Will “Medical Transcriptionist” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
100 % Chance of Automation
“Medical Transcriptionist” will definitely be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #523 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Transcribe medical reports recorded by physicians and other healthcare practitioners using various electronic devices, covering office visits, emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging studies, operations, chart reviews, and final summaries. Transcribe dictated reports and translate abbreviations into fully understandable form. Edit as necessary and return reports in either printed or electronic form for review and signature, or correction.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 31-9094.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,150.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 54,070 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Medical Transcriptionists”.
Also Known As…
- Medical Transcriptionists
- Radiology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription Supervisor
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Transcriber
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Language Specialist
- Documentation Specialist
- Clinical Medical Transcriptionist
- Transcription Specialist
- Transcription Coordinator
- Transcribing Machine Operator
- Senior Medical Transcriptionist
- Registered Medical Transcriptionist
- Radiology Transcriptionist/Radiology Clerk
- Provider Scribe
- Pathology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription-Radiology
- Medical Transcription Editor
- Medical Stenographer
- Medical Record Transcriber
- Medical Coding Technician
- Medical Administrative Specialist
- Data Transcriber
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Medical Transcriptionist
- Certified Medical Coder
- Certified Coding Specialist
Tasks for “Medical Transcriptionist”
- Answer inquiries concerning the progress of medical cases, within the limits of confidentiality laws.
- Translate medical jargon and abbreviations into their expanded forms to ensure the accuracy of patient and health care facility records.
- Perform data entry and data retrieval services, providing data for inclusion in medical records and for transmission to physicians.
- Review and edit transcribed reports or dictated material for spelling, grammar, clarity, consistency, and proper medical terminology.
- Produce medical reports, correspondence, records, patient-care information, statistics, medical research, and administrative material.
- Identify mistakes in reports and check with doctors to obtain the correct information.
- Distinguish between homonyms and recognize inconsistencies and mistakes in medical terms, referring to dictionaries, drug references, and other sources on anatomy, physiology, and medicine.
- Transcribe dictation for a variety of medical reports, such as patient histories, physical examinations, emergency room visits, operations, chart reviews, consultation, or discharge summaries.
- Take dictation using shorthand, a stenotype machine, or headsets and transcribing machines.
- Set up and maintain medical files and databases, including records such as x-ray, lab, and procedure reports, medical histories, diagnostic workups, admission and discharge summaries, and clinical resumes.
- Receive and screen telephone calls and visitors.
- Return dictated reports in printed or electronic form for physician's review, signature, and corrections and for inclusion in patients' medical records.
- Decide which information should be included or excluded in reports.
- Receive patients, schedule appointments, and maintain patient records.
- Perform a variety of clerical and office tasks, such as handling incoming and outgoing mail, completing and submitting insurance claims, typing, filing, and operating office machines.
Related Technology & Tools
- Personal computers
- Laser facsimile machines
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Desktop computers
- Desktop transcribers
- Transcribing equipment
- Postage meters
- Laser printers
- Notebook computers
- SpeedUp Trans
- Emmaus MPWord
- Word processing software
- Data entry software
- Sylvan Software ShortCut
- Microsoft Windows
- Email software
- SpectraMedi EasyFlow
- Crescendo Systems Corporation MedRite-XL
- Microsoft Word
- Database software
- Bytescribe Development Company WavPlayer
- g-net solutions MTP
- Calendar software
- PCC EHR
- Sylvan Software Complete Medical Pharmaceutical Spell Checker
- Electronic medical record EMR systems
- Boston Bar Systems Corporation Sonnet
- Crescendo Systems DigiScribe-XL
- FileMaker Pro
- Web browser software
- Allscripts Misys Healthcare Systems
- Voice recognition software
- dBASE Plus
- Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking Medical
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- MedQuist DocQment Enterprise Platform
- Sylvan Software DropChute Pro
- Patient billing software
- Spreadsheet software
- Microsoft Excel
- Precision Data Solutions VoicePower
- Spellex AccuCount
- Integrated Systems Management OmniMD
- Corel WordPerfect
- Narratek Smartype
- Microsoft Outlook
- Medical terminology databases