Will “Transcriptionist” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
100 % Chance of Automation
“Transcriptionist” will definitely be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #523 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Transcribe medical reports recorded by physicians and other healthcare practitioners using various electronic devices, covering office visits, emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging studies, operations, chart reviews, and final summaries. Transcribe dictated reports and translate abbreviations into fully understandable form. Edit as necessary and return reports in either printed or electronic form for review and signature, or correction.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 31-9094.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,150.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 54,070 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Medical Transcriptionists”.
Also Known As…
- Medical Transcriptionists
- Radiology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription Supervisor
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Transcriber
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Language Specialist
- Documentation Specialist
- Clinical Medical Transcriptionist
- Transcription Specialist
- Transcription Coordinator
- Transcribing Machine Operator
- Senior Medical Transcriptionist
- Registered Medical Transcriptionist
- Radiology Transcriptionist/Radiology Clerk
- Provider Scribe
- Pathology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription-Radiology
- Medical Transcription Editor
- Medical Stenographer
- Medical Record Transcriber
- Medical Coding Technician
- Medical Administrative Specialist
- Data Transcriber
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Medical Transcriptionist
- Certified Medical Coder
- Certified Coding Specialist
Tasks for “Transcriptionist”
- Perform a variety of clerical and office tasks, such as handling incoming and outgoing mail, completing and submitting insurance claims, typing, filing, and operating office machines.
- Set up and maintain medical files and databases, including records such as x-ray, lab, and procedure reports, medical histories, diagnostic workups, admission and discharge summaries, and clinical resumes.
- Receive and screen telephone calls and visitors.
- Decide which information should be included or excluded in reports.
- Identify mistakes in reports and check with doctors to obtain the correct information.
- Receive patients, schedule appointments, and maintain patient records.
- Perform data entry and data retrieval services, providing data for inclusion in medical records and for transmission to physicians.
- Return dictated reports in printed or electronic form for physician's review, signature, and corrections and for inclusion in patients' medical records.
- Review and edit transcribed reports or dictated material for spelling, grammar, clarity, consistency, and proper medical terminology.
- Transcribe dictation for a variety of medical reports, such as patient histories, physical examinations, emergency room visits, operations, chart reviews, consultation, or discharge summaries.
- Translate medical jargon and abbreviations into their expanded forms to ensure the accuracy of patient and health care facility records.
- Take dictation using shorthand, a stenotype machine, or headsets and transcribing machines.
- Distinguish between homonyms and recognize inconsistencies and mistakes in medical terms, referring to dictionaries, drug references, and other sources on anatomy, physiology, and medicine.
- Produce medical reports, correspondence, records, patient-care information, statistics, medical research, and administrative material.
- Answer inquiries concerning the progress of medical cases, within the limits of confidentiality laws.
Related Technology & Tools
- Notebook computers
- Postage meters
- Transcribing equipment
- Desktop transcribers
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Laser printers
- Personal computers
- Desktop computers
- Laser facsimile machines
- Sylvan Software DropChute Pro
- Crescendo Systems DigiScribe-XL
- Bytescribe Development Company WavPlayer
- Word processing software
- Microsoft Word
- PCC EHR
- Sylvan Software Complete Medical Pharmaceutical Spell Checker
- Microsoft Excel
- Boston Bar Systems Corporation Sonnet
- Data entry software
- Web browser software
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Allscripts Misys Healthcare Systems
- SpeedUp Trans
- Emmaus MPWord
- Corel WordPerfect
- Sylvan Software ShortCut
- MedQuist DocQment Enterprise Platform
- Voice recognition software
- SpectraMedi EasyFlow
- Electronic medical record EMR systems
- Email software
- Spellex AccuCount
- Integrated Systems Management OmniMD
- Microsoft Outlook
- Crescendo Systems Corporation MedRite-XL
- Patient billing software
- Calendar software
- Precision Data Solutions VoicePower
- Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking Medical
- Medical terminology databases
- Spreadsheet software
- Microsoft Windows
- FileMaker Pro
- dBASE Plus
- g-net solutions MTP
- Database software
- Narratek Smartype