Will “Medical Transcriptionist” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
100 % Chance of Automation
“Medical Transcriptionist” will definitely be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #523 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Transcribe medical reports recorded by physicians and other healthcare practitioners using various electronic devices, covering office visits, emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging studies, operations, chart reviews, and final summaries. Transcribe dictated reports and translate abbreviations into fully understandable form. Edit as necessary and return reports in either printed or electronic form for review and signature, or correction.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 31-9094.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,150.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 54,070 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Medical Transcriptionists”.
Also Known As…
- Medical Transcriptionists
- Radiology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription Supervisor
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Transcriber
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Language Specialist
- Documentation Specialist
- Clinical Medical Transcriptionist
- Transcription Specialist
- Transcription Coordinator
- Transcribing Machine Operator
- Senior Medical Transcriptionist
- Registered Medical Transcriptionist
- Radiology Transcriptionist/Radiology Clerk
- Provider Scribe
- Pathology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription-Radiology
- Medical Transcription Editor
- Medical Stenographer
- Medical Record Transcriber
- Medical Coding Technician
- Medical Administrative Specialist
- Data Transcriber
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Medical Transcriptionist
- Certified Medical Coder
- Certified Coding Specialist
Tasks for “Medical Transcriptionist”
- Perform a variety of clerical and office tasks, such as handling incoming and outgoing mail, completing and submitting insurance claims, typing, filing, and operating office machines.
- Answer inquiries concerning the progress of medical cases, within the limits of confidentiality laws.
- Perform data entry and data retrieval services, providing data for inclusion in medical records and for transmission to physicians.
- Identify mistakes in reports and check with doctors to obtain the correct information.
- Produce medical reports, correspondence, records, patient-care information, statistics, medical research, and administrative material.
- Decide which information should be included or excluded in reports.
- Return dictated reports in printed or electronic form for physician's review, signature, and corrections and for inclusion in patients' medical records.
- Translate medical jargon and abbreviations into their expanded forms to ensure the accuracy of patient and health care facility records.
- Transcribe dictation for a variety of medical reports, such as patient histories, physical examinations, emergency room visits, operations, chart reviews, consultation, or discharge summaries.
- Receive and screen telephone calls and visitors.
- Take dictation using shorthand, a stenotype machine, or headsets and transcribing machines.
- Set up and maintain medical files and databases, including records such as x-ray, lab, and procedure reports, medical histories, diagnostic workups, admission and discharge summaries, and clinical resumes.
- Distinguish between homonyms and recognize inconsistencies and mistakes in medical terms, referring to dictionaries, drug references, and other sources on anatomy, physiology, and medicine.
- Review and edit transcribed reports or dictated material for spelling, grammar, clarity, consistency, and proper medical terminology.
- Receive patients, schedule appointments, and maintain patient records.
Related Technology & Tools
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Desktop transcribers
- Laser printers
- Notebook computers
- Postage meters
- Laser facsimile machines
- Desktop computers
- Transcribing equipment
- Personal computers
- Crescendo Systems Corporation MedRite-XL
- SpeedUp Trans
- Bytescribe Development Company WavPlayer
- Data entry software
- Microsoft Excel
- Electronic medical record EMR systems
- Microsoft Windows
- Narratek Smartype
- Integrated Systems Management OmniMD
- Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking Medical
- Email software
- Microsoft Outlook
- Spellex AccuCount
- Sylvan Software Complete Medical Pharmaceutical Spell Checker
- Spreadsheet software
- Crescendo Systems DigiScribe-XL
- Patient billing software
- Calendar software
- Boston Bar Systems Corporation Sonnet
- Word processing software
- SpectraMedi EasyFlow
- FileMaker Pro
- Emmaus MPWord
- dBASE Plus
- Microsoft Word
- Voice recognition software
- Sylvan Software DropChute Pro
- Sylvan Software ShortCut
- Allscripts Misys Healthcare Systems
- Precision Data Solutions VoicePower
- Web browser software
- PCC EHR
- MedQuist DocQment Enterprise Platform
- Corel WordPerfect
- Database software
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Medical terminology databases
- g-net solutions MTP