Will “Dispensing and Measuring Optician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
71% Chance of Automation
“Dispensing and Measuring Optician” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #391 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assist client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assist client with selecting frames. Measure customer for size of eyeglasses and coordinate frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepare work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames. Verify exactness of finished lens spectacles. Adjust frame and lens position to fit client. May shape or reshape frames. Includes contact lens opticians.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,860.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 75,270 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Opticians, Dispensing”.
Also Known As…
- Opticians, Dispensing
- Optometric Technician
- Optometric Assistant
- Optical Technician
- Ophthalmic Dispenser
- Licensed Optician
- Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)
- Dispensing Optician
- Contact Lens Technician
- Certified Optician
- Optician Apprentice
- Optical Manager
- Optical Dispenser
- Optical Assistant
- Licensed Optical Dispenser
- Eyeglass Fitter
- Dispensing Optician Apprentice
- Contact Lens Fitter
Tasks for “Dispensing and Measuring Optician”
- Evaluate prescriptions in conjunction with clients' vocational and avocational visual requirements.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
- Determine clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
- Fabricate lenses to meet prescription specifications.
- Instruct clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
- Repair damaged frames.
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Maintain records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Prepare work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Grind lens edges, or apply coatings to lenses.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Show customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Sell goods such as contact lenses, spectacles, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Measure clients' bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
- Supervise the training of student opticians.
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Assemble eyeglasses by cutting and edging lenses, and fitting the lenses into frames.
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise.
Related Technology & Tools
- Laptop computers
- Bracing pliers
- Hollow snipe pliers
- Bushing pullers
- Hex wrenches
- Nose pad adjusting pliers
- Snipe nose pliers
- Optical screwdrivers
- Desktop computers
- Flat nose pliers
- Contact lens tweezers
- Cold-bend pliers
- Millimeter rules
- Contact lens thickness gauges
- Dial calipers
- Lens analyzers
- Cash registers
- Pickup screwdrivers
- Screw-holding tweezers
- Chain nose pliers
- Frame warmers
- Phillips head screwdrivers
- Lens clocks
- Straight screwdrivers
- Half-round files
- Optometric lensometers
- Snellen eye charts
- Lens aligning pliers
- Personal computers
- Lens files
- Angling pliers
- Credit card processing machines
- End piece pliers
- Optical cutting pliers
- Digital calipers
- Digital pupilometers
- EMRlogic Systems ENTERPRISE Visions
- OfficeMate Software Solutions OfficeMate
- Microsoft Excel
- Compulink Eyecare Advantage
- Cygnet Infotech Optifocus
- Intuit QuickBooks
- First Insight MaximEyes
- Specialist Data Solutions OctoPlus
- Diversified Ophthalmics Practice Maximus
- Insight Software My Vision Express
- HealthLine Systems Eyecom
- Microsoft Office
- EZ-Zone Optizone Enterprise
- Point of sale POS software
- Microsoft Word