Will “Desk Editor” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
84% Chance of Automation
“Desk Editor” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #481 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Read transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors. Includes proofreaders of Braille.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 43-9081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 39,640.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 19.00
- Currently, there are 11,430 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Proofreaders and Copy Markers”.
Also Known As…
- Proofreaders and Copy Markers
- News Copy Editor
- Editorial Assistant
- Copy Editor
- Copy Chief
- Content Editor
- Production Proofreader
- Online Content Coordinator
- Format Proofreader
- Digital Content Coordinator
- Desk Editor
- Data Reviewer
- Data Examination Clerk
- Copy Reader
- Copy Preparer
- Copy Holder
- Copy Coordinator
- Content Coordinator
- Clerical Proofreader
- Braille Proofreader
- Assistant Editor
Tasks for “Desk Editor”
- Write original content such as headlines, cutlines, captions, and cover copy.
- Compare information or figures on one record against same data on other records, or with original copy, to detect errors.
- Archive documents, conduct research, and read copy, using the internet and various computer programs.
- Typeset and measure dimensions, spacing, and positioning of page elements, such as copy and illustrations, to verify conformance to specifications, using printer's ruler or layout software.
- Route proofs with marked corrections to authors, editors, typists, or typesetters for correction or reprinting.
- Read corrected copies or proofs to ensure that all corrections have been made.
- Mark copy to indicate and correct errors in type, arrangement, grammar, punctuation, or spelling, using standard printers' marks.
- Read proof sheets aloud, calling out punctuation marks and spelling unusual words and proper names.
- Consult with authors and editors regarding manuscript changes and suggestions.
- Correct or record omissions, errors, or inconsistencies found.
- Consult reference books or secure aid of readers to check references with rules of grammar and composition.
Related Technology & Tools
- Laptop computers
- Videoconferencing equipment
- Computer data input scanners
- Inkjet facsimile machines
- Personal computers
- Laser facsimile machines
- Universal serial bus USB flash drives
- Printers' rulers
- Copy machines
- Tablet computers
- Adobe Systems Adobe FrameMaker
- Apple iWork Keynote
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Systems Adobe InCopy
- Avid Technology Media Composer
- Intelligent Editing PerfectIt
- Pro Writing Aid
- FileMaker Pro
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- HP Autonomy TeamSite
- Microsoft Outlook
- Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver
- Apple Final Cut Pro X
- Microsoft Word
- Adobe Systems Adobe After Effects
- Microsoft Access
- Quark Xpress
- Grammarly Editor
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- File transfer protocol FTP client software
- After the Deadline
- Microsoft Visio
- Microsoft Office
- Style guide databases
- Elite Minds RightWriter
- Adobe Systems Adobe Captivate
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- AutoCrit Editing Wizard
- Serenity Software Editor