Will “Transcriptionist” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
100 % Chance of Automation
“Transcriptionist” will definitely be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #523 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Transcribe medical reports recorded by physicians and other healthcare practitioners using various electronic devices, covering office visits, emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging studies, operations, chart reviews, and final summaries. Transcribe dictated reports and translate abbreviations into fully understandable form. Edit as necessary and return reports in either printed or electronic form for review and signature, or correction.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 31-9094.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,150.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 54,070 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Medical Transcriptionists”.
Also Known As…
- Medical Transcriptionists
- Radiology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription Supervisor
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Transcriber
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Language Specialist
- Documentation Specialist
- Clinical Medical Transcriptionist
- Transcription Specialist
- Transcription Coordinator
- Transcribing Machine Operator
- Senior Medical Transcriptionist
- Registered Medical Transcriptionist
- Radiology Transcriptionist/Radiology Clerk
- Provider Scribe
- Pathology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription-Radiology
- Medical Transcription Editor
- Medical Stenographer
- Medical Record Transcriber
- Medical Coding Technician
- Medical Administrative Specialist
- Data Transcriber
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Medical Transcriptionist
- Certified Medical Coder
- Certified Coding Specialist
Tasks for “Transcriptionist”
- Return dictated reports in printed or electronic form for physician's review, signature, and corrections and for inclusion in patients' medical records.
- Distinguish between homonyms and recognize inconsistencies and mistakes in medical terms, referring to dictionaries, drug references, and other sources on anatomy, physiology, and medicine.
- Perform a variety of clerical and office tasks, such as handling incoming and outgoing mail, completing and submitting insurance claims, typing, filing, and operating office machines.
- Review and edit transcribed reports or dictated material for spelling, grammar, clarity, consistency, and proper medical terminology.
- Decide which information should be included or excluded in reports.
- Transcribe dictation for a variety of medical reports, such as patient histories, physical examinations, emergency room visits, operations, chart reviews, consultation, or discharge summaries.
- Take dictation using shorthand, a stenotype machine, or headsets and transcribing machines.
- Identify mistakes in reports and check with doctors to obtain the correct information.
- Produce medical reports, correspondence, records, patient-care information, statistics, medical research, and administrative material.
- Receive patients, schedule appointments, and maintain patient records.
- Perform data entry and data retrieval services, providing data for inclusion in medical records and for transmission to physicians.
- Translate medical jargon and abbreviations into their expanded forms to ensure the accuracy of patient and health care facility records.
- Set up and maintain medical files and databases, including records such as x-ray, lab, and procedure reports, medical histories, diagnostic workups, admission and discharge summaries, and clinical resumes.
- Answer inquiries concerning the progress of medical cases, within the limits of confidentiality laws.
- Receive and screen telephone calls and visitors.
Related Technology & Tools
- Laser facsimile machines
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Desktop computers
- Personal computers
- Notebook computers
- Transcribing equipment
- Laser printers
- Desktop transcribers
- Postage meters
- Microsoft Word
- Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking Medical
- Microsoft Excel
- Narratek Smartype
- Bytescribe Development Company WavPlayer
- Crescendo Systems Corporation MedRite-XL
- Emmaus MPWord
- FileMaker Pro
- PCC EHR
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- g-net solutions MTP
- SpeedUp Trans
- Microsoft Windows
- Sylvan Software ShortCut
- Patient billing software
- Crescendo Systems DigiScribe-XL
- Sylvan Software DropChute Pro
- Calendar software
- Microsoft Outlook
- Integrated Systems Management OmniMD
- Voice recognition software
- Database software
- MedQuist DocQment Enterprise Platform
- Spreadsheet software
- Spellex AccuCount
- Web browser software
- Data entry software
- Corel WordPerfect
- Boston Bar Systems Corporation Sonnet
- Sylvan Software Complete Medical Pharmaceutical Spell Checker
- Email software
- dBASE Plus
- SpectraMedi EasyFlow
- Word processing software
- Electronic medical record EMR systems
- Allscripts Misys Healthcare Systems
- Medical terminology databases
- Precision Data Solutions VoicePower