Will “Dispensing Optician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
71% Chance of Automation
“Dispensing Optician” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #391 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assist client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assist client with selecting frames. Measure customer for size of eyeglasses and coordinate frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepare work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames. Verify exactness of finished lens spectacles. Adjust frame and lens position to fit client. May shape or reshape frames. Includes contact lens opticians.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,860.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 75,270 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Opticians, Dispensing”.
Also Known As…
- Opticians, Dispensing
- Optometric Technician
- Optometric Assistant
- Optical Technician
- Ophthalmic Dispenser
- Licensed Optician
- Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)
- Contact Lens Technician
- Certified Optician
- Optician Apprentice
- Optical Manager
- Optical Dispenser
- Optical Assistant
- Licensed Optical Dispenser
- Eyeglass Fitter
- Dispensing Optician Apprentice
- Dispensing Optician
- Dispensing and Measuring Optician
- Contact Lens Fitter
Tasks for “Dispensing Optician”
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise.
- Repair damaged frames.
- Measure clients' bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
- Fabricate lenses to meet prescription specifications.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Prepare work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Assemble eyeglasses by cutting and edging lenses, and fitting the lenses into frames.
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Grind lens edges, or apply coatings to lenses.
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Maintain records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Determine clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
- Supervise the training of student opticians.
- Instruct clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
- Show customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Sell goods such as contact lenses, spectacles, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Evaluate prescriptions in conjunction with clients' vocational and avocational visual requirements.
Related Technology & Tools
- Pickup screwdrivers
- Laptop computers
- Hollow snipe pliers
- Optical screwdrivers
- Angling pliers
- Cold-bend pliers
- Chain nose pliers
- Personal computers
- Contact lens tweezers
- Optical cutting pliers
- Credit card processing machines
- Digital calipers
- Phillips head screwdrivers
- Screw-holding tweezers
- Lens clocks
- Snipe nose pliers
- Bracing pliers
- Dial calipers
- Lens analyzers
- Cash registers
- End piece pliers
- Flat nose pliers
- Lens aligning pliers
- Optometric lensometers
- Contact lens thickness gauges
- Snellen eye charts
- Straight screwdrivers
- Half-round files
- Millimeter rules
- Bushing pullers
- Hex wrenches
- Desktop computers
- Nose pad adjusting pliers
- Lens files
- Frame warmers
- Digital pupilometers
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Point of sale POS software
- Microsoft Excel
- Diversified Ophthalmics Practice Maximus
- EZ-Zone Optizone Enterprise
- HealthLine Systems Eyecom
- Specialist Data Solutions OctoPlus
- Microsoft Word
- Cygnet Infotech Optifocus
- OfficeMate Software Solutions OfficeMate
- EMRlogic Systems ENTERPRISE Visions
- First Insight MaximEyes
- Compulink Eyecare Advantage
- Microsoft Office
- Insight Software My Vision Express