Will “Septic Technician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
83% Chance of Automation
“Septic Technician” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #468 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or drains. May patch walls and partitions of tank, replace damaged drain tile, or repair breaks in underground piping.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 47-4071.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 38,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 26,320 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners”.
Also Known As…
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Utility Worker
- Sewer and Drain Technician
- Sewer and Drain Cleaner
- Service Technician
- Septic Pump Truck Driver
- Septic Cleaner
- Public Works Technician
- Maintenance Worker
- Drain Cleaner
- Transport Tank Technician
- Sewer Pipe Cleaner
- Sewer Line Repairer
- Sewer Cleaner
- Sewage Screen Operator
- Septic Tank Cleaner
- Roto Rooter Operator
- Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator
- Pipe Cleaning and Priming Machine Operator
- High Reach Operator
- Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator
- Drain Technician
Tasks for “Septic Technician”
- Requisition or order tools and equipment.
- Dig out sewer lines manually, using shovels.
- Prepare and keep records of actions taken, including maintenance and repair work.
- Update sewer maps and manhole charts.
- Drive trucks to transport crews, materials, and equipment.
- Break asphalt and other pavement so that pipes can be accessed, using airhammers, picks, and shovels.
- Withdraw cables from pipes and examine them for evidence of mud, roots, grease, and other deposits indicating broken or clogged sewer lines.
- Cover repaired pipes with dirt, and pack backfilled excavations, using air and gasoline tampers.
- Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or related structures such as manholes, culverts, and catch basins.
- Tap mainline sewers to install sewer saddles.
- Rotate cleaning rods manually, using turning pins.
- Ensure that repaired sewer line joints are tightly sealed before backfilling begins.
- Clean and disinfect domestic basements and other areas flooded by sewer stoppages.
- Cut damaged sections of pipe with cutters, remove broken sections from ditches, and replace pipe sections, using pipe sleeves.
- Service, adjust, and make minor repairs to equipment, machines, and attachments.
- Locate problems, using specially designed equipment, and mark where digging must occur to reach damaged tanks or pipes.
- Inspect manholes to locate sewer line stoppages.
- Measure excavation sites, using plumbers' snakes, tapelines, or lengths of cutting heads within sewers, and mark areas for digging.
- Operate sewer cleaning equipment, including power rodders, high-velocity water jets, sewer flushers, bucket machines, wayne balls, and vac-alls.
- Install rotary knives on flexible cables mounted on machine reels, according to the diameters of pipes to be cleaned.
- Start machines to feed revolving cables or rods into openings, stopping machines and changing knives to conform to pipe sizes.
- Communicate with supervisors and other workers, using equipment such as wireless phones, pagers, or radio telephones.
Related Technology & Tools
- Power screeds
- Dirt shovels
- Liquid pumps
- Bucket machines
- Portable concrete mixers
- Mobile radios
- Prying bars
- Sewer cleaners
- End pipe wrenches
- High velocity water jetters
- Portable sewer cleaning machines
- Mobile tracked excavators
- Air tampers
- Septic pumping trucks
- Power rodders
- Power trowels
- Pipe cutters
- Measuring tapes
- Material pumping hoses
- Air hammers
- Claw hammers
- Sewer cleaning rods
- Caulk dispensing tools
- Personal computers
- Sewer surveillance cameras
- Global positioning system GPS receivers
- Portable drills
- Route mapping software
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Web browser software
- Work scheduling software
- Data entry software
- Word processing software