Will “Licensed Optical Dispenser” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
71% Chance of Automation
“Licensed Optical Dispenser” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #391 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assist client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assist client with selecting frames. Measure customer for size of eyeglasses and coordinate frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepare work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames. Verify exactness of finished lens spectacles. Adjust frame and lens position to fit client. May shape or reshape frames. Includes contact lens opticians.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,860.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 75,270 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Opticians, Dispensing”.
Also Known As…
- Opticians, Dispensing
- Optometric Technician
- Optometric Assistant
- Optical Technician
- Ophthalmic Dispenser
- Licensed Optician
- Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)
- Dispensing Optician
- Contact Lens Technician
- Certified Optician
- Optician Apprentice
- Optical Manager
- Optical Dispenser
- Optical Assistant
- Eyeglass Fitter
- Dispensing Optician Apprentice
- Dispensing and Measuring Optician
- Contact Lens Fitter
Tasks for “Licensed Optical Dispenser”
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Instruct clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
- Show customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Grind lens edges, or apply coatings to lenses.
- Prepare work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Determine clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise.
- Fabricate lenses to meet prescription specifications.
- Evaluate prescriptions in conjunction with clients' vocational and avocational visual requirements.
- Measure clients' bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
- Supervise the training of student opticians.
- Assemble eyeglasses by cutting and edging lenses, and fitting the lenses into frames.
- Sell goods such as contact lenses, spectacles, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
- Maintain records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Repair damaged frames.
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
Related Technology & Tools
- Straight screwdrivers
- Lens analyzers
- Laptop computers
- Personal computers
- Lens aligning pliers
- Cash registers
- Contact lens tweezers
- Lens files
- Digital pupilometers
- Credit card processing machines
- Bushing pullers
- Dial calipers
- Angling pliers
- Cold-bend pliers
- Optical cutting pliers
- Phillips head screwdrivers
- Hex wrenches
- Optometric lensometers
- Digital calipers
- Bracing pliers
- Lens clocks
- Chain nose pliers
- Millimeter rules
- Snellen eye charts
- Screw-holding tweezers
- End piece pliers
- Frame warmers
- Half-round files
- Nose pad adjusting pliers
- Desktop computers
- Flat nose pliers
- Contact lens thickness gauges
- Snipe nose pliers
- Optical screwdrivers
- Pickup screwdrivers
- Hollow snipe pliers
- EZ-Zone Optizone Enterprise
- Microsoft Excel
- Insight Software My Vision Express
- HealthLine Systems Eyecom
- Cygnet Infotech Optifocus
- Compulink Eyecare Advantage
- Diversified Ophthalmics Practice Maximus
- First Insight MaximEyes
- OfficeMate Software Solutions OfficeMate
- EMRlogic Systems ENTERPRISE Visions
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Point of sale POS software
- Specialist Data Solutions OctoPlus