Will “Eyeglass Fitter” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
71% Chance of Automation
“Eyeglass Fitter” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #391 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assist client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assist client with selecting frames. Measure customer for size of eyeglasses and coordinate frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepare work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames. Verify exactness of finished lens spectacles. Adjust frame and lens position to fit client. May shape or reshape frames. Includes contact lens opticians.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,860.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 75,270 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Opticians, Dispensing”.
Also Known As…
- Opticians, Dispensing
- Optometric Technician
- Optometric Assistant
- Optical Technician
- Ophthalmic Dispenser
- Licensed Optician
- Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)
- Dispensing Optician
- Contact Lens Technician
- Certified Optician
- Optician Apprentice
- Optical Manager
- Optical Dispenser
- Optical Assistant
- Licensed Optical Dispenser
- Dispensing Optician Apprentice
- Dispensing and Measuring Optician
- Contact Lens Fitter
Tasks for “Eyeglass Fitter”
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise.
- Prepare work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Show customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Sell goods such as contact lenses, spectacles, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
- Fabricate lenses to meet prescription specifications.
- Measure clients' bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Assemble eyeglasses by cutting and edging lenses, and fitting the lenses into frames.
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Grind lens edges, or apply coatings to lenses.
- Instruct clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
- Maintain records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Repair damaged frames.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
- Determine clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
- Supervise the training of student opticians.
- Evaluate prescriptions in conjunction with clients' vocational and avocational visual requirements.
Related Technology & Tools
- Snellen eye charts
- Millimeter rules
- Cash registers
- Optical screwdrivers
- Lens clocks
- Laptop computers
- Snipe nose pliers
- Credit card processing machines
- Personal computers
- Flat nose pliers
- Digital pupilometers
- Chain nose pliers
- Hollow snipe pliers
- Optometric lensometers
- Contact lens thickness gauges
- Angling pliers
- Contact lens tweezers
- Half-round files
- Digital calipers
- Phillips head screwdrivers
- Straight screwdrivers
- Pickup screwdrivers
- Cold-bend pliers
- Bushing pullers
- Nose pad adjusting pliers
- Hex wrenches
- Optical cutting pliers
- End piece pliers
- Bracing pliers
- Desktop computers
- Dial calipers
- Lens analyzers
- Lens aligning pliers
- Screw-holding tweezers
- Frame warmers
- Lens files
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Excel
- Point of sale POS software
- Cygnet Infotech Optifocus
- EZ-Zone Optizone Enterprise
- Specialist Data Solutions OctoPlus
- EMRlogic Systems ENTERPRISE Visions
- Diversified Ophthalmics Practice Maximus
- OfficeMate Software Solutions OfficeMate
- Compulink Eyecare Advantage
- Insight Software My Vision Express
- HealthLine Systems Eyecom
- Intuit QuickBooks
- First Insight MaximEyes
- Microsoft Word