Will “Engineer, Process” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Design, integrate, or improve manufacturing systems or related processes. May work with commercial or industrial designers to refine product designs to increase producibility and decrease costs.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2199.04
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Manufacturing Engineers”.
Also Known As…
- Manufacturing Engineers
- Process Engineer
- Plant Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineering Manager
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Manufacturing Director
- Facility Engineer
- Process Manufacturing Engineer
- Methods Engineer
- Manufacturing Systems Engineer
- Manufacturing Process Engineer
- Manufacturing Applications Engineer
- Lean Manufacturing Engineer
- Foundry Process Engineer
- Engineer, Methods
- Engineer, Foundry Process
- Continuous Improvement Manager
- Automation Engineer
- Applications Engineer, Manufacturing
Tasks for “Engineer, Process”
- Evaluate manufactured products according to specifications and quality standards.
- Purchase equipment, materials, or parts.
- Prepare reports summarizing information or trends related to manufacturing performance.
- Design testing methods and test finished products or process capabilities to establish standards or validate process requirements.
- Troubleshoot new or existing product problems involving designs, materials, or processes.
- Read current literature, talk with colleagues, participate in educational programs, attend meetings, attend workshops, or participate in professional organizations or conferences to keep abreast of developments in the manufacturing field.
- Evaluate current or proposed manufacturing processes or practices for environmental sustainability, considering factors such as greenhouse gas emissions, air pollution, water pollution, energy use, or waste creation.
- Estimate costs, production times, or staffing requirements for new designs.
- Develop sustainable manufacturing technologies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, minimize raw material use, replace toxic materials with non-toxic materials, replace non-renewable materials with renewable materials, or reduce waste.
- Communicate manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, or other information to facilitate production processes.
- Train production personnel in new or existing methods.
- Design, install, or troubleshoot manufacturing equipment.
- Design layout of equipment or workspaces to achieve maximum efficiency.
- Incorporate new methods and processes to improve existing operations.
- Determine root causes of failures using statistical methods and recommend changes in designs, tolerances, or processing methods.
- Investigate or resolve operational problems, such as material use variances or bottlenecks.
- Review product designs for manufacturability or completeness.
- Identify opportunities or implement changes to improve products or reduce costs using knowledge of fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment, assembly methods, quality control standards, or product design, materials and parts.
- Prepare documentation for new manufacturing processes or engineering procedures.
- Provide technical expertise or support related to manufacturing.
- Supervise technicians, technologists, analysts, administrative staff, or other engineers.
- Redesign packaging for manufactured products to minimize raw material use or waste.
- Apply continuous improvement methods such as lean manufacturing to enhance manufacturing quality, reliability, or cost-effectiveness.
- Analyze the financial impacts of sustainable manufacturing processes or sustainable product manufacturing.
Related Technology & Tools
- Digital calipers
- Programmable logic controller PLC software
- Personal computers
- Personal digital assistants PDA
- Optical compound microscopes
- Scientific calculators
- Desktop computers
- Laptop computers
- Digital micrometers
- Microsoft Outlook
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Dassault Systems SOLIDWORKS
- Microsoft Project
- Siemens NX for Manufacturing
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Web browser software
- Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- PTC Creo Parametric
- Microsoft Access
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
- Microsoft Office
- CNC Mastercam
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- IBM Notes
- Computer numerical control CNC software
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Visio
- SolidWorks Enterprise PDM
- Geometric CAMWorks
- Product lifecycle management PLM software
- Microsoft Word
- National Instruments LabVIEW
- Microsoft Visual Basic