Will “Manufacturing Engineers” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Design, integrate, or improve manufacturing systems or related processes. May work with commercial or industrial designers to refine product designs to increase producibility and decrease costs.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2199.04
Also Known As…
- Process Engineer
- Plant Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineering Manager
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Manufacturing Director
- Facility Engineer
- Process Manufacturing Engineer
- Methods Engineer
- Manufacturing Systems Engineer
- Manufacturing Process Engineer
- Manufacturing Applications Engineer
- Lean Manufacturing Engineer
- Foundry Process Engineer
- Engineer, Process
- Engineer, Methods
- Engineer, Foundry Process
- Continuous Improvement Manager
- Automation Engineer
- Applications Engineer, Manufacturing
Tasks for “Manufacturing Engineers”
- Analyze the financial impacts of sustainable manufacturing processes or sustainable product manufacturing.
- Design testing methods and test finished products or process capabilities to establish standards or validate process requirements.
- Estimate costs, production times, or staffing requirements for new designs.
- Prepare documentation for new manufacturing processes or engineering procedures.
- Prepare reports summarizing information or trends related to manufacturing performance.
- Train production personnel in new or existing methods.
- Develop sustainable manufacturing technologies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, minimize raw material use, replace toxic materials with non-toxic materials, replace non-renewable materials with renewable materials, or reduce waste.
- Incorporate new methods and processes to improve existing operations.
- Evaluate current or proposed manufacturing processes or practices for environmental sustainability, considering factors such as greenhouse gas emissions, air pollution, water pollution, energy use, or waste creation.
- Evaluate manufactured products according to specifications and quality standards.
- Troubleshoot new or existing product problems involving designs, materials, or processes.
- Apply continuous improvement methods such as lean manufacturing to enhance manufacturing quality, reliability, or cost-effectiveness.
- Communicate manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, or other information to facilitate production processes.
- Identify opportunities or implement changes to improve products or reduce costs using knowledge of fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment, assembly methods, quality control standards, or product design, materials and parts.
- Read current literature, talk with colleagues, participate in educational programs, attend meetings, attend workshops, or participate in professional organizations or conferences to keep abreast of developments in the manufacturing field.
- Design layout of equipment or workspaces to achieve maximum efficiency.
- Provide technical expertise or support related to manufacturing.
- Redesign packaging for manufactured products to minimize raw material use or waste.
- Investigate or resolve operational problems, such as material use variances or bottlenecks.
- Design, install, or troubleshoot manufacturing equipment.
- Supervise technicians, technologists, analysts, administrative staff, or other engineers.
- Purchase equipment, materials, or parts.
- Determine root causes of failures using statistical methods and recommend changes in designs, tolerances, or processing methods.
- Review product designs for manufacturability or completeness.
Related Technology & Tools
- Personal computers
- Laptop computers
- Scientific calculators
- Digital calipers
- Personal digital assistants PDA
- Desktop computers
- Optical compound microscopes
- Digital micrometers
- Programmable logic controller PLC software
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Dassault Systems SOLIDWORKS
- Microsoft Visual Basic
- SolidWorks Enterprise PDM
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Microsoft Word
- Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- Geometric CAMWorks
- Microsoft Office
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
- PTC Creo Parametric
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- IBM Notes
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Computer numerical control CNC software
- Siemens NX for Manufacturing
- CNC Mastercam
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Project
- Product lifecycle management PLM software
- Web browser software
- National Instruments LabVIEW
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Visio