Will “Sewer Line Repairer” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
83% Chance of Automation
“Sewer Line Repairer” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #468 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or drains. May patch walls and partitions of tank, replace damaged drain tile, or repair breaks in underground piping.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 47-4071.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 38,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 26,320 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners”.
Also Known As…
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Utility Worker
- Sewer and Drain Technician
- Sewer and Drain Cleaner
- Service Technician
- Septic Pump Truck Driver
- Septic Cleaner
- Public Works Technician
- Maintenance Worker
- Drain Cleaner
- Transport Tank Technician
- Sewer Pipe Cleaner
- Sewer Cleaner
- Sewage Screen Operator
- Septic Technician
- Septic Tank Cleaner
- Roto Rooter Operator
- Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator
- Pipe Cleaning and Priming Machine Operator
- High Reach Operator
- Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator
- Drain Technician
Tasks for “Sewer Line Repairer”
- Tap mainline sewers to install sewer saddles.
- Measure excavation sites, using plumbers' snakes, tapelines, or lengths of cutting heads within sewers, and mark areas for digging.
- Update sewer maps and manhole charts.
- Dig out sewer lines manually, using shovels.
- Requisition or order tools and equipment.
- Drive trucks to transport crews, materials, and equipment.
- Service, adjust, and make minor repairs to equipment, machines, and attachments.
- Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or related structures such as manholes, culverts, and catch basins.
- Inspect manholes to locate sewer line stoppages.
- Install rotary knives on flexible cables mounted on machine reels, according to the diameters of pipes to be cleaned.
- Cut damaged sections of pipe with cutters, remove broken sections from ditches, and replace pipe sections, using pipe sleeves.
- Prepare and keep records of actions taken, including maintenance and repair work.
- Communicate with supervisors and other workers, using equipment such as wireless phones, pagers, or radio telephones.
- Locate problems, using specially designed equipment, and mark where digging must occur to reach damaged tanks or pipes.
- Clean and disinfect domestic basements and other areas flooded by sewer stoppages.
- Cover repaired pipes with dirt, and pack backfilled excavations, using air and gasoline tampers.
- Withdraw cables from pipes and examine them for evidence of mud, roots, grease, and other deposits indicating broken or clogged sewer lines.
- Operate sewer cleaning equipment, including power rodders, high-velocity water jets, sewer flushers, bucket machines, wayne balls, and vac-alls.
- Ensure that repaired sewer line joints are tightly sealed before backfilling begins.
- Rotate cleaning rods manually, using turning pins.
- Start machines to feed revolving cables or rods into openings, stopping machines and changing knives to conform to pipe sizes.
- Break asphalt and other pavement so that pipes can be accessed, using airhammers, picks, and shovels.
Related Technology & Tools
- Power trowels
- Sewer cleaners
- Claw hammers
- Bucket machines
- Prying bars
- Caulk dispensing tools
- High velocity water jetters
- Air tampers
- Portable concrete mixers
- Sewer cleaning rods
- Portable sewer cleaning machines
- Power screeds
- Global positioning system GPS receivers
- Material pumping hoses
- Dirt shovels
- Power rodders
- Pipe cutters
- Mobile tracked excavators
- Measuring tapes
- Sewer surveillance cameras
- Portable drills
- Liquid pumps
- Air hammers
- End pipe wrenches
- Personal computers
- Septic pumping trucks
- Mobile radios
- Web browser software
- Data entry software
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Work scheduling software
- Word processing software
- Route mapping software