Will “Sewer and Drain Technician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
83% Chance of Automation
“Sewer and Drain Technician” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #468 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or drains. May patch walls and partitions of tank, replace damaged drain tile, or repair breaks in underground piping.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 47-4071.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 38,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 26,320 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners”.
Also Known As…
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Utility Worker
- Sewer and Drain Technician
- Sewer and Drain Cleaner
- Service Technician
- Septic Pump Truck Driver
- Septic Cleaner
- Public Works Technician
- Maintenance Worker
- Drain Cleaner
- Transport Tank Technician
- Sewer Pipe Cleaner
- Sewer Line Repairer
- Sewer Cleaner
- Sewage Screen Operator
- Septic Technician
- Septic Tank Cleaner
- Roto Rooter Operator
- Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator
- Pipe Cleaning and Priming Machine Operator
- High Reach Operator
- Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator
- Drain Technician
Tasks for “Sewer and Drain Technician”
- Requisition or order tools and equipment.
- Ensure that repaired sewer line joints are tightly sealed before backfilling begins.
- Break asphalt and other pavement so that pipes can be accessed, using airhammers, picks, and shovels.
- Withdraw cables from pipes and examine them for evidence of mud, roots, grease, and other deposits indicating broken or clogged sewer lines.
- Start machines to feed revolving cables or rods into openings, stopping machines and changing knives to conform to pipe sizes.
- Service, adjust, and make minor repairs to equipment, machines, and attachments.
- Dig out sewer lines manually, using shovels.
- Rotate cleaning rods manually, using turning pins.
- Measure excavation sites, using plumbers' snakes, tapelines, or lengths of cutting heads within sewers, and mark areas for digging.
- Drive trucks to transport crews, materials, and equipment.
- Update sewer maps and manhole charts.
- Inspect manholes to locate sewer line stoppages.
- Install rotary knives on flexible cables mounted on machine reels, according to the diameters of pipes to be cleaned.
- Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or related structures such as manholes, culverts, and catch basins.
- Cover repaired pipes with dirt, and pack backfilled excavations, using air and gasoline tampers.
- Prepare and keep records of actions taken, including maintenance and repair work.
- Cut damaged sections of pipe with cutters, remove broken sections from ditches, and replace pipe sections, using pipe sleeves.
- Clean and disinfect domestic basements and other areas flooded by sewer stoppages.
- Tap mainline sewers to install sewer saddles.
- Operate sewer cleaning equipment, including power rodders, high-velocity water jets, sewer flushers, bucket machines, wayne balls, and vac-alls.
- Locate problems, using specially designed equipment, and mark where digging must occur to reach damaged tanks or pipes.
- Communicate with supervisors and other workers, using equipment such as wireless phones, pagers, or radio telephones.
Related Technology & Tools
- Dirt shovels
- Power rodders
- Global positioning system GPS receivers
- Portable sewer cleaning machines
- Air hammers
- Septic pumping trucks
- Air tampers
- End pipe wrenches
- Sewer cleaners
- High velocity water jetters
- Mobile tracked excavators
- Power screeds
- Caulk dispensing tools
- Sewer surveillance cameras
- Power trowels
- Material pumping hoses
- Personal computers
- Measuring tapes
- Bucket machines
- Mobile radios
- Portable drills
- Portable concrete mixers
- Pipe cutters
- Claw hammers
- Prying bars
- Liquid pumps
- Sewer cleaning rods
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Word processing software
- Work scheduling software
- Data entry software
- Route mapping software
- Web browser software