Will “Licensed Optician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
71% Chance of Automation
“Licensed Optician” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #391 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assist client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assist client with selecting frames. Measure customer for size of eyeglasses and coordinate frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepare work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames. Verify exactness of finished lens spectacles. Adjust frame and lens position to fit client. May shape or reshape frames. Includes contact lens opticians.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,860.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 75,270 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Opticians, Dispensing”.
Also Known As…
- Opticians, Dispensing
- Optometric Technician
- Optometric Assistant
- Optical Technician
- Ophthalmic Dispenser
- Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)
- Dispensing Optician
- Contact Lens Technician
- Certified Optician
- Optician Apprentice
- Optical Manager
- Optical Dispenser
- Optical Assistant
- Licensed Optician
- Licensed Optical Dispenser
- Eyeglass Fitter
- Dispensing Optician Apprentice
- Dispensing and Measuring Optician
- Contact Lens Fitter
Tasks for “Licensed Optician”
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Show customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Determine clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
- Sell goods such as contact lenses, spectacles, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Maintain records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Evaluate prescriptions in conjunction with clients' vocational and avocational visual requirements.
- Repair damaged frames.
- Supervise the training of student opticians.
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise.
- Fabricate lenses to meet prescription specifications.
- Measure clients' bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
- Instruct clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
- Prepare work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Assemble eyeglasses by cutting and edging lenses, and fitting the lenses into frames.
- Grind lens edges, or apply coatings to lenses.
Related Technology & Tools
- Hollow snipe pliers
- Optometric lensometers
- Lens files
- Chain nose pliers
- Snellen eye charts
- Snipe nose pliers
- Personal computers
- Half-round files
- Millimeter rules
- Contact lens thickness gauges
- Hex wrenches
- Straight screwdrivers
- Laptop computers
- Lens clocks
- End piece pliers
- Bracing pliers
- Digital calipers
- Screw-holding tweezers
- Lens analyzers
- Frame warmers
- Nose pad adjusting pliers
- Digital pupilometers
- Dial calipers
- Contact lens tweezers
- Pickup screwdrivers
- Bushing pullers
- Cold-bend pliers
- Credit card processing machines
- Flat nose pliers
- Optical screwdrivers
- Cash registers
- Optical cutting pliers
- Lens aligning pliers
- Phillips head screwdrivers
- Angling pliers
- Desktop computers
- EZ-Zone Optizone Enterprise
- Diversified Ophthalmics Practice Maximus
- Microsoft Office
- Point of sale POS software
- OfficeMate Software Solutions OfficeMate
- HealthLine Systems Eyecom
- Specialist Data Solutions OctoPlus
- First Insight MaximEyes
- Insight Software My Vision Express
- EMRlogic Systems ENTERPRISE Visions
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Compulink Eyecare Advantage
- Cygnet Infotech Optifocus