Will “Methods Engineer” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Design, integrate, or improve manufacturing systems or related processes. May work with commercial or industrial designers to refine product designs to increase producibility and decrease costs.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2199.04
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Manufacturing Engineers”.
Also Known As…
- Manufacturing Engineers
- Process Engineer
- Plant Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineering Manager
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Manufacturing Director
- Facility Engineer
- Process Manufacturing Engineer
- Manufacturing Systems Engineer
- Manufacturing Process Engineer
- Manufacturing Applications Engineer
- Lean Manufacturing Engineer
- Foundry Process Engineer
- Engineer, Process
- Engineer, Methods
- Engineer, Foundry Process
- Continuous Improvement Manager
- Automation Engineer
- Applications Engineer, Manufacturing
Tasks for “Methods Engineer”
- Investigate or resolve operational problems, such as material use variances or bottlenecks.
- Redesign packaging for manufactured products to minimize raw material use or waste.
- Prepare reports summarizing information or trends related to manufacturing performance.
- Incorporate new methods and processes to improve existing operations.
- Communicate manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, or other information to facilitate production processes.
- Purchase equipment, materials, or parts.
- Train production personnel in new or existing methods.
- Provide technical expertise or support related to manufacturing.
- Prepare documentation for new manufacturing processes or engineering procedures.
- Estimate costs, production times, or staffing requirements for new designs.
- Design testing methods and test finished products or process capabilities to establish standards or validate process requirements.
- Design layout of equipment or workspaces to achieve maximum efficiency.
- Troubleshoot new or existing product problems involving designs, materials, or processes.
- Supervise technicians, technologists, analysts, administrative staff, or other engineers.
- Evaluate current or proposed manufacturing processes or practices for environmental sustainability, considering factors such as greenhouse gas emissions, air pollution, water pollution, energy use, or waste creation.
- Read current literature, talk with colleagues, participate in educational programs, attend meetings, attend workshops, or participate in professional organizations or conferences to keep abreast of developments in the manufacturing field.
- Evaluate manufactured products according to specifications and quality standards.
- Analyze the financial impacts of sustainable manufacturing processes or sustainable product manufacturing.
- Identify opportunities or implement changes to improve products or reduce costs using knowledge of fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment, assembly methods, quality control standards, or product design, materials and parts.
- Review product designs for manufacturability or completeness.
- Develop sustainable manufacturing technologies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, minimize raw material use, replace toxic materials with non-toxic materials, replace non-renewable materials with renewable materials, or reduce waste.
- Determine root causes of failures using statistical methods and recommend changes in designs, tolerances, or processing methods.
- Apply continuous improvement methods such as lean manufacturing to enhance manufacturing quality, reliability, or cost-effectiveness.
- Design, install, or troubleshoot manufacturing equipment.
Related Technology & Tools
- Digital calipers
- Programmable logic controller PLC software
- Optical compound microscopes
- Laptop computers
- Desktop computers
- Scientific calculators
- Digital micrometers
- Personal computers
- Personal digital assistants PDA
- Microsoft Word
- CNC Mastercam
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
- Web browser software
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- National Instruments LabVIEW
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Product lifecycle management PLM software
- Microsoft Outlook
- Computer numerical control CNC software
- Microsoft Visual Basic
- Siemens NX for Manufacturing
- Geometric CAMWorks
- Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Microsoft Project
- PTC Creo Parametric
- Microsoft Visio
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Excel
- Dassault Systems SOLIDWORKS
- SolidWorks Enterprise PDM
- IBM Notes