Will “Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
83% Chance of Automation
“Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #468 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or drains. May patch walls and partitions of tank, replace damaged drain tile, or repair breaks in underground piping.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 47-4071.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 38,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 26,320 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners”.
Also Known As…
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Utility Worker
- Sewer and Drain Technician
- Sewer and Drain Cleaner
- Service Technician
- Septic Pump Truck Driver
- Septic Cleaner
- Public Works Technician
- Maintenance Worker
- Drain Cleaner
- Transport Tank Technician
- Sewer Pipe Cleaner
- Sewer Line Repairer
- Sewer Cleaner
- Sewage Screen Operator
- Septic Technician
- Septic Tank Cleaner
- Roto Rooter Operator
- Pipe Cleaning and Priming Machine Operator
- High Reach Operator
- Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator
- Drain Technician
Tasks for “Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator”
- Cut damaged sections of pipe with cutters, remove broken sections from ditches, and replace pipe sections, using pipe sleeves.
- Withdraw cables from pipes and examine them for evidence of mud, roots, grease, and other deposits indicating broken or clogged sewer lines.
- Prepare and keep records of actions taken, including maintenance and repair work.
- Drive trucks to transport crews, materials, and equipment.
- Locate problems, using specially designed equipment, and mark where digging must occur to reach damaged tanks or pipes.
- Clean and disinfect domestic basements and other areas flooded by sewer stoppages.
- Requisition or order tools and equipment.
- Ensure that repaired sewer line joints are tightly sealed before backfilling begins.
- Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or related structures such as manholes, culverts, and catch basins.
- Measure excavation sites, using plumbers' snakes, tapelines, or lengths of cutting heads within sewers, and mark areas for digging.
- Service, adjust, and make minor repairs to equipment, machines, and attachments.
- Communicate with supervisors and other workers, using equipment such as wireless phones, pagers, or radio telephones.
- Cover repaired pipes with dirt, and pack backfilled excavations, using air and gasoline tampers.
- Rotate cleaning rods manually, using turning pins.
- Inspect manholes to locate sewer line stoppages.
- Break asphalt and other pavement so that pipes can be accessed, using airhammers, picks, and shovels.
- Install rotary knives on flexible cables mounted on machine reels, according to the diameters of pipes to be cleaned.
- Dig out sewer lines manually, using shovels.
- Update sewer maps and manhole charts.
- Operate sewer cleaning equipment, including power rodders, high-velocity water jets, sewer flushers, bucket machines, wayne balls, and vac-alls.
- Tap mainline sewers to install sewer saddles.
- Start machines to feed revolving cables or rods into openings, stopping machines and changing knives to conform to pipe sizes.
Related Technology & Tools
- Sewer cleaners
- Prying bars
- Caulk dispensing tools
- Power screeds
- Power trowels
- Material pumping hoses
- Bucket machines
- Portable drills
- Portable concrete mixers
- End pipe wrenches
- Mobile tracked excavators
- High velocity water jetters
- Measuring tapes
- Portable sewer cleaning machines
- Claw hammers
- Pipe cutters
- Dirt shovels
- Mobile radios
- Global positioning system GPS receivers
- Sewer cleaning rods
- Air tampers
- Septic pumping trucks
- Personal computers
- Liquid pumps
- Sewer surveillance cameras
- Air hammers
- Power rodders
- Web browser software
- Work scheduling software
- Word processing software
- Route mapping software
- Data entry software
- Intuit QuickBooks