Will “Manufacturing Engineers” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Design, integrate, or improve manufacturing systems or related processes. May work with commercial or industrial designers to refine product designs to increase producibility and decrease costs.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2199.04
Also Known As…
- Process Engineer
- Plant Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineering Manager
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Manufacturing Director
- Facility Engineer
- Process Manufacturing Engineer
- Methods Engineer
- Manufacturing Systems Engineer
- Manufacturing Process Engineer
- Manufacturing Applications Engineer
- Lean Manufacturing Engineer
- Foundry Process Engineer
- Engineer, Process
- Engineer, Methods
- Engineer, Foundry Process
- Continuous Improvement Manager
- Automation Engineer
- Applications Engineer, Manufacturing
Tasks for “Manufacturing Engineers”
- Design testing methods and test finished products or process capabilities to establish standards or validate process requirements.
- Incorporate new methods and processes to improve existing operations.
- Read current literature, talk with colleagues, participate in educational programs, attend meetings, attend workshops, or participate in professional organizations or conferences to keep abreast of developments in the manufacturing field.
- Identify opportunities or implement changes to improve products or reduce costs using knowledge of fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment, assembly methods, quality control standards, or product design, materials and parts.
- Investigate or resolve operational problems, such as material use variances or bottlenecks.
- Provide technical expertise or support related to manufacturing.
- Redesign packaging for manufactured products to minimize raw material use or waste.
- Develop sustainable manufacturing technologies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, minimize raw material use, replace toxic materials with non-toxic materials, replace non-renewable materials with renewable materials, or reduce waste.
- Troubleshoot new or existing product problems involving designs, materials, or processes.
- Prepare reports summarizing information or trends related to manufacturing performance.
- Review product designs for manufacturability or completeness.
- Analyze the financial impacts of sustainable manufacturing processes or sustainable product manufacturing.
- Estimate costs, production times, or staffing requirements for new designs.
- Communicate manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, or other information to facilitate production processes.
- Design layout of equipment or workspaces to achieve maximum efficiency.
- Purchase equipment, materials, or parts.
- Evaluate current or proposed manufacturing processes or practices for environmental sustainability, considering factors such as greenhouse gas emissions, air pollution, water pollution, energy use, or waste creation.
- Supervise technicians, technologists, analysts, administrative staff, or other engineers.
- Prepare documentation for new manufacturing processes or engineering procedures.
- Design, install, or troubleshoot manufacturing equipment.
- Determine root causes of failures using statistical methods and recommend changes in designs, tolerances, or processing methods.
- Train production personnel in new or existing methods.
- Apply continuous improvement methods such as lean manufacturing to enhance manufacturing quality, reliability, or cost-effectiveness.
- Evaluate manufactured products according to specifications and quality standards.
Related Technology & Tools
- Scientific calculators
- Programmable logic controller PLC software
- Personal digital assistants PDA
- Desktop computers
- Optical compound microscopes
- Digital micrometers
- Personal computers
- Digital calipers
- Laptop computers
- Microsoft Word
- Web browser software
- SolidWorks Enterprise PDM
- Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- Microsoft Visio
- Microsoft Visual Basic
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Excel
- CNC Mastercam
- PTC Creo Parametric
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Project
- Product lifecycle management PLM software
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Dassault Systems SOLIDWORKS
- IBM Notes
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Siemens NX for Manufacturing
- Microsoft Access
- National Instruments LabVIEW
- Geometric CAMWorks
- Computer numerical control CNC software
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software