Will “Transportation Design Engineer” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Develop plans for surface transportation projects, according to established engineering standards and state or federal construction policy. Prepare designs, specifications, or estimates for transportation facilities. Plan modifications of existing streets, highways, or freeways to improve traffic flow.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2051.01
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Transportation Engineers”.
Also Known As…
- Transportation Engineers
- Transportation Engineer
- Traffic Operations Engineer
- Project Manager
- Transportation Planning Engineer
- Transportation Consultant
- Transportation Analyst
- Traffic Engineer
- Roadway Engineer
- Highway Engineer
- Civil Transportation Engineer
- Airport Engineer
Tasks for “Transportation Design Engineer”
- Prepare administrative, technical, or statistical reports on traffic-operation matters, such as accidents, safety measures, or pedestrian volume or practices.
- Evaluate traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Model transportation scenarios to evaluate the impacts of activities such as new development or to identify possible solutions to transportation problems.
- Evaluate construction project materials for compliance with environmental standards.
- Develop or assist in the development of transportation-related computer software or computer processes.
- Participate in contract bidding, negotiation, or administration.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
- Design transportation systems or structures, using sustainable materials or products, such as porous pavement or bioretention structures.
- Plan alteration or modification of existing transportation structures to improve safety or function.
- Present data, maps, or other information at construction-related public hearings or meetings.
- Estimate transportation project costs.
- Investigate traffic problems and recommend methods to improve traffic flow or safety.
- Review development plans to determine potential traffic impact.
- Supervise the maintenance or repair of transportation systems or system components.
- Check construction plans, design calculations, or cost estimations to ensure completeness, accuracy, or conformity to engineering standards or practices.
- Prepare project budgets, schedules, or specifications for labor or materials.
- Investigate or test specific construction project materials to determine compliance to specifications or standards.
- Analyze environmental impact statements for transportation projects.
- Evaluate transportation systems or traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Design or prepare plans for new transportation systems or parts of systems, such as airports, commuter trains, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, or roadway lighting.
- Direct the surveying, staking, or laying-out of construction projects.
- Confer with contractors, utility companies, or government agencies to discuss plans, specifications, or work schedules.
- Design or engineer drainage, erosion, or sedimentation control systems for transportation projects.
- Develop plans to deconstruct damaged or obsolete roadways or other transportation structures in a manner that is environmentally sound or prepares the land for sustainable development.
- Prepare final project layout drawings that include details such as stress calculations.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure safety or compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
Related Technology & Tools
- Laptop computers
- Mobile radios
- Personal computers
- Laser facsimile machines
- Desktop computers
- Photocopying equipment
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Digital cameras
- Computer laser printers
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Project
- McTrans TSIS-CORSIM
- Autodesk Land Desktop
- Bentley InRoads Suite
- McTrans HCS+
- Citilabs Cube
- Trafficware SimTraffic
- Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- Microsoft Excel
- Bentley MicroStation
- Microsoft Office
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Structured query language SQL
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Microsoft Word
- SIDRA INTERSECTION
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- Trafficware SynchroGreen
- Bentley GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
- Visual Solutions VisSIM
- McTrans TRANSYT-7F