Will “Licensed Optician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
71% Chance of Automation
“Licensed Optician” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #391 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assist client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assist client with selecting frames. Measure customer for size of eyeglasses and coordinate frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepare work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames. Verify exactness of finished lens spectacles. Adjust frame and lens position to fit client. May shape or reshape frames. Includes contact lens opticians.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,860.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 75,270 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Opticians, Dispensing”.
Also Known As…
- Opticians, Dispensing
- Optometric Technician
- Optometric Assistant
- Optical Technician
- Ophthalmic Dispenser
- Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)
- Dispensing Optician
- Contact Lens Technician
- Certified Optician
- Optician Apprentice
- Optical Manager
- Optical Dispenser
- Optical Assistant
- Licensed Optician
- Licensed Optical Dispenser
- Eyeglass Fitter
- Dispensing Optician Apprentice
- Dispensing and Measuring Optician
- Contact Lens Fitter
Tasks for “Licensed Optician”
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Sell goods such as contact lenses, spectacles, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
- Repair damaged frames.
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Determine clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
- Grind lens edges, or apply coatings to lenses.
- Maintain records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Instruct clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
- Prepare work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise.
- Evaluate prescriptions in conjunction with clients' vocational and avocational visual requirements.
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Assemble eyeglasses by cutting and edging lenses, and fitting the lenses into frames.
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Fabricate lenses to meet prescription specifications.
- Show customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Supervise the training of student opticians.
- Measure clients' bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
Related Technology & Tools
- Straight screwdrivers
- Frame warmers
- Phillips head screwdrivers
- Credit card processing machines
- Cash registers
- Hollow snipe pliers
- Flat nose pliers
- Millimeter rules
- Lens clocks
- Cold-bend pliers
- Hex wrenches
- Personal computers
- Half-round files
- Optometric lensometers
- Digital pupilometers
- Lens analyzers
- Lens files
- Optical cutting pliers
- Screw-holding tweezers
- Laptop computers
- Dial calipers
- Optical screwdrivers
- Snipe nose pliers
- Chain nose pliers
- Desktop computers
- Snellen eye charts
- Pickup screwdrivers
- Lens aligning pliers
- Bushing pullers
- Bracing pliers
- End piece pliers
- Nose pad adjusting pliers
- Digital calipers
- Angling pliers
- Contact lens tweezers
- Contact lens thickness gauges
- Specialist Data Solutions OctoPlus
- Microsoft Office
- Point of sale POS software
- Compulink Eyecare Advantage
- Microsoft Word
- Diversified Ophthalmics Practice Maximus
- First Insight MaximEyes
- Microsoft Excel
- EMRlogic Systems ENTERPRISE Visions
- Cygnet Infotech Optifocus
- Insight Software My Vision Express
- EZ-Zone Optizone Enterprise
- Intuit QuickBooks
- HealthLine Systems Eyecom
- OfficeMate Software Solutions OfficeMate