Will “Dispensing Optician Apprentice” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
71% Chance of Automation
“Dispensing Optician Apprentice” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #391 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assist client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assist client with selecting frames. Measure customer for size of eyeglasses and coordinate frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepare work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames. Verify exactness of finished lens spectacles. Adjust frame and lens position to fit client. May shape or reshape frames. Includes contact lens opticians.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,860.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 75,270 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Opticians, Dispensing”.
Also Known As…
- Opticians, Dispensing
- Optometric Technician
- Optometric Assistant
- Optical Technician
- Ophthalmic Dispenser
- Licensed Optician
- Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)
- Dispensing Optician
- Contact Lens Technician
- Certified Optician
- Optician Apprentice
- Optical Manager
- Optical Dispenser
- Optical Assistant
- Licensed Optical Dispenser
- Eyeglass Fitter
- Dispensing and Measuring Optician
- Contact Lens Fitter
Tasks for “Dispensing Optician Apprentice”
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Maintain records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Determine clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
- Assemble eyeglasses by cutting and edging lenses, and fitting the lenses into frames.
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise.
- Fabricate lenses to meet prescription specifications.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Sell goods such as contact lenses, spectacles, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
- Repair damaged frames.
- Evaluate prescriptions in conjunction with clients' vocational and avocational visual requirements.
- Show customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Measure clients' bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
- Grind lens edges, or apply coatings to lenses.
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Supervise the training of student opticians.
- Instruct clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Prepare work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
Related Technology & Tools
- Lens files
- Contact lens thickness gauges
- Lens clocks
- Angling pliers
- Desktop computers
- End piece pliers
- Frame warmers
- Personal computers
- Cash registers
- Nose pad adjusting pliers
- Half-round files
- Snellen eye charts
- Credit card processing machines
- Millimeter rules
- Pickup screwdrivers
- Dial calipers
- Snipe nose pliers
- Screw-holding tweezers
- Optical screwdrivers
- Digital calipers
- Contact lens tweezers
- Bushing pullers
- Optometric lensometers
- Optical cutting pliers
- Hex wrenches
- Flat nose pliers
- Hollow snipe pliers
- Cold-bend pliers
- Bracing pliers
- Lens analyzers
- Phillips head screwdrivers
- Laptop computers
- Lens aligning pliers
- Straight screwdrivers
- Chain nose pliers
- Digital pupilometers
- OfficeMate Software Solutions OfficeMate
- Microsoft Word
- Cygnet Infotech Optifocus
- EMRlogic Systems ENTERPRISE Visions
- Microsoft Excel
- Compulink Eyecare Advantage
- Intuit QuickBooks
- HealthLine Systems Eyecom
- Point of sale POS software
- EZ-Zone Optizone Enterprise
- Specialist Data Solutions OctoPlus
- Insight Software My Vision Express
- First Insight MaximEyes
- Microsoft Office
- Diversified Ophthalmics Practice Maximus