Will “Plant Engineer” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Design, integrate, or improve manufacturing systems or related processes. May work with commercial or industrial designers to refine product designs to increase producibility and decrease costs.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2199.04
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Manufacturing Engineers”.
Also Known As…
- Manufacturing Engineers
- Process Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineering Manager
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Manufacturing Director
- Facility Engineer
- Process Manufacturing Engineer
- Plant Engineer
- Methods Engineer
- Manufacturing Systems Engineer
- Manufacturing Process Engineer
- Manufacturing Applications Engineer
- Lean Manufacturing Engineer
- Foundry Process Engineer
- Engineer, Process
- Engineer, Methods
- Engineer, Foundry Process
- Continuous Improvement Manager
- Automation Engineer
- Applications Engineer, Manufacturing
Tasks for “Plant Engineer”
- Analyze the financial impacts of sustainable manufacturing processes or sustainable product manufacturing.
- Purchase equipment, materials, or parts.
- Identify opportunities or implement changes to improve products or reduce costs using knowledge of fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment, assembly methods, quality control standards, or product design, materials and parts.
- Review product designs for manufacturability or completeness.
- Supervise technicians, technologists, analysts, administrative staff, or other engineers.
- Develop sustainable manufacturing technologies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, minimize raw material use, replace toxic materials with non-toxic materials, replace non-renewable materials with renewable materials, or reduce waste.
- Communicate manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, or other information to facilitate production processes.
- Evaluate manufactured products according to specifications and quality standards.
- Prepare documentation for new manufacturing processes or engineering procedures.
- Train production personnel in new or existing methods.
- Evaluate current or proposed manufacturing processes or practices for environmental sustainability, considering factors such as greenhouse gas emissions, air pollution, water pollution, energy use, or waste creation.
- Provide technical expertise or support related to manufacturing.
- Troubleshoot new or existing product problems involving designs, materials, or processes.
- Determine root causes of failures using statistical methods and recommend changes in designs, tolerances, or processing methods.
- Redesign packaging for manufactured products to minimize raw material use or waste.
- Investigate or resolve operational problems, such as material use variances or bottlenecks.
- Incorporate new methods and processes to improve existing operations.
- Read current literature, talk with colleagues, participate in educational programs, attend meetings, attend workshops, or participate in professional organizations or conferences to keep abreast of developments in the manufacturing field.
- Prepare reports summarizing information or trends related to manufacturing performance.
- Design layout of equipment or workspaces to achieve maximum efficiency.
- Apply continuous improvement methods such as lean manufacturing to enhance manufacturing quality, reliability, or cost-effectiveness.
- Estimate costs, production times, or staffing requirements for new designs.
- Design testing methods and test finished products or process capabilities to establish standards or validate process requirements.
- Design, install, or troubleshoot manufacturing equipment.
Related Technology & Tools
- Optical compound microscopes
- Scientific calculators
- Personal digital assistants PDA
- Laptop computers
- Digital micrometers
- Digital calipers
- Desktop computers
- Programmable logic controller PLC software
- Personal computers
- Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- Geometric CAMWorks
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- SolidWorks Enterprise PDM
- Microsoft Project
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Dassault Systems SOLIDWORKS
- Web browser software
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Excel
- Siemens NX for Manufacturing
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Visio
- Product lifecycle management PLM software
- National Instruments LabVIEW
- Computer numerical control CNC software
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- PTC Creo Parametric
- Microsoft Outlook
- IBM Notes
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
- Microsoft Word
- CNC Mastercam
- Microsoft Visual Basic