Will “Dispensing and Measuring Optician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
71% Chance of Automation
“Dispensing and Measuring Optician” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #391 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assist client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assist client with selecting frames. Measure customer for size of eyeglasses and coordinate frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepare work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames. Verify exactness of finished lens spectacles. Adjust frame and lens position to fit client. May shape or reshape frames. Includes contact lens opticians.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,860.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 75,270 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Opticians, Dispensing”.
Also Known As…
- Opticians, Dispensing
- Optometric Technician
- Optometric Assistant
- Optical Technician
- Ophthalmic Dispenser
- Licensed Optician
- Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)
- Dispensing Optician
- Contact Lens Technician
- Certified Optician
- Optician Apprentice
- Optical Manager
- Optical Dispenser
- Optical Assistant
- Licensed Optical Dispenser
- Eyeglass Fitter
- Dispensing Optician Apprentice
- Contact Lens Fitter
Tasks for “Dispensing and Measuring Optician”
- Instruct clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Supervise the training of student opticians.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
- Grind lens edges, or apply coatings to lenses.
- Determine clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Maintain records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Evaluate prescriptions in conjunction with clients' vocational and avocational visual requirements.
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Fabricate lenses to meet prescription specifications.
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise.
- Measure clients' bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
- Repair damaged frames.
- Show customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Prepare work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Assemble eyeglasses by cutting and edging lenses, and fitting the lenses into frames.
- Sell goods such as contact lenses, spectacles, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
Related Technology & Tools
- Contact lens tweezers
- End piece pliers
- Bracing pliers
- Optical cutting pliers
- Laptop computers
- Digital pupilometers
- Hex wrenches
- Lens clocks
- Lens aligning pliers
- Lens files
- Optometric lensometers
- Screw-holding tweezers
- Straight screwdrivers
- Snellen eye charts
- Desktop computers
- Cash registers
- Snipe nose pliers
- Flat nose pliers
- Chain nose pliers
- Dial calipers
- Frame warmers
- Angling pliers
- Cold-bend pliers
- Half-round files
- Nose pad adjusting pliers
- Pickup screwdrivers
- Credit card processing machines
- Digital calipers
- Personal computers
- Millimeter rules
- Bushing pullers
- Lens analyzers
- Contact lens thickness gauges
- Optical screwdrivers
- Hollow snipe pliers
- Phillips head screwdrivers
- Microsoft Word
- Cygnet Infotech Optifocus
- First Insight MaximEyes
- Specialist Data Solutions OctoPlus
- Insight Software My Vision Express
- HealthLine Systems Eyecom
- Compulink Eyecare Advantage
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Microsoft Excel
- Diversified Ophthalmics Practice Maximus
- Point of sale POS software
- EZ-Zone Optizone Enterprise
- EMRlogic Systems ENTERPRISE Visions
- OfficeMate Software Solutions OfficeMate
- Microsoft Office