Will “Medical Secretary” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
100 % Chance of Automation
“Medical Secretary” will definitely be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #523 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Transcribe medical reports recorded by physicians and other healthcare practitioners using various electronic devices, covering office visits, emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging studies, operations, chart reviews, and final summaries. Transcribe dictated reports and translate abbreviations into fully understandable form. Edit as necessary and return reports in either printed or electronic form for review and signature, or correction.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 31-9094.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,150.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 54,070 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Medical Transcriptionists”.
Also Known As…
- Medical Transcriptionists
- Radiology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription Supervisor
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Transcriber
- Medical Language Specialist
- Documentation Specialist
- Clinical Medical Transcriptionist
- Transcription Specialist
- Transcription Coordinator
- Transcribing Machine Operator
- Senior Medical Transcriptionist
- Registered Medical Transcriptionist
- Radiology Transcriptionist/Radiology Clerk
- Provider Scribe
- Pathology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription-Radiology
- Medical Transcription Editor
- Medical Stenographer
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Record Transcriber
- Medical Coding Technician
- Medical Administrative Specialist
- Data Transcriber
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Medical Transcriptionist
- Certified Medical Coder
- Certified Coding Specialist
Tasks for “Medical Secretary”
- Return dictated reports in printed or electronic form for physician's review, signature, and corrections and for inclusion in patients' medical records.
- Perform data entry and data retrieval services, providing data for inclusion in medical records and for transmission to physicians.
- Take dictation using shorthand, a stenotype machine, or headsets and transcribing machines.
- Answer inquiries concerning the progress of medical cases, within the limits of confidentiality laws.
- Set up and maintain medical files and databases, including records such as x-ray, lab, and procedure reports, medical histories, diagnostic workups, admission and discharge summaries, and clinical resumes.
- Translate medical jargon and abbreviations into their expanded forms to ensure the accuracy of patient and health care facility records.
- Produce medical reports, correspondence, records, patient-care information, statistics, medical research, and administrative material.
- Transcribe dictation for a variety of medical reports, such as patient histories, physical examinations, emergency room visits, operations, chart reviews, consultation, or discharge summaries.
- Identify mistakes in reports and check with doctors to obtain the correct information.
- Review and edit transcribed reports or dictated material for spelling, grammar, clarity, consistency, and proper medical terminology.
- Receive patients, schedule appointments, and maintain patient records.
- Distinguish between homonyms and recognize inconsistencies and mistakes in medical terms, referring to dictionaries, drug references, and other sources on anatomy, physiology, and medicine.
- Decide which information should be included or excluded in reports.
- Receive and screen telephone calls and visitors.
- Perform a variety of clerical and office tasks, such as handling incoming and outgoing mail, completing and submitting insurance claims, typing, filing, and operating office machines.
Related Technology & Tools
- Desktop computers
- Transcribing equipment
- Laser printers
- Laser facsimile machines
- Notebook computers
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Postage meters
- Desktop transcribers
- Personal computers
- Medical terminology databases
- MedQuist DocQment Enterprise Platform
- Narratek Smartype
- Boston Bar Systems Corporation Sonnet
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Integrated Systems Management OmniMD
- FileMaker Pro
- dBASE Plus
- Spreadsheet software
- Calendar software
- Corel WordPerfect
- Electronic medical record EMR systems
- Web browser software
- Sylvan Software Complete Medical Pharmaceutical Spell Checker
- PCC EHR
- Microsoft Excel
- Crescendo Systems Corporation MedRite-XL
- Word processing software
- g-net solutions MTP
- Database software
- Bytescribe Development Company WavPlayer
- SpeedUp Trans
- Crescendo Systems DigiScribe-XL
- SpectraMedi EasyFlow
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Windows
- Microsoft Word
- Sylvan Software ShortCut
- Spellex AccuCount
- Voice recognition software
- Sylvan Software DropChute Pro
- Email software
- Allscripts Misys Healthcare Systems
- Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking Medical
- Patient billing software
- Precision Data Solutions VoicePower
- Data entry software
- Emmaus MPWord