Will “Dispensing Optician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
71% Chance of Automation
“Dispensing Optician” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #391 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assist client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assist client with selecting frames. Measure customer for size of eyeglasses and coordinate frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepare work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames. Verify exactness of finished lens spectacles. Adjust frame and lens position to fit client. May shape or reshape frames. Includes contact lens opticians.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,860.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 75,270 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Opticians, Dispensing”.
Also Known As…
- Opticians, Dispensing
- Optometric Technician
- Optometric Assistant
- Optical Technician
- Ophthalmic Dispenser
- Licensed Optician
- Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)
- Contact Lens Technician
- Certified Optician
- Optician Apprentice
- Optical Manager
- Optical Dispenser
- Optical Assistant
- Licensed Optical Dispenser
- Eyeglass Fitter
- Dispensing Optician Apprentice
- Dispensing Optician
- Dispensing and Measuring Optician
- Contact Lens Fitter
Tasks for “Dispensing Optician”
- Instruct clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Grind lens edges, or apply coatings to lenses.
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Determine clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
- Fabricate lenses to meet prescription specifications.
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Prepare work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Maintain records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Repair damaged frames.
- Show customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Sell goods such as contact lenses, spectacles, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise.
- Supervise the training of student opticians.
- Assemble eyeglasses by cutting and edging lenses, and fitting the lenses into frames.
- Evaluate prescriptions in conjunction with clients' vocational and avocational visual requirements.
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Measure clients' bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
Related Technology & Tools
- Optical cutting pliers
- Nose pad adjusting pliers
- Half-round files
- Hex wrenches
- Optical screwdrivers
- Cash registers
- Contact lens thickness gauges
- Phillips head screwdrivers
- Lens analyzers
- Flat nose pliers
- Snipe nose pliers
- Hollow snipe pliers
- Millimeter rules
- Angling pliers
- Snellen eye charts
- Bushing pullers
- Pickup screwdrivers
- Cold-bend pliers
- Chain nose pliers
- Digital calipers
- Lens files
- Optometric lensometers
- Frame warmers
- Straight screwdrivers
- Screw-holding tweezers
- Desktop computers
- Digital pupilometers
- Lens aligning pliers
- Credit card processing machines
- Laptop computers
- Personal computers
- End piece pliers
- Bracing pliers
- Dial calipers
- Contact lens tweezers
- Lens clocks
- OfficeMate Software Solutions OfficeMate
- Intuit QuickBooks
- EMRlogic Systems ENTERPRISE Visions
- First Insight MaximEyes
- Specialist Data Solutions OctoPlus
- HealthLine Systems Eyecom
- EZ-Zone Optizone Enterprise
- Compulink Eyecare Advantage
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Excel
- Diversified Ophthalmics Practice Maximus
- Cygnet Infotech Optifocus
- Point of sale POS software
- Insight Software My Vision Express
- Microsoft Word