Will “Transportation Design Engineer” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Develop plans for surface transportation projects, according to established engineering standards and state or federal construction policy. Prepare designs, specifications, or estimates for transportation facilities. Plan modifications of existing streets, highways, or freeways to improve traffic flow.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2051.01
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Transportation Engineers”.
Also Known As…
- Transportation Engineers
- Transportation Engineer
- Traffic Operations Engineer
- Project Manager
- Transportation Planning Engineer
- Transportation Consultant
- Transportation Analyst
- Traffic Engineer
- Roadway Engineer
- Highway Engineer
- Civil Transportation Engineer
- Airport Engineer
Tasks for “Transportation Design Engineer”
- Model transportation scenarios to evaluate the impacts of activities such as new development or to identify possible solutions to transportation problems.
- Participate in contract bidding, negotiation, or administration.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
- Supervise the maintenance or repair of transportation systems or system components.
- Design transportation systems or structures, using sustainable materials or products, such as porous pavement or bioretention structures.
- Prepare administrative, technical, or statistical reports on traffic-operation matters, such as accidents, safety measures, or pedestrian volume or practices.
- Present data, maps, or other information at construction-related public hearings or meetings.
- Check construction plans, design calculations, or cost estimations to ensure completeness, accuracy, or conformity to engineering standards or practices.
- Analyze environmental impact statements for transportation projects.
- Investigate or test specific construction project materials to determine compliance to specifications or standards.
- Investigate traffic problems and recommend methods to improve traffic flow or safety.
- Plan alteration or modification of existing transportation structures to improve safety or function.
- Design or engineer drainage, erosion, or sedimentation control systems for transportation projects.
- Estimate transportation project costs.
- Develop plans to deconstruct damaged or obsolete roadways or other transportation structures in a manner that is environmentally sound or prepares the land for sustainable development.
- Confer with contractors, utility companies, or government agencies to discuss plans, specifications, or work schedules.
- Develop or assist in the development of transportation-related computer software or computer processes.
- Evaluate construction project materials for compliance with environmental standards.
- Direct the surveying, staking, or laying-out of construction projects.
- Prepare project budgets, schedules, or specifications for labor or materials.
- Evaluate transportation systems or traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Prepare final project layout drawings that include details such as stress calculations.
- Review development plans to determine potential traffic impact.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure safety or compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
- Evaluate traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Design or prepare plans for new transportation systems or parts of systems, such as airports, commuter trains, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, or roadway lighting.
Related Technology & Tools
- Digital cameras
- Laptop computers
- Computer laser printers
- Laser facsimile machines
- Desktop computers
- Mobile radios
- Photocopying equipment
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Personal computers
- Autodesk Land Desktop
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- McTrans HCS+
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Office
- Structured query language SQL
- Bentley MicroStation
- SIDRA INTERSECTION
- Trafficware SimTraffic
- Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- Microsoft Excel
- Citilabs Cube
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- McTrans TSIS-CORSIM
- Microsoft Project
- McTrans TRANSYT-7F
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Visual Solutions VisSIM
- Bentley GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Trafficware SynchroGreen
- Bentley InRoads Suite
- ESRI ArcGIS software