Will “Certified Medical Coder” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
100 % Chance of Automation
“Certified Medical Coder” will definitely be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #523 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Transcribe medical reports recorded by physicians and other healthcare practitioners using various electronic devices, covering office visits, emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging studies, operations, chart reviews, and final summaries. Transcribe dictated reports and translate abbreviations into fully understandable form. Edit as necessary and return reports in either printed or electronic form for review and signature, or correction.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 31-9094.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,150.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 54,070 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Medical Transcriptionists”.
Also Known As…
- Medical Transcriptionists
- Radiology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription Supervisor
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Transcriber
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Language Specialist
- Documentation Specialist
- Clinical Medical Transcriptionist
- Transcription Specialist
- Transcription Coordinator
- Transcribing Machine Operator
- Senior Medical Transcriptionist
- Registered Medical Transcriptionist
- Radiology Transcriptionist/Radiology Clerk
- Provider Scribe
- Pathology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription-Radiology
- Medical Transcription Editor
- Medical Stenographer
- Medical Record Transcriber
- Medical Coding Technician
- Medical Administrative Specialist
- Data Transcriber
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Medical Transcriptionist
- Certified Coding Specialist
Tasks for “Certified Medical Coder”
- Decide which information should be included or excluded in reports.
- Return dictated reports in printed or electronic form for physician's review, signature, and corrections and for inclusion in patients' medical records.
- Produce medical reports, correspondence, records, patient-care information, statistics, medical research, and administrative material.
- Receive patients, schedule appointments, and maintain patient records.
- Distinguish between homonyms and recognize inconsistencies and mistakes in medical terms, referring to dictionaries, drug references, and other sources on anatomy, physiology, and medicine.
- Review and edit transcribed reports or dictated material for spelling, grammar, clarity, consistency, and proper medical terminology.
- Transcribe dictation for a variety of medical reports, such as patient histories, physical examinations, emergency room visits, operations, chart reviews, consultation, or discharge summaries.
- Translate medical jargon and abbreviations into their expanded forms to ensure the accuracy of patient and health care facility records.
- Answer inquiries concerning the progress of medical cases, within the limits of confidentiality laws.
- Identify mistakes in reports and check with doctors to obtain the correct information.
- Perform a variety of clerical and office tasks, such as handling incoming and outgoing mail, completing and submitting insurance claims, typing, filing, and operating office machines.
- Perform data entry and data retrieval services, providing data for inclusion in medical records and for transmission to physicians.
- Set up and maintain medical files and databases, including records such as x-ray, lab, and procedure reports, medical histories, diagnostic workups, admission and discharge summaries, and clinical resumes.
- Take dictation using shorthand, a stenotype machine, or headsets and transcribing machines.
- Receive and screen telephone calls and visitors.
Related Technology & Tools
- Desktop transcribers
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Postage meters
- Laser printers
- Transcribing equipment
- Notebook computers
- Personal computers
- Desktop computers
- Laser facsimile machines
- Patient billing software
- Crescendo Systems DigiScribe-XL
- Boston Bar Systems Corporation Sonnet
- Data entry software
- Spreadsheet software
- g-net solutions MTP
- PCC EHR
- Voice recognition software
- SpectraMedi EasyFlow
- Email software
- SpeedUp Trans
- Allscripts Misys Healthcare Systems
- Web browser software
- Emmaus MPWord
- Microsoft Windows
- MedQuist DocQment Enterprise Platform
- dBASE Plus
- Narratek Smartype
- FileMaker Pro
- Spellex AccuCount
- Sylvan Software DropChute Pro
- Precision Data Solutions VoicePower
- Microsoft Excel
- Integrated Systems Management OmniMD
- Crescendo Systems Corporation MedRite-XL
- Electronic medical record EMR systems
- Bytescribe Development Company WavPlayer
- Database software
- Microsoft Outlook
- Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking Medical
- Word processing software
- Medical terminology databases
- Corel WordPerfect
- Sylvan Software Complete Medical Pharmaceutical Spell Checker
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Calendar software
- Sylvan Software ShortCut
- Microsoft Word