Will “Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
83% Chance of Automation
“Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #468 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or drains. May patch walls and partitions of tank, replace damaged drain tile, or repair breaks in underground piping.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 47-4071.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 38,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 26,320 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners”.
Also Known As…
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Utility Worker
- Sewer and Drain Technician
- Sewer and Drain Cleaner
- Service Technician
- Septic Pump Truck Driver
- Septic Cleaner
- Public Works Technician
- Maintenance Worker
- Drain Cleaner
- Transport Tank Technician
- Sewer Pipe Cleaner
- Sewer Line Repairer
- Sewer Cleaner
- Sewage Screen Operator
- Septic Technician
- Septic Tank Cleaner
- Roto Rooter Operator
- Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator
- Pipe Cleaning and Priming Machine Operator
- High Reach Operator
- Drain Technician
Tasks for “Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator”
- Update sewer maps and manhole charts.
- Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or related structures such as manholes, culverts, and catch basins.
- Clean and disinfect domestic basements and other areas flooded by sewer stoppages.
- Dig out sewer lines manually, using shovels.
- Communicate with supervisors and other workers, using equipment such as wireless phones, pagers, or radio telephones.
- Inspect manholes to locate sewer line stoppages.
- Requisition or order tools and equipment.
- Rotate cleaning rods manually, using turning pins.
- Break asphalt and other pavement so that pipes can be accessed, using airhammers, picks, and shovels.
- Ensure that repaired sewer line joints are tightly sealed before backfilling begins.
- Service, adjust, and make minor repairs to equipment, machines, and attachments.
- Drive trucks to transport crews, materials, and equipment.
- Cut damaged sections of pipe with cutters, remove broken sections from ditches, and replace pipe sections, using pipe sleeves.
- Start machines to feed revolving cables or rods into openings, stopping machines and changing knives to conform to pipe sizes.
- Operate sewer cleaning equipment, including power rodders, high-velocity water jets, sewer flushers, bucket machines, wayne balls, and vac-alls.
- Tap mainline sewers to install sewer saddles.
- Prepare and keep records of actions taken, including maintenance and repair work.
- Measure excavation sites, using plumbers' snakes, tapelines, or lengths of cutting heads within sewers, and mark areas for digging.
- Install rotary knives on flexible cables mounted on machine reels, according to the diameters of pipes to be cleaned.
- Withdraw cables from pipes and examine them for evidence of mud, roots, grease, and other deposits indicating broken or clogged sewer lines.
- Cover repaired pipes with dirt, and pack backfilled excavations, using air and gasoline tampers.
- Locate problems, using specially designed equipment, and mark where digging must occur to reach damaged tanks or pipes.
Related Technology & Tools
- Sewer cleaners
- Sewer cleaning rods
- High velocity water jetters
- Pipe cutters
- Mobile radios
- Power rodders
- Personal computers
- Power screeds
- Dirt shovels
- Mobile tracked excavators
- Prying bars
- Material pumping hoses
- Septic pumping trucks
- Portable concrete mixers
- Measuring tapes
- Liquid pumps
- Caulk dispensing tools
- Air tampers
- Power trowels
- Claw hammers
- Portable sewer cleaning machines
- Sewer surveillance cameras
- Portable drills
- Global positioning system GPS receivers
- End pipe wrenches
- Air hammers
- Bucket machines
- Work scheduling software
- Word processing software
- Web browser software
- Data entry software
- Route mapping software
- Intuit QuickBooks