Will “Medical Transcriber” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
100 % Chance of Automation
“Medical Transcriber” will definitely be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #523 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Transcribe medical reports recorded by physicians and other healthcare practitioners using various electronic devices, covering office visits, emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging studies, operations, chart reviews, and final summaries. Transcribe dictated reports and translate abbreviations into fully understandable form. Edit as necessary and return reports in either printed or electronic form for review and signature, or correction.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 31-9094.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,150.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 54,070 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Medical Transcriptionists”.
Also Known As…
- Medical Transcriptionists
- Radiology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription Supervisor
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Language Specialist
- Documentation Specialist
- Clinical Medical Transcriptionist
- Transcription Specialist
- Transcription Coordinator
- Transcribing Machine Operator
- Senior Medical Transcriptionist
- Registered Medical Transcriptionist
- Radiology Transcriptionist/Radiology Clerk
- Provider Scribe
- Pathology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription-Radiology
- Medical Transcription Editor
- Medical Transcriber
- Medical Stenographer
- Medical Record Transcriber
- Medical Coding Technician
- Medical Administrative Specialist
- Data Transcriber
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Medical Transcriptionist
- Certified Medical Coder
- Certified Coding Specialist
Tasks for “Medical Transcriber”
- Perform a variety of clerical and office tasks, such as handling incoming and outgoing mail, completing and submitting insurance claims, typing, filing, and operating office machines.
- Identify mistakes in reports and check with doctors to obtain the correct information.
- Answer inquiries concerning the progress of medical cases, within the limits of confidentiality laws.
- Take dictation using shorthand, a stenotype machine, or headsets and transcribing machines.
- Review and edit transcribed reports or dictated material for spelling, grammar, clarity, consistency, and proper medical terminology.
- Receive patients, schedule appointments, and maintain patient records.
- Translate medical jargon and abbreviations into their expanded forms to ensure the accuracy of patient and health care facility records.
- Distinguish between homonyms and recognize inconsistencies and mistakes in medical terms, referring to dictionaries, drug references, and other sources on anatomy, physiology, and medicine.
- Set up and maintain medical files and databases, including records such as x-ray, lab, and procedure reports, medical histories, diagnostic workups, admission and discharge summaries, and clinical resumes.
- Receive and screen telephone calls and visitors.
- Return dictated reports in printed or electronic form for physician's review, signature, and corrections and for inclusion in patients' medical records.
- Produce medical reports, correspondence, records, patient-care information, statistics, medical research, and administrative material.
- Decide which information should be included or excluded in reports.
- Transcribe dictation for a variety of medical reports, such as patient histories, physical examinations, emergency room visits, operations, chart reviews, consultation, or discharge summaries.
- Perform data entry and data retrieval services, providing data for inclusion in medical records and for transmission to physicians.
Related Technology & Tools
- Notebook computers
- Laser printers
- Desktop transcribers
- Desktop computers
- Personal computers
- Transcribing equipment
- Laser facsimile machines
- Postage meters
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Electronic medical record EMR systems
- Precision Data Solutions VoicePower
- Emmaus MPWord
- Patient billing software
- dBASE Plus
- Database software
- PCC EHR
- Allscripts Misys Healthcare Systems
- Microsoft Word
- Medical terminology databases
- Calendar software
- FileMaker Pro
- Crescendo Systems Corporation MedRite-XL
- Sylvan Software Complete Medical Pharmaceutical Spell Checker
- Spellex AccuCount
- SpeedUp Trans
- Corel WordPerfect
- Microsoft Outlook
- Crescendo Systems DigiScribe-XL
- Microsoft Excel
- Spreadsheet software
- Narratek Smartype
- Integrated Systems Management OmniMD
- Bytescribe Development Company WavPlayer
- SpectraMedi EasyFlow
- Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking Medical
- Voice recognition software
- Web browser software
- g-net solutions MTP
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Word processing software
- Data entry software
- Boston Bar Systems Corporation Sonnet
- Email software
- Sylvan Software ShortCut
- MedQuist DocQment Enterprise Platform
- Microsoft Windows
- Sylvan Software DropChute Pro