Will “Septic Tank Cleaner” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
83% Chance of Automation
“Septic Tank Cleaner” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #468 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or drains. May patch walls and partitions of tank, replace damaged drain tile, or repair breaks in underground piping.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 47-4071.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 38,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 26,320 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners”.
Also Known As…
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Utility Worker
- Sewer and Drain Technician
- Sewer and Drain Cleaner
- Service Technician
- Septic Pump Truck Driver
- Septic Cleaner
- Public Works Technician
- Maintenance Worker
- Drain Cleaner
- Transport Tank Technician
- Sewer Pipe Cleaner
- Sewer Line Repairer
- Sewer Cleaner
- Sewage Screen Operator
- Septic Technician
- Roto Rooter Operator
- Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator
- Pipe Cleaning and Priming Machine Operator
- High Reach Operator
- Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator
- Drain Technician
Tasks for “Septic Tank Cleaner”
- Withdraw cables from pipes and examine them for evidence of mud, roots, grease, and other deposits indicating broken or clogged sewer lines.
- Clean and disinfect domestic basements and other areas flooded by sewer stoppages.
- Drive trucks to transport crews, materials, and equipment.
- Update sewer maps and manhole charts.
- Operate sewer cleaning equipment, including power rodders, high-velocity water jets, sewer flushers, bucket machines, wayne balls, and vac-alls.
- Dig out sewer lines manually, using shovels.
- Communicate with supervisors and other workers, using equipment such as wireless phones, pagers, or radio telephones.
- Requisition or order tools and equipment.
- Locate problems, using specially designed equipment, and mark where digging must occur to reach damaged tanks or pipes.
- Break asphalt and other pavement so that pipes can be accessed, using airhammers, picks, and shovels.
- Cover repaired pipes with dirt, and pack backfilled excavations, using air and gasoline tampers.
- Service, adjust, and make minor repairs to equipment, machines, and attachments.
- Inspect manholes to locate sewer line stoppages.
- Start machines to feed revolving cables or rods into openings, stopping machines and changing knives to conform to pipe sizes.
- Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or related structures such as manholes, culverts, and catch basins.
- Cut damaged sections of pipe with cutters, remove broken sections from ditches, and replace pipe sections, using pipe sleeves.
- Install rotary knives on flexible cables mounted on machine reels, according to the diameters of pipes to be cleaned.
- Prepare and keep records of actions taken, including maintenance and repair work.
- Tap mainline sewers to install sewer saddles.
- Rotate cleaning rods manually, using turning pins.
- Ensure that repaired sewer line joints are tightly sealed before backfilling begins.
- Measure excavation sites, using plumbers' snakes, tapelines, or lengths of cutting heads within sewers, and mark areas for digging.
Related Technology & Tools
- Bucket machines
- Portable concrete mixers
- High velocity water jetters
- Pipe cutters
- Caulk dispensing tools
- Dirt shovels
- End pipe wrenches
- Prying bars
- Mobile radios
- Power screeds
- Personal computers
- Global positioning system GPS receivers
- Claw hammers
- Power trowels
- Sewer cleaning rods
- Portable sewer cleaning machines
- Material pumping hoses
- Sewer cleaners
- Power rodders
- Air tampers
- Mobile tracked excavators
- Liquid pumps
- Septic pumping trucks
- Portable drills
- Sewer surveillance cameras
- Air hammers
- Measuring tapes
- Work scheduling software
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Data entry software
- Word processing software
- Web browser software
- Route mapping software