Will “Sensor Specialist” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Apply remote sensing principles and methods to analyze data and solve problems in areas such as natural resource management, urban planning, or homeland security. May develop new sensor systems, analytical techniques, or new applications for existing systems.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 19-2099.01
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Remote Sensing Scientists and Technologists”.
Also Known As…
- Remote Sensing Scientists and Technologists
- Research Scientist
- Research and Development Director (R&D Director)
- Remote Sensing Scientist
- Remote Sensing Program Manager
- Remote Sensing Analyst
- Geospatial Intelligence Analyst
- Data Analytics Chief Scientist
- Weather Algorithm Scientist
- Thermal Intelligence Analyst
- Spectral Scientist
- Signal Intelligence Analyst
- Sensor Specialist
- Remote Sensing Technologist
- Remote Sensing Specialist
- Remote Sensing Research Scientist
- Remote Sensing Engineer
- Remote Sensing Certified Mapping Scientist
- Radar Scientist
- Microwave Remote Sensing Scientist
- Measurement and Signatures Intelligence Analyst
- LIDAR Scientist (Light Detection and Ranging Scientist)
- LIDAR Analyst (Light Detection and Ranging Analyst)
- Image Scientist
- Geospatial Image Analyst
- All Source Intelligence Analyst
Tasks for “Sensor Specialist”
- Apply remote sensing data or techniques, such as surface water modeling or dust cloud detection, to address environmental issues.
- Attend meetings or seminars or read current literature to maintain knowledge of developments in the field of remote sensing.
- Integrate other geospatial data sources into projects.
- Use remote sensing data for forest or carbon tracking activities to assess the impact of environmental change.
- Manage or analyze data obtained from remote sensing systems to obtain meaningful results.
- Discuss project goals, equipment requirements, or methodologies with colleagues or team members.
- Develop new analytical techniques or sensor systems.
- Process aerial or satellite imagery to create products such as land cover maps.
- Participate in fieldwork.
- Set up or maintain remote sensing data collection systems.
- Prepare or deliver reports or presentations of geospatial project information.
- Analyze data acquired from aircraft, satellites, or ground-based platforms, using statistical analysis software, image analysis software, or Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Conduct research into the application or enhancement of remote sensing technology.
- Monitor quality of remote sensing data collection operations to determine if procedural or equipment changes are necessary.
- Recommend new remote sensing hardware or software acquisitions.
- Direct all activity associated with implementation, operation, or enhancement of remote sensing hardware or software.
- Design or implement strategies for collection, analysis, or display of geographic data.
- Collect supporting data, such as climatic or field survey data, to corroborate remote sensing data analyses.
- Direct installation or testing of new remote sensing hardware or software.
- Compile and format image data to increase its usefulness.
- Train technicians in the use of remote sensing technology.
- Develop or build databases for remote sensing or related geospatial project information.
- Organize and maintain geospatial data and associated documentation.
- Develop automated routines to correct for the presence of image distorting artifacts, such as ground vegetation.
Related Technology & Tools
- Mainframe computers
- Personal computers
- Synthetic aperture radar SAR
- Thermal imaging systems
- Airborne imaging systems
- Spaceborne imaging systems
- Spectral imaging systems
- Doppler Rayleigh laser imaging ranging and detecting LIDAR systems
- Multispectral imaging equipment
- Desktop computers
- Hyperspectral imaging equipment
- Microsoft Word
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Microsoft Excel
- Leica Geosystems ERDAS IMAGINE
- BAE Systems SOCET GXP
- Microsoft Office
- Gamma remote sensing software
- RSI ENVI
- PCI Geomatics Geomatica
- Image processing software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Web browser software
- Structured query language SQL
- Oracle Java
- Interface definition language IDL
- Practical extraction and reporting language Perl