Will “Transcription Specialist” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
100 % Chance of Automation
“Transcription Specialist” will definitely be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #523 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Transcribe medical reports recorded by physicians and other healthcare practitioners using various electronic devices, covering office visits, emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging studies, operations, chart reviews, and final summaries. Transcribe dictated reports and translate abbreviations into fully understandable form. Edit as necessary and return reports in either printed or electronic form for review and signature, or correction.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 31-9094.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,150.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 54,070 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Medical Transcriptionists”.
Also Known As…
- Medical Transcriptionists
- Radiology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription Supervisor
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Transcriber
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Language Specialist
- Documentation Specialist
- Clinical Medical Transcriptionist
- Transcription Coordinator
- Transcribing Machine Operator
- Senior Medical Transcriptionist
- Registered Medical Transcriptionist
- Radiology Transcriptionist/Radiology Clerk
- Provider Scribe
- Pathology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription-Radiology
- Medical Transcription Editor
- Medical Stenographer
- Medical Record Transcriber
- Medical Coding Technician
- Medical Administrative Specialist
- Data Transcriber
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Medical Transcriptionist
- Certified Medical Coder
- Certified Coding Specialist
Tasks for “Transcription Specialist”
- Return dictated reports in printed or electronic form for physician's review, signature, and corrections and for inclusion in patients' medical records.
- Receive and screen telephone calls and visitors.
- Perform data entry and data retrieval services, providing data for inclusion in medical records and for transmission to physicians.
- Review and edit transcribed reports or dictated material for spelling, grammar, clarity, consistency, and proper medical terminology.
- Decide which information should be included or excluded in reports.
- Set up and maintain medical files and databases, including records such as x-ray, lab, and procedure reports, medical histories, diagnostic workups, admission and discharge summaries, and clinical resumes.
- Transcribe dictation for a variety of medical reports, such as patient histories, physical examinations, emergency room visits, operations, chart reviews, consultation, or discharge summaries.
- Take dictation using shorthand, a stenotype machine, or headsets and transcribing machines.
- Receive patients, schedule appointments, and maintain patient records.
- Distinguish between homonyms and recognize inconsistencies and mistakes in medical terms, referring to dictionaries, drug references, and other sources on anatomy, physiology, and medicine.
- Identify mistakes in reports and check with doctors to obtain the correct information.
- Translate medical jargon and abbreviations into their expanded forms to ensure the accuracy of patient and health care facility records.
- Produce medical reports, correspondence, records, patient-care information, statistics, medical research, and administrative material.
- Answer inquiries concerning the progress of medical cases, within the limits of confidentiality laws.
- Perform a variety of clerical and office tasks, such as handling incoming and outgoing mail, completing and submitting insurance claims, typing, filing, and operating office machines.
Related Technology & Tools
- Laser facsimile machines
- Personal computers
- Desktop computers
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Postage meters
- Laser printers
- Transcribing equipment
- Notebook computers
- Desktop transcribers
- Integrated Systems Management OmniMD
- Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking Medical
- Microsoft Outlook
- Voice recognition software
- Data entry software
- dBASE Plus
- MedQuist DocQment Enterprise Platform
- Web browser software
- SpeedUp Trans
- Word processing software
- FileMaker Pro
- SpectraMedi EasyFlow
- Database software
- Bytescribe Development Company WavPlayer
- Emmaus MPWord
- Electronic medical record EMR systems
- Crescendo Systems Corporation MedRite-XL
- Microsoft Excel
- Crescendo Systems DigiScribe-XL
- Corel WordPerfect
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Allscripts Misys Healthcare Systems
- Medical terminology databases
- Microsoft Windows
- g-net solutions MTP
- Spreadsheet software
- Spellex AccuCount
- Narratek Smartype
- Sylvan Software ShortCut
- Microsoft Word
- Precision Data Solutions VoicePower
- Sylvan Software Complete Medical Pharmaceutical Spell Checker
- PCC EHR
- Calendar software
- Boston Bar Systems Corporation Sonnet
- Sylvan Software DropChute Pro
- Email software
- Patient billing software