Will “Certified Optician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
71% Chance of Automation
“Certified Optician” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #391 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assist client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assist client with selecting frames. Measure customer for size of eyeglasses and coordinate frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepare work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames. Verify exactness of finished lens spectacles. Adjust frame and lens position to fit client. May shape or reshape frames. Includes contact lens opticians.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,860.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 75,270 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Opticians, Dispensing”.
Also Known As…
- Opticians, Dispensing
- Optometric Technician
- Optometric Assistant
- Optical Technician
- Ophthalmic Dispenser
- Licensed Optician
- Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)
- Dispensing Optician
- Contact Lens Technician
- Optician Apprentice
- Optical Manager
- Optical Dispenser
- Optical Assistant
- Licensed Optical Dispenser
- Eyeglass Fitter
- Dispensing Optician Apprentice
- Dispensing and Measuring Optician
- Contact Lens Fitter
- Certified Optician
Tasks for “Certified Optician”
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
- Show customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Instruct clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
- Prepare work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Maintain records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Repair damaged frames.
- Fabricate lenses to meet prescription specifications.
- Grind lens edges, or apply coatings to lenses.
- Measure clients' bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
- Assemble eyeglasses by cutting and edging lenses, and fitting the lenses into frames.
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise.
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Supervise the training of student opticians.
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Sell goods such as contact lenses, spectacles, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Determine clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
- Evaluate prescriptions in conjunction with clients' vocational and avocational visual requirements.
Related Technology & Tools
- Laptop computers
- Angling pliers
- Pickup screwdrivers
- Optical screwdrivers
- Lens analyzers
- Half-round files
- Flat nose pliers
- End piece pliers
- Snellen eye charts
- Lens clocks
- Cold-bend pliers
- Hex wrenches
- Contact lens thickness gauges
- Nose pad adjusting pliers
- Hollow snipe pliers
- Personal computers
- Straight screwdrivers
- Lens aligning pliers
- Millimeter rules
- Cash registers
- Desktop computers
- Chain nose pliers
- Contact lens tweezers
- Optometric lensometers
- Bushing pullers
- Frame warmers
- Screw-holding tweezers
- Dial calipers
- Bracing pliers
- Credit card processing machines
- Digital pupilometers
- Lens files
- Optical cutting pliers
- Phillips head screwdrivers
- Snipe nose pliers
- Digital calipers
- Specialist Data Solutions OctoPlus
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Office
- OfficeMate Software Solutions OfficeMate
- Insight Software My Vision Express
- EMRlogic Systems ENTERPRISE Visions
- Compulink Eyecare Advantage
- Microsoft Word
- Cygnet Infotech Optifocus
- EZ-Zone Optizone Enterprise
- HealthLine Systems Eyecom
- Diversified Ophthalmics Practice Maximus
- Point of sale POS software
- Intuit QuickBooks
- First Insight MaximEyes