Will “Sewage Screen Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
83% Chance of Automation
“Sewage Screen Operator” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #468 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or drains. May patch walls and partitions of tank, replace damaged drain tile, or repair breaks in underground piping.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 47-4071.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 38,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 26,320 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners”.
Also Known As…
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Utility Worker
- Sewer and Drain Technician
- Sewer and Drain Cleaner
- Service Technician
- Septic Pump Truck Driver
- Septic Cleaner
- Public Works Technician
- Maintenance Worker
- Drain Cleaner
- Transport Tank Technician
- Sewer Pipe Cleaner
- Sewer Line Repairer
- Sewer Cleaner
- Septic Technician
- Septic Tank Cleaner
- Roto Rooter Operator
- Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator
- Pipe Cleaning and Priming Machine Operator
- High Reach Operator
- Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator
- Drain Technician
Tasks for “Sewage Screen Operator”
- Update sewer maps and manhole charts.
- Inspect manholes to locate sewer line stoppages.
- Operate sewer cleaning equipment, including power rodders, high-velocity water jets, sewer flushers, bucket machines, wayne balls, and vac-alls.
- Break asphalt and other pavement so that pipes can be accessed, using airhammers, picks, and shovels.
- Service, adjust, and make minor repairs to equipment, machines, and attachments.
- Tap mainline sewers to install sewer saddles.
- Requisition or order tools and equipment.
- Cut damaged sections of pipe with cutters, remove broken sections from ditches, and replace pipe sections, using pipe sleeves.
- Prepare and keep records of actions taken, including maintenance and repair work.
- Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or related structures such as manholes, culverts, and catch basins.
- Rotate cleaning rods manually, using turning pins.
- Dig out sewer lines manually, using shovels.
- Install rotary knives on flexible cables mounted on machine reels, according to the diameters of pipes to be cleaned.
- Locate problems, using specially designed equipment, and mark where digging must occur to reach damaged tanks or pipes.
- Clean and disinfect domestic basements and other areas flooded by sewer stoppages.
- Withdraw cables from pipes and examine them for evidence of mud, roots, grease, and other deposits indicating broken or clogged sewer lines.
- Communicate with supervisors and other workers, using equipment such as wireless phones, pagers, or radio telephones.
- Start machines to feed revolving cables or rods into openings, stopping machines and changing knives to conform to pipe sizes.
- Measure excavation sites, using plumbers' snakes, tapelines, or lengths of cutting heads within sewers, and mark areas for digging.
- Ensure that repaired sewer line joints are tightly sealed before backfilling begins.
- Cover repaired pipes with dirt, and pack backfilled excavations, using air and gasoline tampers.
- Drive trucks to transport crews, materials, and equipment.
Related Technology & Tools
- Dirt shovels
- Mobile radios
- Global positioning system GPS receivers
- Septic pumping trucks
- Portable sewer cleaning machines
- Bucket machines
- Sewer surveillance cameras
- Pipe cutters
- Mobile tracked excavators
- Caulk dispensing tools
- Portable concrete mixers
- Measuring tapes
- Sewer cleaning rods
- Claw hammers
- Prying bars
- High velocity water jetters
- End pipe wrenches
- Power trowels
- Liquid pumps
- Air hammers
- Air tampers
- Personal computers
- Power screeds
- Power rodders
- Material pumping hoses
- Portable drills
- Sewer cleaners
- Data entry software
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Work scheduling software
- Word processing software
- Web browser software
- Route mapping software