Will “Plant Engineer” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Design, integrate, or improve manufacturing systems or related processes. May work with commercial or industrial designers to refine product designs to increase producibility and decrease costs.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2199.04
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Manufacturing Engineers”.
Also Known As…
- Manufacturing Engineers
- Process Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineering Manager
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Manufacturing Director
- Facility Engineer
- Process Manufacturing Engineer
- Plant Engineer
- Methods Engineer
- Manufacturing Systems Engineer
- Manufacturing Process Engineer
- Manufacturing Applications Engineer
- Lean Manufacturing Engineer
- Foundry Process Engineer
- Engineer, Process
- Engineer, Methods
- Engineer, Foundry Process
- Continuous Improvement Manager
- Automation Engineer
- Applications Engineer, Manufacturing
Tasks for “Plant Engineer”
- Investigate or resolve operational problems, such as material use variances or bottlenecks.
- Redesign packaging for manufactured products to minimize raw material use or waste.
- Provide technical expertise or support related to manufacturing.
- Review product designs for manufacturability or completeness.
- Identify opportunities or implement changes to improve products or reduce costs using knowledge of fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment, assembly methods, quality control standards, or product design, materials and parts.
- Supervise technicians, technologists, analysts, administrative staff, or other engineers.
- Analyze the financial impacts of sustainable manufacturing processes or sustainable product manufacturing.
- Evaluate manufactured products according to specifications and quality standards.
- Evaluate current or proposed manufacturing processes or practices for environmental sustainability, considering factors such as greenhouse gas emissions, air pollution, water pollution, energy use, or waste creation.
- Design, install, or troubleshoot manufacturing equipment.
- Develop sustainable manufacturing technologies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, minimize raw material use, replace toxic materials with non-toxic materials, replace non-renewable materials with renewable materials, or reduce waste.
- Incorporate new methods and processes to improve existing operations.
- Troubleshoot new or existing product problems involving designs, materials, or processes.
- Estimate costs, production times, or staffing requirements for new designs.
- Communicate manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, or other information to facilitate production processes.
- Design layout of equipment or workspaces to achieve maximum efficiency.
- Apply continuous improvement methods such as lean manufacturing to enhance manufacturing quality, reliability, or cost-effectiveness.
- Design testing methods and test finished products or process capabilities to establish standards or validate process requirements.
- Train production personnel in new or existing methods.
- Prepare documentation for new manufacturing processes or engineering procedures.
- Determine root causes of failures using statistical methods and recommend changes in designs, tolerances, or processing methods.
- Prepare reports summarizing information or trends related to manufacturing performance.
- Read current literature, talk with colleagues, participate in educational programs, attend meetings, attend workshops, or participate in professional organizations or conferences to keep abreast of developments in the manufacturing field.
- Purchase equipment, materials, or parts.
Related Technology & Tools
- Desktop computers
- Programmable logic controller PLC software
- Scientific calculators
- Personal computers
- Digital micrometers
- Laptop computers
- Optical compound microscopes
- Personal digital assistants PDA
- Digital calipers
- Siemens NX for Manufacturing
- CNC Mastercam
- Microsoft Visio
- Dassault Systems SOLIDWORKS
- Microsoft Word
- IBM Notes
- Microsoft Office
- Geometric CAMWorks
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- Microsoft Project
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
- SolidWorks Enterprise PDM
- Microsoft Access
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Computer numerical control CNC software
- PTC Creo Parametric
- Product lifecycle management PLM software
- National Instruments LabVIEW
- Microsoft Visual Basic
- Microsoft Excel
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Internet Explorer