Will “Sewer and Drain Cleaner” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
83% Chance of Automation
“Sewer and Drain Cleaner” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #468 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or drains. May patch walls and partitions of tank, replace damaged drain tile, or repair breaks in underground piping.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 47-4071.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 38,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 26,320 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners”.
Also Known As…
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Utility Worker
- Sewer and Drain Technician
- Sewer and Drain Cleaner
- Service Technician
- Septic Pump Truck Driver
- Septic Cleaner
- Public Works Technician
- Maintenance Worker
- Drain Cleaner
- Transport Tank Technician
- Sewer Pipe Cleaner
- Sewer Line Repairer
- Sewer Cleaner
- Sewage Screen Operator
- Septic Technician
- Septic Tank Cleaner
- Roto Rooter Operator
- Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator
- Pipe Cleaning and Priming Machine Operator
- High Reach Operator
- Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator
- Drain Technician
Tasks for “Sewer and Drain Cleaner”
- Cut damaged sections of pipe with cutters, remove broken sections from ditches, and replace pipe sections, using pipe sleeves.
- Clean and disinfect domestic basements and other areas flooded by sewer stoppages.
- Rotate cleaning rods manually, using turning pins.
- Break asphalt and other pavement so that pipes can be accessed, using airhammers, picks, and shovels.
- Update sewer maps and manhole charts.
- Locate problems, using specially designed equipment, and mark where digging must occur to reach damaged tanks or pipes.
- Ensure that repaired sewer line joints are tightly sealed before backfilling begins.
- Operate sewer cleaning equipment, including power rodders, high-velocity water jets, sewer flushers, bucket machines, wayne balls, and vac-alls.
- Communicate with supervisors and other workers, using equipment such as wireless phones, pagers, or radio telephones.
- Tap mainline sewers to install sewer saddles.
- Cover repaired pipes with dirt, and pack backfilled excavations, using air and gasoline tampers.
- Measure excavation sites, using plumbers' snakes, tapelines, or lengths of cutting heads within sewers, and mark areas for digging.
- Prepare and keep records of actions taken, including maintenance and repair work.
- Drive trucks to transport crews, materials, and equipment.
- Requisition or order tools and equipment.
- Start machines to feed revolving cables or rods into openings, stopping machines and changing knives to conform to pipe sizes.
- Service, adjust, and make minor repairs to equipment, machines, and attachments.
- Withdraw cables from pipes and examine them for evidence of mud, roots, grease, and other deposits indicating broken or clogged sewer lines.
- Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or related structures such as manholes, culverts, and catch basins.
- Dig out sewer lines manually, using shovels.
- Install rotary knives on flexible cables mounted on machine reels, according to the diameters of pipes to be cleaned.
- Inspect manholes to locate sewer line stoppages.
Related Technology & Tools
- End pipe wrenches
- Sewer cleaners
- Portable drills
- Sewer cleaning rods
- Pipe cutters
- Power trowels
- Prying bars
- Power screeds
- Air hammers
- Mobile tracked excavators
- Personal computers
- Power rodders
- Caulk dispensing tools
- Mobile radios
- Material pumping hoses
- Sewer surveillance cameras
- Measuring tapes
- Septic pumping trucks
- Claw hammers
- Dirt shovels
- Air tampers
- High velocity water jetters
- Portable sewer cleaning machines
- Global positioning system GPS receivers
- Portable concrete mixers
- Bucket machines
- Liquid pumps
- Route mapping software
- Word processing software
- Work scheduling software
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Web browser software
- Data entry software