Will “Desk Editor” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
84% Chance of Automation
“Desk Editor” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #481 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Read transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors. Includes proofreaders of Braille.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 43-9081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 39,640.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 19.00
- Currently, there are 11,430 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Proofreaders and Copy Markers”.
Also Known As…
- Proofreaders and Copy Markers
- News Copy Editor
- Editorial Assistant
- Copy Editor
- Copy Chief
- Content Editor
- Production Proofreader
- Online Content Coordinator
- Format Proofreader
- Digital Content Coordinator
- Desk Editor
- Data Reviewer
- Data Examination Clerk
- Copy Reader
- Copy Preparer
- Copy Holder
- Copy Coordinator
- Content Coordinator
- Clerical Proofreader
- Braille Proofreader
- Assistant Editor
Tasks for “Desk Editor”
- Consult reference books or secure aid of readers to check references with rules of grammar and composition.
- Correct or record omissions, errors, or inconsistencies found.
- Read proof sheets aloud, calling out punctuation marks and spelling unusual words and proper names.
- Consult with authors and editors regarding manuscript changes and suggestions.
- Read corrected copies or proofs to ensure that all corrections have been made.
- Archive documents, conduct research, and read copy, using the internet and various computer programs.
- Write original content such as headlines, cutlines, captions, and cover copy.
- Route proofs with marked corrections to authors, editors, typists, or typesetters for correction or reprinting.
- Compare information or figures on one record against same data on other records, or with original copy, to detect errors.
- Typeset and measure dimensions, spacing, and positioning of page elements, such as copy and illustrations, to verify conformance to specifications, using printer's ruler or layout software.
- Mark copy to indicate and correct errors in type, arrangement, grammar, punctuation, or spelling, using standard printers' marks.
Related Technology & Tools
- Copy machines
- Computer data input scanners
- Universal serial bus USB flash drives
- Inkjet facsimile machines
- Laptop computers
- Personal computers
- Laser facsimile machines
- Printers' rulers
- Videoconferencing equipment
- Tablet computers
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Microsoft Excel
- FileMaker Pro
- Apple iWork Keynote
- File transfer protocol FTP client software
- HP Autonomy TeamSite
- Adobe Systems Adobe InCopy
- Adobe Systems Adobe Captivate
- Grammarly Editor
- Microsoft Visio
- Pro Writing Aid
- Adobe Systems Adobe After Effects
- Apple Final Cut Pro X
- Microsoft Office
- After the Deadline
- Style guide databases
- Microsoft Word
- Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver
- Adobe Systems Adobe FrameMaker
- Microsoft Access
- Avid Technology Media Composer
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Elite Minds RightWriter
- Serenity Software Editor
- Intelligent Editing PerfectIt
- Microsoft Outlook
- Quark Xpress
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- AutoCrit Editing Wizard