Will “High Reach Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
83% Chance of Automation
“High Reach Operator” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #468 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or drains. May patch walls and partitions of tank, replace damaged drain tile, or repair breaks in underground piping.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 47-4071.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 38,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 26,320 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners”.
Also Known As…
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Utility Worker
- Sewer and Drain Technician
- Sewer and Drain Cleaner
- Service Technician
- Septic Pump Truck Driver
- Septic Cleaner
- Public Works Technician
- Maintenance Worker
- Drain Cleaner
- Transport Tank Technician
- Sewer Pipe Cleaner
- Sewer Line Repairer
- Sewer Cleaner
- Sewage Screen Operator
- Septic Technician
- Septic Tank Cleaner
- Roto Rooter Operator
- Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator
- Pipe Cleaning and Priming Machine Operator
- Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator
- Drain Technician
Tasks for “High Reach Operator”
- Dig out sewer lines manually, using shovels.
- Service, adjust, and make minor repairs to equipment, machines, and attachments.
- Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or related structures such as manholes, culverts, and catch basins.
- Drive trucks to transport crews, materials, and equipment.
- Operate sewer cleaning equipment, including power rodders, high-velocity water jets, sewer flushers, bucket machines, wayne balls, and vac-alls.
- Break asphalt and other pavement so that pipes can be accessed, using airhammers, picks, and shovels.
- Measure excavation sites, using plumbers' snakes, tapelines, or lengths of cutting heads within sewers, and mark areas for digging.
- Requisition or order tools and equipment.
- Inspect manholes to locate sewer line stoppages.
- Ensure that repaired sewer line joints are tightly sealed before backfilling begins.
- Update sewer maps and manhole charts.
- Communicate with supervisors and other workers, using equipment such as wireless phones, pagers, or radio telephones.
- Locate problems, using specially designed equipment, and mark where digging must occur to reach damaged tanks or pipes.
- Tap mainline sewers to install sewer saddles.
- Prepare and keep records of actions taken, including maintenance and repair work.
- Cut damaged sections of pipe with cutters, remove broken sections from ditches, and replace pipe sections, using pipe sleeves.
- Rotate cleaning rods manually, using turning pins.
- Clean and disinfect domestic basements and other areas flooded by sewer stoppages.
- Start machines to feed revolving cables or rods into openings, stopping machines and changing knives to conform to pipe sizes.
- Cover repaired pipes with dirt, and pack backfilled excavations, using air and gasoline tampers.
- Install rotary knives on flexible cables mounted on machine reels, according to the diameters of pipes to be cleaned.
- Withdraw cables from pipes and examine them for evidence of mud, roots, grease, and other deposits indicating broken or clogged sewer lines.
Related Technology & Tools
- Air hammers
- Power rodders
- Material pumping hoses
- End pipe wrenches
- Mobile radios
- Power screeds
- Measuring tapes
- Dirt shovels
- Sewer cleaning rods
- Portable concrete mixers
- Sewer cleaners
- Caulk dispensing tools
- Bucket machines
- Liquid pumps
- Portable sewer cleaning machines
- Pipe cutters
- High velocity water jetters
- Septic pumping trucks
- Claw hammers
- Global positioning system GPS receivers
- Mobile tracked excavators
- Sewer surveillance cameras
- Personal computers
- Portable drills
- Air tampers
- Power trowels
- Prying bars
- Web browser software
- Word processing software
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Data entry software
- Route mapping software
- Work scheduling software