Will “Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
83% Chance of Automation
“Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #468 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or drains. May patch walls and partitions of tank, replace damaged drain tile, or repair breaks in underground piping.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 47-4071.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 38,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 26,320 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners”.
Also Known As…
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Utility Worker
- Sewer and Drain Technician
- Sewer and Drain Cleaner
- Service Technician
- Septic Pump Truck Driver
- Septic Cleaner
- Public Works Technician
- Maintenance Worker
- Drain Cleaner
- Transport Tank Technician
- Sewer Pipe Cleaner
- Sewer Line Repairer
- Sewer Cleaner
- Sewage Screen Operator
- Septic Technician
- Septic Tank Cleaner
- Roto Rooter Operator
- Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator
- Pipe Cleaning and Priming Machine Operator
- High Reach Operator
- Drain Technician
Tasks for “Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator”
- Clean and disinfect domestic basements and other areas flooded by sewer stoppages.
- Drive trucks to transport crews, materials, and equipment.
- Ensure that repaired sewer line joints are tightly sealed before backfilling begins.
- Communicate with supervisors and other workers, using equipment such as wireless phones, pagers, or radio telephones.
- Operate sewer cleaning equipment, including power rodders, high-velocity water jets, sewer flushers, bucket machines, wayne balls, and vac-alls.
- Tap mainline sewers to install sewer saddles.
- Withdraw cables from pipes and examine them for evidence of mud, roots, grease, and other deposits indicating broken or clogged sewer lines.
- Rotate cleaning rods manually, using turning pins.
- Service, adjust, and make minor repairs to equipment, machines, and attachments.
- Locate problems, using specially designed equipment, and mark where digging must occur to reach damaged tanks or pipes.
- Break asphalt and other pavement so that pipes can be accessed, using airhammers, picks, and shovels.
- Update sewer maps and manhole charts.
- Requisition or order tools and equipment.
- Prepare and keep records of actions taken, including maintenance and repair work.
- Install rotary knives on flexible cables mounted on machine reels, according to the diameters of pipes to be cleaned.
- Cover repaired pipes with dirt, and pack backfilled excavations, using air and gasoline tampers.
- Cut damaged sections of pipe with cutters, remove broken sections from ditches, and replace pipe sections, using pipe sleeves.
- Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or related structures such as manholes, culverts, and catch basins.
- Start machines to feed revolving cables or rods into openings, stopping machines and changing knives to conform to pipe sizes.
- Measure excavation sites, using plumbers' snakes, tapelines, or lengths of cutting heads within sewers, and mark areas for digging.
- Inspect manholes to locate sewer line stoppages.
- Dig out sewer lines manually, using shovels.
Related Technology & Tools
- Portable sewer cleaning machines
- Personal computers
- Dirt shovels
- Liquid pumps
- Pipe cutters
- End pipe wrenches
- Sewer surveillance cameras
- Caulk dispensing tools
- Air hammers
- Prying bars
- Sewer cleaning rods
- Global positioning system GPS receivers
- Sewer cleaners
- Power rodders
- Septic pumping trucks
- Portable concrete mixers
- Power screeds
- Portable drills
- Measuring tapes
- Mobile tracked excavators
- Claw hammers
- Power trowels
- Mobile radios
- Material pumping hoses
- Bucket machines
- High velocity water jetters
- Air tampers
- Route mapping software
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Data entry software
- Web browser software
- Word processing software
- Work scheduling software