Will “Manufacturing Engineer” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Design, integrate, or improve manufacturing systems or related processes. May work with commercial or industrial designers to refine product designs to increase producibility and decrease costs.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2199.04
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Manufacturing Engineers”.
Also Known As…
- Manufacturing Engineers
- Process Engineer
- Plant Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineering Manager
- Manufacturing Director
- Facility Engineer
- Process Manufacturing Engineer
- Methods Engineer
- Manufacturing Systems Engineer
- Manufacturing Process Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Manufacturing Applications Engineer
- Lean Manufacturing Engineer
- Foundry Process Engineer
- Engineer, Process
- Engineer, Methods
- Engineer, Foundry Process
- Continuous Improvement Manager
- Automation Engineer
- Applications Engineer, Manufacturing
Tasks for “Manufacturing Engineer”
- Provide technical expertise or support related to manufacturing.
- Develop sustainable manufacturing technologies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, minimize raw material use, replace toxic materials with non-toxic materials, replace non-renewable materials with renewable materials, or reduce waste.
- Estimate costs, production times, or staffing requirements for new designs.
- Evaluate current or proposed manufacturing processes or practices for environmental sustainability, considering factors such as greenhouse gas emissions, air pollution, water pollution, energy use, or waste creation.
- Design, install, or troubleshoot manufacturing equipment.
- Read current literature, talk with colleagues, participate in educational programs, attend meetings, attend workshops, or participate in professional organizations or conferences to keep abreast of developments in the manufacturing field.
- Purchase equipment, materials, or parts.
- Design testing methods and test finished products or process capabilities to establish standards or validate process requirements.
- Determine root causes of failures using statistical methods and recommend changes in designs, tolerances, or processing methods.
- Apply continuous improvement methods such as lean manufacturing to enhance manufacturing quality, reliability, or cost-effectiveness.
- Investigate or resolve operational problems, such as material use variances or bottlenecks.
- Troubleshoot new or existing product problems involving designs, materials, or processes.
- Train production personnel in new or existing methods.
- Identify opportunities or implement changes to improve products or reduce costs using knowledge of fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment, assembly methods, quality control standards, or product design, materials and parts.
- Redesign packaging for manufactured products to minimize raw material use or waste.
- Communicate manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, or other information to facilitate production processes.
- Prepare reports summarizing information or trends related to manufacturing performance.
- Design layout of equipment or workspaces to achieve maximum efficiency.
- Analyze the financial impacts of sustainable manufacturing processes or sustainable product manufacturing.
- Incorporate new methods and processes to improve existing operations.
- Prepare documentation for new manufacturing processes or engineering procedures.
- Supervise technicians, technologists, analysts, administrative staff, or other engineers.
- Review product designs for manufacturability or completeness.
- Evaluate manufactured products according to specifications and quality standards.
Related Technology & Tools
- Desktop computers
- Personal digital assistants PDA
- Scientific calculators
- Laptop computers
- Digital micrometers
- Personal computers
- Digital calipers
- Optical compound microscopes
- Programmable logic controller PLC software
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
- PTC Creo Parametric
- Geometric CAMWorks
- SolidWorks Enterprise PDM
- Microsoft Visual Basic
- IBM Notes
- Dassault Systems SOLIDWORKS
- Microsoft Visio
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- National Instruments LabVIEW
- Product lifecycle management PLM software
- Siemens NX for Manufacturing
- CNC Mastercam
- Web browser software
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Office
- Computer numerical control CNC software
- Microsoft Access
- Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Project
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Word