Will “High Reach Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
83% Chance of Automation
“High Reach Operator” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #468 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or drains. May patch walls and partitions of tank, replace damaged drain tile, or repair breaks in underground piping.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 47-4071.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 38,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 26,320 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners”.
Also Known As…
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Utility Worker
- Sewer and Drain Technician
- Sewer and Drain Cleaner
- Service Technician
- Septic Pump Truck Driver
- Septic Cleaner
- Public Works Technician
- Maintenance Worker
- Drain Cleaner
- Transport Tank Technician
- Sewer Pipe Cleaner
- Sewer Line Repairer
- Sewer Cleaner
- Sewage Screen Operator
- Septic Technician
- Septic Tank Cleaner
- Roto Rooter Operator
- Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator
- Pipe Cleaning and Priming Machine Operator
- Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator
- Drain Technician
Tasks for “High Reach Operator”
- Drive trucks to transport crews, materials, and equipment.
- Prepare and keep records of actions taken, including maintenance and repair work.
- Requisition or order tools and equipment.
- Install rotary knives on flexible cables mounted on machine reels, according to the diameters of pipes to be cleaned.
- Service, adjust, and make minor repairs to equipment, machines, and attachments.
- Update sewer maps and manhole charts.
- Break asphalt and other pavement so that pipes can be accessed, using airhammers, picks, and shovels.
- Communicate with supervisors and other workers, using equipment such as wireless phones, pagers, or radio telephones.
- Rotate cleaning rods manually, using turning pins.
- Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or related structures such as manholes, culverts, and catch basins.
- Ensure that repaired sewer line joints are tightly sealed before backfilling begins.
- Tap mainline sewers to install sewer saddles.
- Cover repaired pipes with dirt, and pack backfilled excavations, using air and gasoline tampers.
- Dig out sewer lines manually, using shovels.
- Withdraw cables from pipes and examine them for evidence of mud, roots, grease, and other deposits indicating broken or clogged sewer lines.
- Cut damaged sections of pipe with cutters, remove broken sections from ditches, and replace pipe sections, using pipe sleeves.
- Operate sewer cleaning equipment, including power rodders, high-velocity water jets, sewer flushers, bucket machines, wayne balls, and vac-alls.
- Locate problems, using specially designed equipment, and mark where digging must occur to reach damaged tanks or pipes.
- Inspect manholes to locate sewer line stoppages.
- Start machines to feed revolving cables or rods into openings, stopping machines and changing knives to conform to pipe sizes.
- Clean and disinfect domestic basements and other areas flooded by sewer stoppages.
- Measure excavation sites, using plumbers' snakes, tapelines, or lengths of cutting heads within sewers, and mark areas for digging.
Related Technology & Tools
- Bucket machines
- Air tampers
- Power screeds
- Pipe cutters
- Claw hammers
- Power trowels
- Liquid pumps
- High velocity water jetters
- Dirt shovels
- Measuring tapes
- Septic pumping trucks
- Sewer surveillance cameras
- Portable sewer cleaning machines
- Material pumping hoses
- Prying bars
- Air hammers
- Portable drills
- Mobile tracked excavators
- Mobile radios
- End pipe wrenches
- Portable concrete mixers
- Power rodders
- Personal computers
- Sewer cleaners
- Caulk dispensing tools
- Sewer cleaning rods
- Global positioning system GPS receivers
- Work scheduling software
- Data entry software
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Web browser software
- Word processing software
- Route mapping software