Will “Transcription Specialist” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
100 % Chance of Automation
“Transcription Specialist” will definitely be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #523 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Transcribe medical reports recorded by physicians and other healthcare practitioners using various electronic devices, covering office visits, emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging studies, operations, chart reviews, and final summaries. Transcribe dictated reports and translate abbreviations into fully understandable form. Edit as necessary and return reports in either printed or electronic form for review and signature, or correction.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 31-9094.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,150.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 54,070 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Medical Transcriptionists”.
Also Known As…
- Medical Transcriptionists
- Radiology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription Supervisor
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Transcriber
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Language Specialist
- Documentation Specialist
- Clinical Medical Transcriptionist
- Transcription Coordinator
- Transcribing Machine Operator
- Senior Medical Transcriptionist
- Registered Medical Transcriptionist
- Radiology Transcriptionist/Radiology Clerk
- Provider Scribe
- Pathology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription-Radiology
- Medical Transcription Editor
- Medical Stenographer
- Medical Record Transcriber
- Medical Coding Technician
- Medical Administrative Specialist
- Data Transcriber
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Medical Transcriptionist
- Certified Medical Coder
- Certified Coding Specialist
Tasks for “Transcription Specialist”
- Set up and maintain medical files and databases, including records such as x-ray, lab, and procedure reports, medical histories, diagnostic workups, admission and discharge summaries, and clinical resumes.
- Receive and screen telephone calls and visitors.
- Perform data entry and data retrieval services, providing data for inclusion in medical records and for transmission to physicians.
- Decide which information should be included or excluded in reports.
- Review and edit transcribed reports or dictated material for spelling, grammar, clarity, consistency, and proper medical terminology.
- Translate medical jargon and abbreviations into their expanded forms to ensure the accuracy of patient and health care facility records.
- Identify mistakes in reports and check with doctors to obtain the correct information.
- Transcribe dictation for a variety of medical reports, such as patient histories, physical examinations, emergency room visits, operations, chart reviews, consultation, or discharge summaries.
- Receive patients, schedule appointments, and maintain patient records.
- Return dictated reports in printed or electronic form for physician's review, signature, and corrections and for inclusion in patients' medical records.
- Perform a variety of clerical and office tasks, such as handling incoming and outgoing mail, completing and submitting insurance claims, typing, filing, and operating office machines.
- Take dictation using shorthand, a stenotype machine, or headsets and transcribing machines.
- Produce medical reports, correspondence, records, patient-care information, statistics, medical research, and administrative material.
- Distinguish between homonyms and recognize inconsistencies and mistakes in medical terms, referring to dictionaries, drug references, and other sources on anatomy, physiology, and medicine.
- Answer inquiries concerning the progress of medical cases, within the limits of confidentiality laws.
Related Technology & Tools
- Personal computers
- Laser facsimile machines
- Desktop computers
- Transcribing equipment
- Notebook computers
- Laser printers
- Postage meters
- Desktop transcribers
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Microsoft Excel
- Electronic medical record EMR systems
- dBASE Plus
- PCC EHR
- Database software
- Medical terminology databases
- Word processing software
- Data entry software
- SpeedUp Trans
- Microsoft Outlook
- Corel WordPerfect
- Boston Bar Systems Corporation Sonnet
- g-net solutions MTP
- Spellex AccuCount
- Narratek Smartype
- Crescendo Systems DigiScribe-XL
- Sylvan Software Complete Medical Pharmaceutical Spell Checker
- Web browser software
- Spreadsheet software
- Allscripts Misys Healthcare Systems
- Integrated Systems Management OmniMD
- Calendar software
- Precision Data Solutions VoicePower
- Microsoft Word
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Bytescribe Development Company WavPlayer
- Sylvan Software DropChute Pro
- Email software
- Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking Medical
- Sylvan Software ShortCut
- Crescendo Systems Corporation MedRite-XL
- Voice recognition software
- SpectraMedi EasyFlow
- Microsoft Windows
- Emmaus MPWord
- Patient billing software
- FileMaker Pro
- MedQuist DocQment Enterprise Platform