Will “Interior Decorator, Paperhanging” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
87% Chance of Automation
“Interior Decorator, Paperhanging” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #505 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Cover interior walls or ceilings of rooms with decorative wallpaper or fabric, or attach advertising posters on surfaces such as walls and billboards. May remove old materials or prepare surfaces to be papered.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 47-2142.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 36,470.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 3,190 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Paperhangers”.
Also Known As…
- Wallpaper Installer
- Wallpaper Hanger
- Wall Covering Installer
- Wall Covering Contractor
- Vinyl Hanger
- Paper Hanger
- Bill Poster
- Bill Board Poster
- Wallcovering Hanger
- Vinyl Installer
- Paperhanger Apprentice
- Paperhanger and Painter
- Billboard Poster
- Bill Poster Installer
Tasks for “Interior Decorator, Paperhanging”
- Fill holes, cracks, and other surface imperfections preparatory to covering surfaces.
- Remove paint, varnish, dirt, and grease from surfaces, using paint remover and water soda solutions.
- Smooth rough spots on walls and ceilings, using sandpaper.
- Apply adhesives to the backs of paper strips, using brushes, or dunk strips of prepasted wallcovering in water, wiping off any excess adhesive.
- Cover interior walls and ceilings of rooms with decorative wallpaper or fabric, using hand tools.
- Check finished wallcoverings for proper alignment, pattern matching, and neatness of seams.
- Staple or tack advertising posters onto fences, walls, billboards, or poles.
- Trim rough edges from strips, using straightedges and trimming knives.
- Mark vertical guidelines on walls to align strips, using plumb bobs and chalk lines.
- Apply sizing to seal surfaces and maximize adhesion of coverings to surfaces.
- Remove old paper, using water, steam machines, or solvents and scrapers.
- Mix paste, using paste powder and water, and brush paste onto surfaces.
- Measure surfaces or review work orders to estimate the quantities of materials needed.
- Set up equipment, such as pasteboards and scaffolds.
- Trim excess material at ceilings or baseboards, using knives.
- Measure and cut strips from rolls of wallpaper or fabric, using shears or razors.
- Place strips or sections of paper on surfaces, aligning section edges and patterns.
- Smooth strips or sections of paper with brushes or rollers to remove wrinkles and bubbles and to smooth joints.
- Apply thinned glue to waterproof porous surfaces, using brushes, rollers, or pasting machines.
- Apply acetic acid to damp plaster to prevent lime from bleeding through paper.
Related Technology & Tools
- Double cutting wallpaper knives
- Border holdups
- Electric bucket heaters
- Wallpaper shears
- Straight edge trimmers
- Chalk line markers
- Plumb lines
- Personal computers
- Wallpaper pasting boards
- Step ladders
- Wallpaper removal sprayers
- Wallpaper booking tables
- Wallpaper pasting machines
- Break off knives
- Razor blade dispensers
- Wallpaper scissors
- Paste beaters
- Laptop computers
- Tablet computers
- Paste syringes
- Aluminum straightedges
- Seam rollers
- Wallpaper smoothers
- Extension ladders
- Drywall power sanders
- Length measuring counters
- Rolling scaffolds
- Wallpaper smoothing brushes
- Paste tables
- Wallpaper scrapers
- Broad knives
- Wallpaper steamers
- Laser levels
- Perforating rollers
- Measuring tapes
- Paste board clamps
- Hand trowels
- Paste brushes
- Pneumatic staplers
- Construction Software Center EasyEst
- Microsoft Excel
- On Center Quick Bid
- Turtle Creek Software Goldenseal
- A-Systems Jobview