Will “Dispensing Optician Apprentice” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
71% Chance of Automation
“Dispensing Optician Apprentice” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #391 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assist client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assist client with selecting frames. Measure customer for size of eyeglasses and coordinate frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepare work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames. Verify exactness of finished lens spectacles. Adjust frame and lens position to fit client. May shape or reshape frames. Includes contact lens opticians.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,860.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 75,270 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Opticians, Dispensing”.
Also Known As…
- Opticians, Dispensing
- Optometric Technician
- Optometric Assistant
- Optical Technician
- Ophthalmic Dispenser
- Licensed Optician
- Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)
- Dispensing Optician
- Contact Lens Technician
- Certified Optician
- Optician Apprentice
- Optical Manager
- Optical Dispenser
- Optical Assistant
- Licensed Optical Dispenser
- Eyeglass Fitter
- Dispensing and Measuring Optician
- Contact Lens Fitter
Tasks for “Dispensing Optician Apprentice”
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Determine clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
- Repair damaged frames.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Prepare work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Fabricate lenses to meet prescription specifications.
- Measure clients' bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
- Grind lens edges, or apply coatings to lenses.
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise.
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Evaluate prescriptions in conjunction with clients' vocational and avocational visual requirements.
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Assemble eyeglasses by cutting and edging lenses, and fitting the lenses into frames.
- Show customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Instruct clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
- Maintain records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
- Supervise the training of student opticians.
- Sell goods such as contact lenses, spectacles, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
Related Technology & Tools
- Lens analyzers
- Half-round files
- Bracing pliers
- Laptop computers
- Hex wrenches
- Desktop computers
- Snipe nose pliers
- Hollow snipe pliers
- Pickup screwdrivers
- Phillips head screwdrivers
- Flat nose pliers
- Contact lens tweezers
- Digital calipers
- End piece pliers
- Digital pupilometers
- Credit card processing machines
- Angling pliers
- Chain nose pliers
- Lens files
- Straight screwdrivers
- Frame warmers
- Optical cutting pliers
- Personal computers
- Lens clocks
- Optometric lensometers
- Nose pad adjusting pliers
- Screw-holding tweezers
- Bushing pullers
- Dial calipers
- Cash registers
- Millimeter rules
- Contact lens thickness gauges
- Optical screwdrivers
- Cold-bend pliers
- Snellen eye charts
- Lens aligning pliers
- OfficeMate Software Solutions OfficeMate
- EMRlogic Systems ENTERPRISE Visions
- First Insight MaximEyes
- EZ-Zone Optizone Enterprise
- Diversified Ophthalmics Practice Maximus
- Insight Software My Vision Express
- Specialist Data Solutions OctoPlus
- Compulink Eyecare Advantage
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Cygnet Infotech Optifocus
- Microsoft Excel
- Point of sale POS software
- HealthLine Systems Eyecom
- Intuit QuickBooks