Will “Sewer Pipe Cleaner” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
83% Chance of Automation
“Sewer Pipe Cleaner” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #468 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or drains. May patch walls and partitions of tank, replace damaged drain tile, or repair breaks in underground piping.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 47-4071.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 38,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 26,320 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners”.
Also Known As…
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Utility Worker
- Sewer and Drain Technician
- Sewer and Drain Cleaner
- Service Technician
- Septic Pump Truck Driver
- Septic Cleaner
- Public Works Technician
- Maintenance Worker
- Drain Cleaner
- Transport Tank Technician
- Sewer Line Repairer
- Sewer Cleaner
- Sewage Screen Operator
- Septic Technician
- Septic Tank Cleaner
- Roto Rooter Operator
- Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator
- Pipe Cleaning and Priming Machine Operator
- High Reach Operator
- Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator
- Drain Technician
Tasks for “Sewer Pipe Cleaner”
- Requisition or order tools and equipment.
- Cover repaired pipes with dirt, and pack backfilled excavations, using air and gasoline tampers.
- Update sewer maps and manhole charts.
- Tap mainline sewers to install sewer saddles.
- Withdraw cables from pipes and examine them for evidence of mud, roots, grease, and other deposits indicating broken or clogged sewer lines.
- Service, adjust, and make minor repairs to equipment, machines, and attachments.
- Start machines to feed revolving cables or rods into openings, stopping machines and changing knives to conform to pipe sizes.
- Install rotary knives on flexible cables mounted on machine reels, according to the diameters of pipes to be cleaned.
- Clean and disinfect domestic basements and other areas flooded by sewer stoppages.
- Inspect manholes to locate sewer line stoppages.
- Locate problems, using specially designed equipment, and mark where digging must occur to reach damaged tanks or pipes.
- Drive trucks to transport crews, materials, and equipment.
- Communicate with supervisors and other workers, using equipment such as wireless phones, pagers, or radio telephones.
- Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or related structures such as manholes, culverts, and catch basins.
- Dig out sewer lines manually, using shovels.
- Break asphalt and other pavement so that pipes can be accessed, using airhammers, picks, and shovels.
- Cut damaged sections of pipe with cutters, remove broken sections from ditches, and replace pipe sections, using pipe sleeves.
- Prepare and keep records of actions taken, including maintenance and repair work.
- Rotate cleaning rods manually, using turning pins.
- Operate sewer cleaning equipment, including power rodders, high-velocity water jets, sewer flushers, bucket machines, wayne balls, and vac-alls.
- Ensure that repaired sewer line joints are tightly sealed before backfilling begins.
- Measure excavation sites, using plumbers' snakes, tapelines, or lengths of cutting heads within sewers, and mark areas for digging.
Related Technology & Tools
- Global positioning system GPS receivers
- High velocity water jetters
- Sewer cleaning rods
- Claw hammers
- Portable concrete mixers
- Liquid pumps
- Portable sewer cleaning machines
- Power rodders
- Septic pumping trucks
- Air tampers
- Mobile tracked excavators
- Bucket machines
- Pipe cutters
- Caulk dispensing tools
- Sewer cleaners
- Sewer surveillance cameras
- Personal computers
- Measuring tapes
- Dirt shovels
- Air hammers
- Portable drills
- Power screeds
- Mobile radios
- End pipe wrenches
- Material pumping hoses
- Prying bars
- Power trowels
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Work scheduling software
- Web browser software
- Route mapping software
- Word processing software
- Data entry software