Will “Clerical Proofreader” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
84% Chance of Automation
“Clerical Proofreader” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #481 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Read transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors. Includes proofreaders of Braille.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 43-9081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 39,640.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 19.00
- Currently, there are 11,430 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Proofreaders and Copy Markers”.
Also Known As…
- Proofreaders and Copy Markers
- News Copy Editor
- Editorial Assistant
- Desk Editor
- Copy Editor
- Copy Chief
- Content Editor
- Production Proofreader
- Online Content Coordinator
- Format Proofreader
- Digital Content Coordinator
- Data Reviewer
- Data Examination Clerk
- Copy Reader
- Copy Preparer
- Copy Holder
- Copy Coordinator
- Content Coordinator
- Braille Proofreader
- Assistant Editor
Tasks for “Clerical Proofreader”
- Route proofs with marked corrections to authors, editors, typists, or typesetters for correction or reprinting.
- Mark copy to indicate and correct errors in type, arrangement, grammar, punctuation, or spelling, using standard printers' marks.
- Correct or record omissions, errors, or inconsistencies found.
- Compare information or figures on one record against same data on other records, or with original copy, to detect errors.
- Typeset and measure dimensions, spacing, and positioning of page elements, such as copy and illustrations, to verify conformance to specifications, using printer's ruler or layout software.
- Read corrected copies or proofs to ensure that all corrections have been made.
- Consult reference books or secure aid of readers to check references with rules of grammar and composition.
- Read proof sheets aloud, calling out punctuation marks and spelling unusual words and proper names.
- Archive documents, conduct research, and read copy, using the internet and various computer programs.
- Consult with authors and editors regarding manuscript changes and suggestions.
- Write original content such as headlines, cutlines, captions, and cover copy.
Related Technology & Tools
- Tablet computers
- Copy machines
- Videoconferencing equipment
- Laptop computers
- Printers' rulers
- Personal computers
- Inkjet facsimile machines
- Computer data input scanners
- Laser facsimile machines
- Universal serial bus USB flash drives
- Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver
- Microsoft Visio
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Pro Writing Aid
- Adobe Systems Adobe FrameMaker
- Microsoft Outlook
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Apple Final Cut Pro X
- Style guide databases
- Grammarly Editor
- Avid Technology Media Composer
- Serenity Software Editor
- Adobe Systems Adobe Captivate
- Intelligent Editing PerfectIt
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- FileMaker Pro
- HP Autonomy TeamSite
- Adobe Systems Adobe InCopy
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Excel
- After the Deadline
- File transfer protocol FTP client software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Elite Minds RightWriter
- Quark Xpress
- Apple iWork Keynote
- AutoCrit Editing Wizard
- Adobe Systems Adobe After Effects
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- Microsoft Access