow.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2051.01
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Transportation Engineers”.
Also Known As…
- Transportation Engineers
- Transportation Engineer
- Traffic Operations Engineer
- Project Manager
- Transportation Planning Engineer
- Transportation Consultant
- Transportation Analyst
- Traffic Engineer
- Roadway Engineer
- Highway Engineer
- Civil Transportation Engineer
- Airport Engineer
Tasks for “Transportation Design Engineer”
- Participate in contract bidding, negotiation, or administration.
- Plan alteration or modification of existing transportation structures to improve safety or function.
- Model transportation scenarios to evaluate the impacts of activities such as new development or to identify possible solutions to transportation problems.
- Supervise the maintenance or repair of transportation systems or system components.
- Develop or assist in the development of transportation-related computer software or computer processes.
- Prepare administrative, technical, or statistical reports on traffic-operation matters, such as accidents, safety measures, or pedestrian volume or practices.
- Design or engineer drainage, erosion, or sedimentation control systems for transportation projects.
- Design transportation systems or structures, using sustainable materials or products, such as porous pavement or bioretention structures.
- Evaluate construction project materials for compliance with environmental standards.
- Evaluate transportation systems or traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Develop plans to deconstruct damaged or obsolete roadways or other transportation structures in a manner that is environmentally sound or prepares the land for sustainable development.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure safety or compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
- Check construction plans, design calculations, or cost estimations to ensure completeness, accuracy, or conformity to engineering standards or practices.
- Design or prepare plans for new transportation systems or parts of systems, such as airports, commuter trains, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, or roadway lighting.
- Confer with contractors, utility companies, or government agencies to discuss plans, specifications, or work schedules.
- Evaluate traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Prepare final project layout drawings that include details such as stress calculations.
- Analyze environmental impact statements for transportation projects.
- Investigate or test specific construction project materials to determine compliance to specifications or standards.
- Investigate traffic problems and recommend methods to improve traffic flow or safety.
- Review development plans to determine potential traffic impact.
- Present data, maps, or other information at construction-related public hearings or meetings.
- Estimate transportation project costs.
- Direct the surveying, staking, or laying-out of construction projects.
- Prepare project budgets, schedules, or specifications for labor or materials.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
Related Technology & Tools
- Laptop computers
- Personal computers
- Mobile radios
- Computer laser printers
- Laser facsimile machines
- Digital cameras
- Desktop computers
- Photocopying equipment
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- McTrans TRANSYT-7F
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- McTrans TSIS-CORSIM
- Bentley GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
- Microsoft Word
- Bentley MicroStation
- Citilabs Cube
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Trafficware SynchroGreen
- McTrans HCS+
- SIDRA INTERSECTION
- Web browser software
- Visual Solutions VisSIM
- Microsoft Project
- Microsoft Office
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Structured query language SQL
- Trafficware SimTraffic
- Microsoft Excel
- Bentley InRoads Suite
- Autodesk Land Desktop