Will “Sewer and Drain Technician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
83% Chance of Automation
“Sewer and Drain Technician” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #468 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or drains. May patch walls and partitions of tank, replace damaged drain tile, or repair breaks in underground piping.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 47-4071.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 38,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 26,320 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners”.
Also Known As…
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Utility Worker
- Sewer and Drain Technician
- Sewer and Drain Cleaner
- Service Technician
- Septic Pump Truck Driver
- Septic Cleaner
- Public Works Technician
- Maintenance Worker
- Drain Cleaner
- Transport Tank Technician
- Sewer Pipe Cleaner
- Sewer Line Repairer
- Sewer Cleaner
- Sewage Screen Operator
- Septic Technician
- Septic Tank Cleaner
- Roto Rooter Operator
- Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator
- Pipe Cleaning and Priming Machine Operator
- High Reach Operator
- Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator
- Drain Technician
Tasks for “Sewer and Drain Technician”
- Communicate with supervisors and other workers, using equipment such as wireless phones, pagers, or radio telephones.
- Drive trucks to transport crews, materials, and equipment.
- Cut damaged sections of pipe with cutters, remove broken sections from ditches, and replace pipe sections, using pipe sleeves.
- Clean and disinfect domestic basements and other areas flooded by sewer stoppages.
- Dig out sewer lines manually, using shovels.
- Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or related structures such as manholes, culverts, and catch basins.
- Withdraw cables from pipes and examine them for evidence of mud, roots, grease, and other deposits indicating broken or clogged sewer lines.
- Requisition or order tools and equipment.
- Locate problems, using specially designed equipment, and mark where digging must occur to reach damaged tanks or pipes.
- Inspect manholes to locate sewer line stoppages.
- Ensure that repaired sewer line joints are tightly sealed before backfilling begins.
- Update sewer maps and manhole charts.
- Cover repaired pipes with dirt, and pack backfilled excavations, using air and gasoline tampers.
- Install rotary knives on flexible cables mounted on machine reels, according to the diameters of pipes to be cleaned.
- Service, adjust, and make minor repairs to equipment, machines, and attachments.
- Start machines to feed revolving cables or rods into openings, stopping machines and changing knives to conform to pipe sizes.
- Break asphalt and other pavement so that pipes can be accessed, using airhammers, picks, and shovels.
- Measure excavation sites, using plumbers' snakes, tapelines, or lengths of cutting heads within sewers, and mark areas for digging.
- Tap mainline sewers to install sewer saddles.
- Prepare and keep records of actions taken, including maintenance and repair work.
- Rotate cleaning rods manually, using turning pins.
- Operate sewer cleaning equipment, including power rodders, high-velocity water jets, sewer flushers, bucket machines, wayne balls, and vac-alls.
Related Technology & Tools
- Sewer surveillance cameras
- Power rodders
- Pipe cutters
- Claw hammers
- Dirt shovels
- Bucket machines
- Personal computers
- Caulk dispensing tools
- Portable sewer cleaning machines
- Portable concrete mixers
- Portable drills
- High velocity water jetters
- Global positioning system GPS receivers
- Sewer cleaning rods
- End pipe wrenches
- Power trowels
- Sewer cleaners
- Air tampers
- Air hammers
- Mobile radios
- Power screeds
- Liquid pumps
- Septic pumping trucks
- Material pumping hoses
- Measuring tapes
- Mobile tracked excavators
- Prying bars
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Data entry software
- Work scheduling software
- Web browser software
- Route mapping software
- Word processing software