Will “Medical Transcription” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
100 % Chance of Automation
“Medical Transcription” will definitely be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #523 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Transcribe medical reports recorded by physicians and other healthcare practitioners using various electronic devices, covering office visits, emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging studies, operations, chart reviews, and final summaries. Transcribe dictated reports and translate abbreviations into fully understandable form. Edit as necessary and return reports in either printed or electronic form for review and signature, or correction.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 31-9094.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,150.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 54,070 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Medical Transcriptionists”.
Also Known As…
- Medical Transcriptionists
- Radiology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription Supervisor
- Medical Transcriber
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Language Specialist
- Documentation Specialist
- Clinical Medical Transcriptionist
- Transcription Specialist
- Transcription Coordinator
- Transcribing Machine Operator
- Senior Medical Transcriptionist
- Registered Medical Transcriptionist
- Radiology Transcriptionist/Radiology Clerk
- Provider Scribe
- Pathology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription-Radiology
- Medical Transcription Editor
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Stenographer
- Medical Record Transcriber
- Medical Coding Technician
- Medical Administrative Specialist
- Data Transcriber
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Medical Transcriptionist
- Certified Medical Coder
- Certified Coding Specialist
Tasks for “Medical Transcription”
- Decide which information should be included or excluded in reports.
- Receive and screen telephone calls and visitors.
- Produce medical reports, correspondence, records, patient-care information, statistics, medical research, and administrative material.
- Identify mistakes in reports and check with doctors to obtain the correct information.
- Answer inquiries concerning the progress of medical cases, within the limits of confidentiality laws.
- Perform a variety of clerical and office tasks, such as handling incoming and outgoing mail, completing and submitting insurance claims, typing, filing, and operating office machines.
- Perform data entry and data retrieval services, providing data for inclusion in medical records and for transmission to physicians.
- Set up and maintain medical files and databases, including records such as x-ray, lab, and procedure reports, medical histories, diagnostic workups, admission and discharge summaries, and clinical resumes.
- Distinguish between homonyms and recognize inconsistencies and mistakes in medical terms, referring to dictionaries, drug references, and other sources on anatomy, physiology, and medicine.
- Translate medical jargon and abbreviations into their expanded forms to ensure the accuracy of patient and health care facility records.
- Take dictation using shorthand, a stenotype machine, or headsets and transcribing machines.
- Transcribe dictation for a variety of medical reports, such as patient histories, physical examinations, emergency room visits, operations, chart reviews, consultation, or discharge summaries.
- Review and edit transcribed reports or dictated material for spelling, grammar, clarity, consistency, and proper medical terminology.
- Receive patients, schedule appointments, and maintain patient records.
- Return dictated reports in printed or electronic form for physician's review, signature, and corrections and for inclusion in patients' medical records.
Related Technology & Tools
- Laser printers
- Postage meters
- Desktop transcribers
- Desktop computers
- Personal computers
- Notebook computers
- Transcribing equipment
- Laser facsimile machines
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Microsoft Windows
- Patient billing software
- Sylvan Software ShortCut
- Boston Bar Systems Corporation Sonnet
- Spellex AccuCount
- Voice recognition software
- Spreadsheet software
- Precision Data Solutions VoicePower
- Corel WordPerfect
- g-net solutions MTP
- Integrated Systems Management OmniMD
- Crescendo Systems DigiScribe-XL
- Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking Medical
- SpeedUp Trans
- Microsoft Outlook
- Crescendo Systems Corporation MedRite-XL
- Bytescribe Development Company WavPlayer
- Electronic medical record EMR systems
- Email software
- Database software
- SpectraMedi EasyFlow
- Emmaus MPWord
- PCC EHR
- Data entry software
- Microsoft Word
- Sylvan Software DropChute Pro
- Narratek Smartype
- Calendar software
- dBASE Plus
- Medical terminology databases
- Word processing software
- MedQuist DocQment Enterprise Platform
- Microsoft Excel
- Allscripts Misys Healthcare Systems
- FileMaker Pro
- Web browser software
- Sylvan Software Complete Medical Pharmaceutical Spell Checker
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS