Will “Certified Medical Coder” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
100 % Chance of Automation
“Certified Medical Coder” will definitely be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #523 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Transcribe medical reports recorded by physicians and other healthcare practitioners using various electronic devices, covering office visits, emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging studies, operations, chart reviews, and final summaries. Transcribe dictated reports and translate abbreviations into fully understandable form. Edit as necessary and return reports in either printed or electronic form for review and signature, or correction.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 31-9094.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,150.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 54,070 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Medical Transcriptionists”.
Also Known As…
- Medical Transcriptionists
- Radiology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription Supervisor
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Transcriber
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Language Specialist
- Documentation Specialist
- Clinical Medical Transcriptionist
- Transcription Specialist
- Transcription Coordinator
- Transcribing Machine Operator
- Senior Medical Transcriptionist
- Registered Medical Transcriptionist
- Radiology Transcriptionist/Radiology Clerk
- Provider Scribe
- Pathology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription-Radiology
- Medical Transcription Editor
- Medical Stenographer
- Medical Record Transcriber
- Medical Coding Technician
- Medical Administrative Specialist
- Data Transcriber
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Medical Transcriptionist
- Certified Coding Specialist
Tasks for “Certified Medical Coder”
- Transcribe dictation for a variety of medical reports, such as patient histories, physical examinations, emergency room visits, operations, chart reviews, consultation, or discharge summaries.
- Produce medical reports, correspondence, records, patient-care information, statistics, medical research, and administrative material.
- Review and edit transcribed reports or dictated material for spelling, grammar, clarity, consistency, and proper medical terminology.
- Answer inquiries concerning the progress of medical cases, within the limits of confidentiality laws.
- Return dictated reports in printed or electronic form for physician's review, signature, and corrections and for inclusion in patients' medical records.
- Take dictation using shorthand, a stenotype machine, or headsets and transcribing machines.
- Receive and screen telephone calls and visitors.
- Translate medical jargon and abbreviations into their expanded forms to ensure the accuracy of patient and health care facility records.
- Identify mistakes in reports and check with doctors to obtain the correct information.
- Distinguish between homonyms and recognize inconsistencies and mistakes in medical terms, referring to dictionaries, drug references, and other sources on anatomy, physiology, and medicine.
- Perform a variety of clerical and office tasks, such as handling incoming and outgoing mail, completing and submitting insurance claims, typing, filing, and operating office machines.
- Set up and maintain medical files and databases, including records such as x-ray, lab, and procedure reports, medical histories, diagnostic workups, admission and discharge summaries, and clinical resumes.
- Perform data entry and data retrieval services, providing data for inclusion in medical records and for transmission to physicians.
- Decide which information should be included or excluded in reports.
- Receive patients, schedule appointments, and maintain patient records.
Related Technology & Tools
- Desktop computers
- Transcribing equipment
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Notebook computers
- Desktop transcribers
- Laser printers
- Postage meters
- Laser facsimile machines
- Personal computers
- Allscripts Misys Healthcare Systems
- dBASE Plus
- Integrated Systems Management OmniMD
- Word processing software
- Email software
- Web browser software
- Precision Data Solutions VoicePower
- Voice recognition software
- Microsoft Outlook
- Electronic medical record EMR systems
- Calendar software
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Patient billing software
- Sylvan Software Complete Medical Pharmaceutical Spell Checker
- Microsoft Excel
- Crescendo Systems Corporation MedRite-XL
- FileMaker Pro
- g-net solutions MTP
- Medical terminology databases
- Spellex AccuCount
- Narratek Smartype
- SpectraMedi EasyFlow
- Boston Bar Systems Corporation Sonnet
- Data entry software
- Spreadsheet software
- Sylvan Software DropChute Pro
- Microsoft Windows
- MedQuist DocQment Enterprise Platform
- Microsoft Word
- Bytescribe Development Company WavPlayer
- Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking Medical
- SpeedUp Trans
- Database software
- PCC EHR
- Corel WordPerfect
- Crescendo Systems DigiScribe-XL
- Sylvan Software ShortCut
- Emmaus MPWord