Will “Transcription Specialist” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
100 % Chance of Automation
“Transcription Specialist” will definitely be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #523 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Transcribe medical reports recorded by physicians and other healthcare practitioners using various electronic devices, covering office visits, emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging studies, operations, chart reviews, and final summaries. Transcribe dictated reports and translate abbreviations into fully understandable form. Edit as necessary and return reports in either printed or electronic form for review and signature, or correction.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 31-9094.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,150.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 54,070 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Medical Transcriptionists”.
Also Known As…
- Medical Transcriptionists
- Radiology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription Supervisor
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Transcriber
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Language Specialist
- Documentation Specialist
- Clinical Medical Transcriptionist
- Transcription Coordinator
- Transcribing Machine Operator
- Senior Medical Transcriptionist
- Registered Medical Transcriptionist
- Radiology Transcriptionist/Radiology Clerk
- Provider Scribe
- Pathology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription-Radiology
- Medical Transcription Editor
- Medical Stenographer
- Medical Record Transcriber
- Medical Coding Technician
- Medical Administrative Specialist
- Data Transcriber
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Medical Transcriptionist
- Certified Medical Coder
- Certified Coding Specialist
Tasks for “Transcription Specialist”
- Review and edit transcribed reports or dictated material for spelling, grammar, clarity, consistency, and proper medical terminology.
- Produce medical reports, correspondence, records, patient-care information, statistics, medical research, and administrative material.
- Distinguish between homonyms and recognize inconsistencies and mistakes in medical terms, referring to dictionaries, drug references, and other sources on anatomy, physiology, and medicine.
- Perform data entry and data retrieval services, providing data for inclusion in medical records and for transmission to physicians.
- Identify mistakes in reports and check with doctors to obtain the correct information.
- Decide which information should be included or excluded in reports.
- Translate medical jargon and abbreviations into their expanded forms to ensure the accuracy of patient and health care facility records.
- Answer inquiries concerning the progress of medical cases, within the limits of confidentiality laws.
- Perform a variety of clerical and office tasks, such as handling incoming and outgoing mail, completing and submitting insurance claims, typing, filing, and operating office machines.
- Take dictation using shorthand, a stenotype machine, or headsets and transcribing machines.
- Set up and maintain medical files and databases, including records such as x-ray, lab, and procedure reports, medical histories, diagnostic workups, admission and discharge summaries, and clinical resumes.
- Transcribe dictation for a variety of medical reports, such as patient histories, physical examinations, emergency room visits, operations, chart reviews, consultation, or discharge summaries.
- Return dictated reports in printed or electronic form for physician's review, signature, and corrections and for inclusion in patients' medical records.
- Receive patients, schedule appointments, and maintain patient records.
- Receive and screen telephone calls and visitors.
Related Technology & Tools
- Laser printers
- Transcribing equipment
- Notebook computers
- Laser facsimile machines
- Personal computers
- Postage meters
- Desktop computers
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Desktop transcribers
- Emmaus MPWord
- SpeedUp Trans
- Sylvan Software Complete Medical Pharmaceutical Spell Checker
- Boston Bar Systems Corporation Sonnet
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Sylvan Software ShortCut
- Microsoft Outlook
- Patient billing software
- Corel WordPerfect
- Spreadsheet software
- Bytescribe Development Company WavPlayer
- MedQuist DocQment Enterprise Platform
- Integrated Systems Management OmniMD
- Web browser software
- g-net solutions MTP
- Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software
- Precision Data Solutions VoicePower
- Crescendo Systems DigiScribe-XL
- PCC EHR
- Crescendo Systems Corporation MedRite-XL
- Voice recognition software
- Medical terminology databases
- Microsoft Windows
- Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking Medical
- Data entry software
- dBASE Plus
- Sylvan Software DropChute Pro
- Spellex AccuCount
- Electronic medical record EMR systems
- Calendar software
- Microsoft Word
- Narratek Smartype
- Database software
- Email software
- FileMaker Pro
- SpectraMedi EasyFlow
- Allscripts Misys Healthcare Systems