Will “Engineer, Process” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Design, integrate, or improve manufacturing systems or related processes. May work with commercial or industrial designers to refine product designs to increase producibility and decrease costs.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2199.04
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Manufacturing Engineers”.
Also Known As…
- Manufacturing Engineers
- Process Engineer
- Plant Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineering Manager
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Manufacturing Director
- Facility Engineer
- Process Manufacturing Engineer
- Methods Engineer
- Manufacturing Systems Engineer
- Manufacturing Process Engineer
- Manufacturing Applications Engineer
- Lean Manufacturing Engineer
- Foundry Process Engineer
- Engineer, Methods
- Engineer, Foundry Process
- Continuous Improvement Manager
- Automation Engineer
- Applications Engineer, Manufacturing
Tasks for “Engineer, Process”
- Supervise technicians, technologists, analysts, administrative staff, or other engineers.
- Redesign packaging for manufactured products to minimize raw material use or waste.
- Prepare documentation for new manufacturing processes or engineering procedures.
- Read current literature, talk with colleagues, participate in educational programs, attend meetings, attend workshops, or participate in professional organizations or conferences to keep abreast of developments in the manufacturing field.
- Design layout of equipment or workspaces to achieve maximum efficiency.
- Communicate manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, or other information to facilitate production processes.
- Evaluate manufactured products according to specifications and quality standards.
- Design, install, or troubleshoot manufacturing equipment.
- Estimate costs, production times, or staffing requirements for new designs.
- Investigate or resolve operational problems, such as material use variances or bottlenecks.
- Purchase equipment, materials, or parts.
- Prepare reports summarizing information or trends related to manufacturing performance.
- Determine root causes of failures using statistical methods and recommend changes in designs, tolerances, or processing methods.
- Troubleshoot new or existing product problems involving designs, materials, or processes.
- Design testing methods and test finished products or process capabilities to establish standards or validate process requirements.
- Evaluate current or proposed manufacturing processes or practices for environmental sustainability, considering factors such as greenhouse gas emissions, air pollution, water pollution, energy use, or waste creation.
- Identify opportunities or implement changes to improve products or reduce costs using knowledge of fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment, assembly methods, quality control standards, or product design, materials and parts.
- Incorporate new methods and processes to improve existing operations.
- Provide technical expertise or support related to manufacturing.
- Apply continuous improvement methods such as lean manufacturing to enhance manufacturing quality, reliability, or cost-effectiveness.
- Develop sustainable manufacturing technologies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, minimize raw material use, replace toxic materials with non-toxic materials, replace non-renewable materials with renewable materials, or reduce waste.
- Review product designs for manufacturability or completeness.
- Analyze the financial impacts of sustainable manufacturing processes or sustainable product manufacturing.
- Train production personnel in new or existing methods.
Related Technology & Tools
- Digital micrometers
- Scientific calculators
- Digital calipers
- Optical compound microscopes
- Personal digital assistants PDA
- Programmable logic controller PLC software
- Desktop computers
- Laptop computers
- Personal computers
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Project
- National Instruments LabVIEW
- Microsoft Visual Basic
- Siemens NX for Manufacturing
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- IBM Notes
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Visio
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Office
- PTC Creo Parametric
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
- Dassault Systems SOLIDWORKS
- SolidWorks Enterprise PDM
- Microsoft Access
- Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- Web browser software
- CNC Mastercam
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Geometric CAMWorks
- Product lifecycle management PLM software
- Computer numerical control CNC software