Will “Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
83% Chance of Automation
“Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #468 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or drains. May patch walls and partitions of tank, replace damaged drain tile, or repair breaks in underground piping.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 47-4071.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 38,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 26,320 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners”.
Also Known As…
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Utility Worker
- Sewer and Drain Technician
- Sewer and Drain Cleaner
- Service Technician
- Septic Pump Truck Driver
- Septic Cleaner
- Public Works Technician
- Maintenance Worker
- Drain Cleaner
- Transport Tank Technician
- Sewer Pipe Cleaner
- Sewer Line Repairer
- Sewer Cleaner
- Sewage Screen Operator
- Septic Technician
- Septic Tank Cleaner
- Roto Rooter Operator
- Pipe Cleaning and Priming Machine Operator
- High Reach Operator
- Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator
- Drain Technician
Tasks for “Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator”
- Inspect manholes to locate sewer line stoppages.
- Operate sewer cleaning equipment, including power rodders, high-velocity water jets, sewer flushers, bucket machines, wayne balls, and vac-alls.
- Drive trucks to transport crews, materials, and equipment.
- Service, adjust, and make minor repairs to equipment, machines, and attachments.
- Ensure that repaired sewer line joints are tightly sealed before backfilling begins.
- Locate problems, using specially designed equipment, and mark where digging must occur to reach damaged tanks or pipes.
- Cut damaged sections of pipe with cutters, remove broken sections from ditches, and replace pipe sections, using pipe sleeves.
- Withdraw cables from pipes and examine them for evidence of mud, roots, grease, and other deposits indicating broken or clogged sewer lines.
- Requisition or order tools and equipment.
- Install rotary knives on flexible cables mounted on machine reels, according to the diameters of pipes to be cleaned.
- Tap mainline sewers to install sewer saddles.
- Measure excavation sites, using plumbers' snakes, tapelines, or lengths of cutting heads within sewers, and mark areas for digging.
- Dig out sewer lines manually, using shovels.
- Prepare and keep records of actions taken, including maintenance and repair work.
- Cover repaired pipes with dirt, and pack backfilled excavations, using air and gasoline tampers.
- Start machines to feed revolving cables or rods into openings, stopping machines and changing knives to conform to pipe sizes.
- Update sewer maps and manhole charts.
- Communicate with supervisors and other workers, using equipment such as wireless phones, pagers, or radio telephones.
- Rotate cleaning rods manually, using turning pins.
- Break asphalt and other pavement so that pipes can be accessed, using airhammers, picks, and shovels.
- Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or related structures such as manholes, culverts, and catch basins.
- Clean and disinfect domestic basements and other areas flooded by sewer stoppages.
Related Technology & Tools
- Prying bars
- Dirt shovels
- Sewer surveillance cameras
- Power rodders
- Power trowels
- Air tampers
- Caulk dispensing tools
- Air hammers
- Power screeds
- High velocity water jetters
- Pipe cutters
- Bucket machines
- Septic pumping trucks
- Measuring tapes
- Portable concrete mixers
- Sewer cleaning rods
- End pipe wrenches
- Personal computers
- Portable sewer cleaning machines
- Claw hammers
- Liquid pumps
- Mobile tracked excavators
- Mobile radios
- Material pumping hoses
- Sewer cleaners
- Global positioning system GPS receivers
- Portable drills
- Web browser software
- Word processing software
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Data entry software
- Work scheduling software
- Route mapping software