Will “Certified Optician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
71% Chance of Automation
“Certified Optician” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #391 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assist client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assist client with selecting frames. Measure customer for size of eyeglasses and coordinate frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepare work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames. Verify exactness of finished lens spectacles. Adjust frame and lens position to fit client. May shape or reshape frames. Includes contact lens opticians.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,860.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 75,270 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Opticians, Dispensing”.
Also Known As…
- Opticians, Dispensing
- Optometric Technician
- Optometric Assistant
- Optical Technician
- Ophthalmic Dispenser
- Licensed Optician
- Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)
- Dispensing Optician
- Contact Lens Technician
- Optician Apprentice
- Optical Manager
- Optical Dispenser
- Optical Assistant
- Licensed Optical Dispenser
- Eyeglass Fitter
- Dispensing Optician Apprentice
- Dispensing and Measuring Optician
- Contact Lens Fitter
- Certified Optician
Tasks for “Certified Optician”
- Determine clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
- Show customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Instruct clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
- Evaluate prescriptions in conjunction with clients' vocational and avocational visual requirements.
- Sell goods such as contact lenses, spectacles, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
- Repair damaged frames.
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Fabricate lenses to meet prescription specifications.
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Supervise the training of student opticians.
- Grind lens edges, or apply coatings to lenses.
- Maintain records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Measure clients' bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise.
- Prepare work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Assemble eyeglasses by cutting and edging lenses, and fitting the lenses into frames.
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
Related Technology & Tools
- Contact lens tweezers
- Optometric lensometers
- Millimeter rules
- Optical cutting pliers
- Hollow snipe pliers
- Lens aligning pliers
- Snellen eye charts
- Digital pupilometers
- Desktop computers
- Nose pad adjusting pliers
- Flat nose pliers
- Bracing pliers
- Laptop computers
- Screw-holding tweezers
- Cash registers
- Cold-bend pliers
- Credit card processing machines
- Hex wrenches
- Digital calipers
- Personal computers
- Half-round files
- End piece pliers
- Bushing pullers
- Pickup screwdrivers
- Angling pliers
- Dial calipers
- Snipe nose pliers
- Phillips head screwdrivers
- Frame warmers
- Lens files
- Straight screwdrivers
- Lens clocks
- Lens analyzers
- Chain nose pliers
- Contact lens thickness gauges
- Optical screwdrivers
- Intuit QuickBooks
- EMRlogic Systems ENTERPRISE Visions
- Microsoft Office
- Specialist Data Solutions OctoPlus
- OfficeMate Software Solutions OfficeMate
- EZ-Zone Optizone Enterprise
- Cygnet Infotech Optifocus
- HealthLine Systems Eyecom
- Diversified Ophthalmics Practice Maximus
- Point of sale POS software
- Compulink Eyecare Advantage
- Microsoft Word
- Insight Software My Vision Express
- Microsoft Excel
- First Insight MaximEyes