Will “Medical Transcriber” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
100 % Chance of Automation
“Medical Transcriber” will definitely be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #523 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Transcribe medical reports recorded by physicians and other healthcare practitioners using various electronic devices, covering office visits, emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging studies, operations, chart reviews, and final summaries. Transcribe dictated reports and translate abbreviations into fully understandable form. Edit as necessary and return reports in either printed or electronic form for review and signature, or correction.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 31-9094.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,150.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 54,070 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Medical Transcriptionists”.
Also Known As…
- Medical Transcriptionists
- Radiology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription Supervisor
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Language Specialist
- Documentation Specialist
- Clinical Medical Transcriptionist
- Transcription Specialist
- Transcription Coordinator
- Transcribing Machine Operator
- Senior Medical Transcriptionist
- Registered Medical Transcriptionist
- Radiology Transcriptionist/Radiology Clerk
- Provider Scribe
- Pathology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription-Radiology
- Medical Transcription Editor
- Medical Transcriber
- Medical Stenographer
- Medical Record Transcriber
- Medical Coding Technician
- Medical Administrative Specialist
- Data Transcriber
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Medical Transcriptionist
- Certified Medical Coder
- Certified Coding Specialist
Tasks for “Medical Transcriber”
- Receive and screen telephone calls and visitors.
- Answer inquiries concerning the progress of medical cases, within the limits of confidentiality laws.
- Distinguish between homonyms and recognize inconsistencies and mistakes in medical terms, referring to dictionaries, drug references, and other sources on anatomy, physiology, and medicine.
- Produce medical reports, correspondence, records, patient-care information, statistics, medical research, and administrative material.
- Receive patients, schedule appointments, and maintain patient records.
- Decide which information should be included or excluded in reports.
- Return dictated reports in printed or electronic form for physician's review, signature, and corrections and for inclusion in patients' medical records.
- Take dictation using shorthand, a stenotype machine, or headsets and transcribing machines.
- Transcribe dictation for a variety of medical reports, such as patient histories, physical examinations, emergency room visits, operations, chart reviews, consultation, or discharge summaries.
- Perform a variety of clerical and office tasks, such as handling incoming and outgoing mail, completing and submitting insurance claims, typing, filing, and operating office machines.
- Identify mistakes in reports and check with doctors to obtain the correct information.
- Translate medical jargon and abbreviations into their expanded forms to ensure the accuracy of patient and health care facility records.
- Perform data entry and data retrieval services, providing data for inclusion in medical records and for transmission to physicians.
- Set up and maintain medical files and databases, including records such as x-ray, lab, and procedure reports, medical histories, diagnostic workups, admission and discharge summaries, and clinical resumes.
- Review and edit transcribed reports or dictated material for spelling, grammar, clarity, consistency, and proper medical terminology.
Related Technology & Tools
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Laser facsimile machines
- Notebook computers
- Postage meters
- Desktop computers
- Transcribing equipment
- Desktop transcribers
- Laser printers
- Personal computers
- SpeedUp Trans
- Medical terminology databases
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Word
- Corel WordPerfect
- Calendar software
- Integrated Systems Management OmniMD
- SpectraMedi EasyFlow
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Outlook
- Spreadsheet software
- Boston Bar Systems Corporation Sonnet
- Precision Data Solutions VoicePower
- Narratek Smartype
- Bytescribe Development Company WavPlayer
- Emmaus MPWord
- Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking Medical
- Email software
- PCC EHR
- Allscripts Misys Healthcare Systems
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Sylvan Software DropChute Pro
- Sylvan Software Complete Medical Pharmaceutical Spell Checker
- Voice recognition software
- Crescendo Systems DigiScribe-XL
- MedQuist DocQment Enterprise Platform
- Spellex AccuCount
- FileMaker Pro
- Microsoft Windows
- g-net solutions MTP
- Word processing software
- Crescendo Systems Corporation MedRite-XL
- dBASE Plus
- Patient billing software
- Sylvan Software ShortCut
- Data entry software
- Database software
- Electronic medical record EMR systems