Will “Clerical Proofreader” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
84% Chance of Automation
“Clerical Proofreader” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #481 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Read transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors. Includes proofreaders of Braille.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 43-9081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 39,640.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 19.00
- Currently, there are 11,430 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Proofreaders and Copy Markers”.
Also Known As…
- Proofreaders and Copy Markers
- News Copy Editor
- Editorial Assistant
- Desk Editor
- Copy Editor
- Copy Chief
- Content Editor
- Production Proofreader
- Online Content Coordinator
- Format Proofreader
- Digital Content Coordinator
- Data Reviewer
- Data Examination Clerk
- Copy Reader
- Copy Preparer
- Copy Holder
- Copy Coordinator
- Content Coordinator
- Braille Proofreader
- Assistant Editor
Tasks for “Clerical Proofreader”
- Consult reference books or secure aid of readers to check references with rules of grammar and composition.
- Consult with authors and editors regarding manuscript changes and suggestions.
- Route proofs with marked corrections to authors, editors, typists, or typesetters for correction or reprinting.
- Read proof sheets aloud, calling out punctuation marks and spelling unusual words and proper names.
- Mark copy to indicate and correct errors in type, arrangement, grammar, punctuation, or spelling, using standard printers' marks.
- Compare information or figures on one record against same data on other records, or with original copy, to detect errors.
- Read corrected copies or proofs to ensure that all corrections have been made.
- Archive documents, conduct research, and read copy, using the internet and various computer programs.
- Typeset and measure dimensions, spacing, and positioning of page elements, such as copy and illustrations, to verify conformance to specifications, using printer's ruler or layout software.
- Correct or record omissions, errors, or inconsistencies found.
- Write original content such as headlines, cutlines, captions, and cover copy.
Related Technology & Tools
- Laptop computers
- Copy machines
- Computer data input scanners
- Laser facsimile machines
- Videoconferencing equipment
- Inkjet facsimile machines
- Universal serial bus USB flash drives
- Printers' rulers
- Personal computers
- Tablet computers
- Adobe Systems Adobe After Effects
- AutoCrit Editing Wizard
- Microsoft Word
- Elite Minds RightWriter
- Serenity Software Editor
- Microsoft Office
- After the Deadline
- Quark Xpress
- Avid Technology Media Composer
- Pro Writing Aid
- Adobe Systems Adobe Captivate
- Adobe Systems Adobe InCopy
- Microsoft Outlook
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Microsoft Excel
- FileMaker Pro
- Intelligent Editing PerfectIt
- Apple iWork Keynote
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- Style guide databases
- File transfer protocol FTP client software
- Microsoft Visio
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver
- Grammarly Editor
- HP Autonomy TeamSite
- Apple Final Cut Pro X
- Adobe Systems Adobe FrameMaker