Will “Sewer Cleaner” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
83% Chance of Automation
“Sewer Cleaner” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #468 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or drains. May patch walls and partitions of tank, replace damaged drain tile, or repair breaks in underground piping.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 47-4071.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 38,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 26,320 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners”.
Also Known As…
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Utility Worker
- Sewer and Drain Technician
- Sewer and Drain Cleaner
- Service Technician
- Septic Pump Truck Driver
- Septic Cleaner
- Public Works Technician
- Maintenance Worker
- Drain Cleaner
- Transport Tank Technician
- Sewer Pipe Cleaner
- Sewer Line Repairer
- Sewage Screen Operator
- Septic Technician
- Septic Tank Cleaner
- Roto Rooter Operator
- Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator
- Pipe Cleaning and Priming Machine Operator
- High Reach Operator
- Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator
- Drain Technician
Tasks for “Sewer Cleaner”
- Update sewer maps and manhole charts.
- Cover repaired pipes with dirt, and pack backfilled excavations, using air and gasoline tampers.
- Dig out sewer lines manually, using shovels.
- Clean and disinfect domestic basements and other areas flooded by sewer stoppages.
- Drive trucks to transport crews, materials, and equipment.
- Communicate with supervisors and other workers, using equipment such as wireless phones, pagers, or radio telephones.
- Cut damaged sections of pipe with cutters, remove broken sections from ditches, and replace pipe sections, using pipe sleeves.
- Ensure that repaired sewer line joints are tightly sealed before backfilling begins.
- Tap mainline sewers to install sewer saddles.
- Measure excavation sites, using plumbers' snakes, tapelines, or lengths of cutting heads within sewers, and mark areas for digging.
- Service, adjust, and make minor repairs to equipment, machines, and attachments.
- Break asphalt and other pavement so that pipes can be accessed, using airhammers, picks, and shovels.
- Prepare and keep records of actions taken, including maintenance and repair work.
- Inspect manholes to locate sewer line stoppages.
- Withdraw cables from pipes and examine them for evidence of mud, roots, grease, and other deposits indicating broken or clogged sewer lines.
- Locate problems, using specially designed equipment, and mark where digging must occur to reach damaged tanks or pipes.
- Requisition or order tools and equipment.
- Rotate cleaning rods manually, using turning pins.
- Install rotary knives on flexible cables mounted on machine reels, according to the diameters of pipes to be cleaned.
- Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or related structures such as manholes, culverts, and catch basins.
- Start machines to feed revolving cables or rods into openings, stopping machines and changing knives to conform to pipe sizes.
- Operate sewer cleaning equipment, including power rodders, high-velocity water jets, sewer flushers, bucket machines, wayne balls, and vac-alls.
Related Technology & Tools
- Power screeds
- Portable drills
- Liquid pumps
- Measuring tapes
- Sewer cleaners
- Personal computers
- Caulk dispensing tools
- Septic pumping trucks
- Dirt shovels
- Air tampers
- Pipe cutters
- Material pumping hoses
- Mobile tracked excavators
- Sewer cleaning rods
- Sewer surveillance cameras
- Power rodders
- High velocity water jetters
- Prying bars
- Portable sewer cleaning machines
- Portable concrete mixers
- Bucket machines
- Mobile radios
- Claw hammers
- Global positioning system GPS receivers
- End pipe wrenches
- Power trowels
- Air hammers
- Work scheduling software
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Word processing software
- Route mapping software
- Data entry software
- Web browser software